GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS vs ES?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-13, 09:46 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Is this accurate? I got the feeling that the dealer had many ES 2913 left but not many 2013 GS left?

Perhaps there is some aggressive YE pricing on the GS?

As I read this site it appears Lexus pricing varies a quite a bit by region? My dealer appears somewhat reasonable...on an '13 ES he started at "invoice" hr quoted at $41,680 on MSRP of $44,063 and then said there is a lease/finance "incentive" of $1,000. I did a KBB and actually got it to match the MSRP exactly and KBB said invoice sb $41,134...$546 less than the dealer. I would finance to get the $1,000 and likely pay off...he says they ask 3 payments but said you can payoff after one payment.

Thus $44,063 MSP for net of $40,680...7.68% discount off MSRP. They have a pretty good stock of 2013 ES and part of me says this late in year the price could be a bit better. Our problem here in Minneapolis is that both dealers...St Paul and Mpls are owned by the same ownership. Not sure how far I would have to go to do any comparison shopping?

Thanks...Tom
The reason there is more ES is because Lexus stocks a lot more ES than GS.

ES sells over 6,000 units per month
GS sells between 1-2,000 units
Old 10-14-13, 11:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I came from a 2010 ES, it was my second ES, I had a 2003 before it. I looked at the GS this time because I was so dissatisfied with the decontenting of the 2013 ES over my previous 2010.

I will never go back to the ES. The GS is a tremendous upgrade, its much more solid, the interior is much better, the ride while firmer is more damped, more controlled, and feels more "premium". Overall the vehicle just seems like a real luxury car in all the right ways that the ES does not.

Now, the ES is a great car and mine served me quite well...but the GS is much more car.
Old 10-14-13, 11:58 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

before the GS I had an 04 ES.. it was a great car, esp. when your 18... They are different cars. The ES is a great car but i felt being "younger" the GS was more sporty/youthful. When I see another ES on the road (which there are plentiful of, it's ways (sorry not to offend anyone) I would see a 65 year old women behind the wheel.

The ride is better and different, interior is better etc. and that's reflected in the price. I went with the luxury because one I didn't like the aluminum trim.. and I thought the ride was a bit stiff. If I was doing it over I would have taken another test drive the F sport, but I figure with the drive mode select, I could have a luxury ride or a sport ride. Also, the F sport wasn't available in the deep sea mica

Also something to consider is the GS is AWD while the ES is front wheel...
Old 10-14-13, 12:02 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife and I just sold our Harleys and ended 15 years of MC touring...maybe that is my "rationale" on why I need a GS! Move from NC touring to GS touring. Need some more seat time in each...back to back...to get a better comparison.

Thanks...Tom
Well, I have a Luxury version GS AND a Harley - But I get where from where you are coming!

I've driven both the ES and the GS...And to me there is no comparison. The ES is a good car, well built and dependable, but it is the entry-level Lexus sedan, and it is based on a Toyota platform, while the GS is engineered as a Lexus from the ground up. The comfort and handling of the GS are far superior to the ES, and I think you will really appreciate it on long trips. To me, the Luxury version is the best combination of comfort and performance - Although I think some of the F-Sport faithful here may disagree with me!

Honestly, either car would be a good decision, but if you're like me and keep cars for an extended period of time, I think you will more satisfied with the GS.
Old 10-14-13, 12:18 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
This thread shows that even people on a Lexus forum cross-shop the GS and ES, i can only imagine how the general public decides.

No wonder GS sales are horrendous.
Can you stop with this in every thread you can find? OMG people cross shop, big deal.

You also forget the GS hit its sales goal last year, short only 800 units.

Please just stop. The ES is a volume car, the GS is not.

The GS doesn't have 4 cylinder versions here.

The GS doesn't have a wagon, a high power series, a hatchback vesion etc etc.

GS sales are FINE. They are a solid 3rd and Lexus is happy with their piece of the pie.

You want horrendous sales, look no further than the brand new Acura RLX that can barely sell 400 units a month or the Infiniti M37/56 that has the V-8 everyone wants on the internet but no one buys in reality.
Old 10-14-13, 12:19 PM
LexFather

As for ES vs GS, the ES is a fine car but doesn't hold a candle to the GS.
Old 10-14-13, 01:43 PM
bean006
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I have to agree with Bluprint's statement.

My wife drives the UL for 2013 ES 350; but I still prefer driving my 2013 GS 350 even tho the 2013 ES 350 comes with additional features that my car doesn't have.
Old 10-14-13, 03:21 PM
advan34i
Rookie

ES is a family sedan where comfort is priority while the GS is a sports sedan it feels/drives firmer, sportier, rwd, two completely different cars. both great cars, really depends what your are looking for.
Old 10-14-13, 04:47 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Think the dealer has a lot more '13 ES vs GS...will ahve to discuss with them.

Thanks for the input...btw...not an easy way to "improve" ES handling just a bit with larger sway bars and improved shocks??? Just remove the "floater" sensation??

Thanks...Tom
You live in Minnesota. I lived there for 15 years. Dude, get a GS with AWD. You don't need the F-Sport. Any GS can come with AWD. Done.
Old 10-14-13, 04:56 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 240benzo
ES should only be an option if price is a big factor
otherwise this should be a IS vs GS conversation since the ES isnt up to par with either of these
From what he said, the IS would be too small.

Last edited by Trek; 10-14-13 at 05:01 PM.
Old 10-14-13, 05:19 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trek
From what he said, the IS would be too small.
Ya...want a three person (adult) back seat...at least comfortable around town. Grand kids are growing up. No they won't get to use it! Also seem to take everything we own on road trips and like the size of the mid-full size 4 door vehicles...as well as the size of larger trunk space. SUVs too high center of gravity and too soft suspension.

Tom
Old 10-14-13, 06:14 PM
jucytec
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Buy an SUV if you are road tripping with 5 people. Eeeek!
i ended up buying a pilot for the family trips. gs is just fir me
Old 10-14-13, 07:22 PM
Trek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jucytec
i ended up buying a pilot for the family trips. gs is just fir me
Exactly! I bought the wife a GMC Acadia Denali. That's the car for family trips. The GS is just for me!
Old 10-14-13, 08:31 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
So true. Subpar interior, numb steering, non-supportive seats, road noise without high performance tires. Here are my observations from my ES loaner. My GS felt so much more substantial, solid and grounded when I got it back.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...es-loaner.html

For the OP, if you are doing lots of highway driving the GS is an exceptional car that feels very solid and stuck to the road and the supportive seats will make sure you get to your destination refreshed and without a sore behind.
Old 10-14-13, 08:37 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zicogold
Drove the ES when buying and there is no comparison between it and and the GS. The GS is a much better ride in every way. The question I have is the ES a worthy step up to the Avalon? I used to own an Av and have soft spot for terrific car. I see about a 50-50 split of ES and Avalons on the road here. The styling of the Av seems to be popular and I always expect to see George Jetson at the wheel when an Avalon pull up beside me.
Great point. Even the auto mags have indicated the Avalon has a better quality interior than the ES and questioned why (aside from the great Lexus service and brand prestige) one would pay more for the ES when the Avalon seems more luxurious.

Quick Reply: GS vs ES?