DIY: GS 350 F Sport Fog Lights Installation Guide, non-oem switch

Old 03-08-16, 07:07 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Found this wiring diagram...woo hoo.

2013 Lexus GS 350 DirectWire 2.0 Vehicle Information
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...111eXUuvx38EAg

Also found this in regards to a DRL/Parking light trigger without going into the firewall.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml#post7413301

Last edited by ricam78; 03-09-16 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-08-16, 11:08 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This will probably help you guys out

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...em-switch.html
Old 03-09-16, 06:46 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PK_Celsior
This will probably help you guys out

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...em-switch.html
Bookmarked thank you! You dont by chance have the pinout for this BA2 connector do you? I am not going with the OEM stalk or even a button switch install, BUT I would like a convenient place to tap or insert my trigger wire so that the fogs come on with the parking lights under the hood in a weathertight place if at all possible.

THANKS

Old 03-09-16, 12:24 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Little more digging turned up this in regards to DRL lights being the trigger for the fogs. I do wonder if this will be a problem if halogen fogs are used though. I would still pull power from the battery but would use the middle wire of the LED daytime running lamp adapter found below the headlight as my trigger.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Lexus-GS-FS...tion-a/697.htm

Old 03-02-17, 11:22 PM
Jake
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After years of contemplating I have decided to buy this kit from iJDMTOY. I ideally would like the fog lights to only come on with the headlights but would that draw too much power? If not which wire should be used to T-Tap?
Was it decided that the 14-18 gauge T-Tap should be used for the green wire?
Old 03-03-17, 05:28 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jake
After years of contemplating I have decided to buy this kit from iJDMTOY. I ideally would like the fog lights to only come on with the headlights but would that draw too much power? If not which wire should be used to T-Tap?
Was it decided that the 14-18 gauge T-Tap should be used for the green wire?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-started.html
Old 05-10-18, 08:09 PM
MeGaMiLLi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a super old thread but I had to say thank you because I just purchased OPT7 LED AURA Underbody Lighting Kit and could not find how to get the wires inside the car. Your detailed explanation on how to get to and through the firewall is a life saver!!!
Old 08-14-18, 06:14 AM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

i wanted to use a fuse tap for my switch power. do you guys know which fuse on the driver side or inside the engine i soils need to tap?
Old 09-16-18, 01:42 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Allb18c
Nice write up!

For those who want a stealthier switch install location you can use the toggle switch style and mount it inside the coin pocket as shown here with double sided tape:
Attachment 427516
is there a way to access the coin pocket without drilling?
Old 01-18-20, 10:06 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
Default How do you tap a wire?

Newbie question - how do you tap a wire?
Old 01-18-20, 10:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,413 Posts

Originally Posted by Neophyte2b
Newbie question - how do you tap a wire?
You just kinda give it a little tap. It's not quite as hard as a thump...

Old 01-24-20, 08:55 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mso4
INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2. Locate and remove these plastic plugs (11) in order to expose the area on top of the headlights and radiator. Lift and remove the passenger headlight smaller plastic section. Then remove the larger plastic cover on top radiator.

Attachment 427519
Attachment 427520

Here the red lines indicate roughly where you will run your harness and a single trigger (parking light) wire into the cabin. Here's a quick summary don't worry I'll go more into details later:

Near the battery you will attach your harness Relay, Ground, and Positive power source. Route shorter end of harness toward front passenger fog area. Then continue the longer end of the harness across the bottom in front of the radiator toward the driver side fog. Then run the single long Trigger wire back toward the engine firewall and into the cabin to your switch. Then attach your switch ground. Finally tap the parking light power source in the cabin to your switch and you're set!

Attachment 427521
Attachment 427522

3. So here near the battery corner, unbolt a nut at R and mount your harness Relay. Below and to the right locate another bolt (G) with multiple ground wires attached. Use this to connect your harness Ground wire. At this point you can attach your harness Power wire (has an inline fuse) to the Positive battery terminal. I actually didn't do this until the last step of the fog install. Just don't forget to come back if you choose to do this.

