GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Observations from ES Loaner

Old 10-10-13, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Observations from ES Loaner

I left my GS350 at the dealership today for "cosmetic" service. Really glad I got the Wheel and Dent packages because I have both, so they are going to make my baby look as good as new.

Anyway, I have an ES350 as a loaner and I've never even sat in one before. For what it's worth, here are a few observations:

-The car gets up to speed pretty quickly, but in Sport mode I actually felt torque steer through the steering wheel.
-The steering is about as numb as it gets
-The seats are soft and non-supportive. My back is aching already.
-It soaks up bumps fairly well, but there is about as much road noise as with my GS F Sport, This surprised me considering the high performance tires on the GS.
-The standard sound system is actually pretty good. Actually made me wonder if the ML system is really worth it.
-Some of the plastics on the console and the headliner are cheap, cheap, cheap
-I really like the dash layout in the ES. Pretty sharp.
-The seat coolers stay ON even when the car is restarted. Why don't they stay on in the GS?

That's pretty much it. If an ES became my only choice I could certainly be happy with it, but I am so looking forward to getting my GS back!
Old 10-10-13, 08:52 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Your view will change more when you seat in your GS again. Its a nice car but the GS is a completely different animal. I've driven both ES and ES Hybrid. I really felt the hiccup when the hybrid comes to a full stop and starts again. I thought the GS premium sound sounded better.
Old 10-10-13, 09:09 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I pretty much felt the same way about the ES. I actually did like the hybrid, a lot. The transition was a bit noticeable but other than that it was great IMO. A great car for when I'm old and care about the environment more than I love driving. :P

Random note, my advisor informed me of a new rule regarding loaners recently this year. They are limiting the 4GS loaners to 25 and over due to youngens crashing them too often. I found it funny considering I own one but I can "loan" one lol. Don't blame them though.
Old 10-10-13, 09:12 PM
flippd
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By seat coolers, do you mean the ventilated seats? Mine stay on after I turn the car on/off...
Old 10-10-13, 09:19 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I pretty much felt the same way about the ES. I actually did like the hybrid, a lot. The transition was a bit noticeable but other than that it was great IMO. A great car for when I'm old and care about the environment more than I love driving. :P

Random note, my advisor informed me of a new rule regarding loaners recently this year. They are limiting the 4GS loaners to 25 and over due to youngens crashing them too often. I found it funny considering I own one but I can "loan" one lol. Don't blame them though.
what do they give them then? IS'?
Old 10-10-13, 09:23 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The hybrid has a trunk spoiler and the non hybrid does not... I know it is supposed to improve the MPG on the hybrid but it still doesn't make sense to me. Lexus did a better job with 13, it does get up rather quickly but there is also a lag at times when the gas pedal is pressed. As stated, it's a far cry from the GS F Sport.
Old 10-10-13, 09:30 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
what do they give them then? IS'?
So far I've gotten an IS250, ES350, and ES300h with the hybrid being my favorite. That feeling when getting back into the GS though is so great.
Old 10-10-13, 09:33 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I also had an ES as a loaner once. I thought it was ok. Didn't like the steering at all. The fwd didn't help it either. Liked it more than the CT they gave me once. Was so glad to get back in my GS F-sport.
Old 10-11-13, 06:56 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had an RX 350 twice and really liked it for an SUV. I had one ES and it felt so much cheaper than the GS in the seating and feel. I thought the standard sound system was far inferior to the ML in my GS
Old 10-11-13, 07:19 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I have always thought of the ES as an overpriced Camry. It rides nice but not worth the price to me. The RX350 I really like,. My ExGF had one and I actually like driving it around. I can see why it's a top seller.
Old 10-11-13, 08:08 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

So you axed her after you got your own lexus? RX is nice. We actually like the ride from the previous gen more. Can never adapt to the new ride.
Old 10-11-13, 08:18 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
So you axed her after you got your own lexus? RX is nice. We actually like the ride from the previous gen more. Can never adapt to the new ride.
Hahahaa. Actually I went out and got the GS350 after we broke up. I missed the Lexus more than I missed her. LOL
Old 10-11-13, 10:39 AM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

I second! (Both heat or ventilated remain on after on/off).

Originally Posted by flippd
By seat coolers, do you mean the ventilated seats? Mine stay on after I turn the car on/off...
Old 10-11-13, 03:56 PM
alex206
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yok3dIS
I second! (Both heat or ventilated remain on after on/off).
Did it come stock like that or
Did you get it fixed at the dealer? Mines would turn off after 15 min or so. I got it to stay on after visiting the dealer but would need to press the button again if I turn the car off and then start the car again.
Old 10-11-13, 07:52 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by flippd
Yes. Maybe yours are programmed differently, but mine switch off when I turn off the car and I have to turn them on again every time I start it again. Anybody else with the same situation?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Observations from ES Loaner