Attachment 427523
Attachment 427524

4. Run harness down passenger side of fender. I actually wrapped the harness with black electric tape to keep an OEM look. Run shorter end of harness into passenger fog light area. I'll show you how to get access to the fog light later.

5. Now run longer part of harness in front of the radiator. You can secure the harness using double sided tape and zip tie. Continue running the longer part of the harness across the radiator to the driver fog light area. We'll come back to finish this part later.

Attachment 427525
Attachment 427526
Attachment 427527
Attachment 427528

6. At this point there should be a final single longer wire that needs to be routed into the cabin and connected to your switch. Run this Trigger wire (red arrow) up the driver side of fender toward the firewall of the engine.

Attachment 427529

7. When you're at the engine firewall on the driver side. Remove this plastic cover. There are two different plastic clips. Remove the first one like the previous 11 clips in the beginning. The second clip in a plug in so just lift up. Finally release tab closest to firewall and lift cover out.

Attachment 427530

8. Now notice where this metal stick is pointing. That is where you will be looking for a rubber grommet. You want to run your Trigger wire through this and into the interior cabin. Since this is much easier if done from inside the car. The next step will show you how.

Attachment 427531
Attachment 427532

9. From inside your car on the driver side. Get down and look right above the dead pedal. You will see this black round grommet. Get something like a coat hanger and poke a hole through this area (red circle). Now go back to the engine side and try to secure your trigger wire to that hanger (probably the second most difficult part of the install). Then pull the coat hanger and Trigger wire through the rubber grommet into the cabin.

Now get your switch. It will have three connections. First is ground, second is parking light power, and we'll call the third "Trigger". Connect the Trigger wire you just pulled in from the engine to this wire.

10. Under the big round grommet above you will find a good Ground point (red square). Attach your switch Ground wire here. Now you will have the last remaining parking light power source. We'll do that next.

Attachment 427533

11. To tap the parking light power source you first need to remove this plastic panel under the knee airbag sign (3 screws and 2 clips) on the driver side.

Attachment 427534

12. Locate this white harness on the driver side above dead pedal.

Attachment 427535

13. On the harness you need to locate this green wire (red arrow). This is the parking light power source that needs to be connected to your switch. The fog light only turns on when the parking lights are on. Here you can see the parking light wire already being tapped by red wire. This was the most difficult part of the install!

Attachment 427536

14. Now you can mount the switch where ever you like. I mounted my switch between the seat cooler buttons with double sided tapes. Some people mount them under the dash or on the dash somewhere.

Attachment 427537

15. Now we turn your attention back to the fog light areas in the bumper. Turn the steering wheel toward one side for easier access to the wheel wells. Remove two plastic clips and one or two screws from under the bumper. Lift fender lining out of the way to route the harness/ plug and install the fog bezels and lights.

Attachment 427538
Attachment 427539
Attachment 427540

16. Here's what it should look like after removing the OEM F Sport bezel (4 clips) and install your JDM fog lights and bezels. Again you only need to screw the two bottom screws. Leave the top two taps unsecured, don't worry it's pretty tight.

Attachment 427541

If you haven't done so attached your fused positive wire to the battery and test our your new fog lights!! They should look something like this. Don't worry I'm testing out two bulbs that's why the colors are different

Attachment 427542
What wire should I connect to of I want the fog lights to turn on with the headlights?
Old 02-26-20, 07:44 AM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Disconnect the negative battery terminal.

2. Locate and remove these plastic plugs (11) in order to expose the area on top of the headlights and radiator. Lift and remove the passenger headlight smaller plastic section. Then remove the larger plastic cover on top radiator.

Attachment 427519
Attachment 427520

Here the red lines indicate roughly where you will run your harness and a single trigger (parking light) wire into the cabin. Here's a quick summary don't worry I'll go more into details later:

Near the battery you will attach your harness Relay, Ground, and Positive power source. Route shorter end of harness toward front passenger fog area. Then continue the longer end of the harness across the bottom in front of the radiator toward the driver side fog. Then run the single long Trigger wire back toward the engine firewall and into the cabin to your switch. Then attach your switch ground. Finally tap the parking light power source in the cabin to your switch and you're set!

Attachment 427521
Attachment 427522

3. So here near the battery corner, unbolt a nut at R and mount your harness Relay. Below and to the right locate another bolt (G) with multiple ground wires attached. Use this to connect your harness Ground wire. At this point you can attach your harness Power wire (has an inline fuse) to the Positive battery terminal. I actually didn't do this until the last step of the fog install. Just don't forget to come back if you choose to do this.

Attachment 427523
Attachment 427524

4. Run harness down passenger side of fender. I actually wrapped the harness with black electric tape to keep an OEM look. Run shorter end of harness into passenger fog light area. I'll show you how to get access to the fog light later.

5. Now run longer part of harness in front of the radiator. You can secure the harness using double sided tape and zip tie. Continue running the longer part of the harness across the radiator to the driver fog light area. We'll come back to finish this part later.

Attachment 427525
Attachment 427526
Attachment 427527
Attachment 427528

6. At this point there should be a final single longer wire that needs to be routed into the cabin and connected to your switch. Run this Trigger wire (red arrow) up the driver side of fender toward the firewall of the engine.

Attachment 427529

7. When you're at the engine firewall on the driver side. Remove this plastic cover. There are two different plastic clips. Remove the first one like the previous 11 clips in the beginning. The second clip in a plug in so just lift up. Finally release tab closest to firewall and lift cover out.

Attachment 427530

8. Now notice where this metal stick is pointing. That is where you will be looking for a rubber grommet. You want to run your Trigger wire through this and into the interior cabin. Since this is much easier if done from inside the car. The next step will show you how.

Attachment 427531
Attachment 427532

9. From inside your car on the driver side. Get down and look right above the dead pedal. You will see this black round grommet. Get something like a coat hanger and poke a hole through this area (red circle). Now go back to the engine side and try to secure your trigger wire to that hanger (probably the second most difficult part of the install). Then pull the coat hanger and Trigger wire through the rubber grommet into the cabin.

Now get your switch. It will have three connections. First is ground, second is parking light power, and we'll call the third "Trigger". Connect the Trigger wire you just pulled in from the engine to this wire.

10. Under the big round grommet above you will find a good Ground point (red square). Attach your switch Ground wire here. Now you will have the last remaining parking light power source. We'll do that next.

Attachment 427533

11. To tap the parking light power source you first need to remove this plastic panel under the knee airbag sign (3 screws and 2 clips) on the driver side.

Attachment 427534

12. Locate this white harness on the driver side above dead pedal.

Attachment 427535

13. On the harness you need to locate this green wire (red arrow). This is the parking light power source that needs to be connected to your switch. The fog light only turns on when the parking lights are on. Here you can see the parking light wire already being tapped by red wire. This was the most difficult part of the install!

Attachment 427536

14. Now you can mount the switch where ever you like. I mounted my switch between the seat cooler buttons with double sided tapes. Some people mount them under the dash or on the dash somewhere.

Attachment 427537

15. Now we turn your attention back to the fog light areas in the bumper. Turn the steering wheel toward one side for easier access to the wheel wells. Remove two plastic clips and one or two screws from under the bumper. Lift fender lining out of the way to route the harness/ plug and install the fog bezels and lights.

Attachment 427538
Attachment 427539
Attachment 427540

16. Here's what it should look like after removing the OEM F Sport bezel (4 clips) and install your JDM fog lights and bezels. Again you only need to screw the two bottom screws. Leave the top two taps unsecured, don't worry it's pretty tight.

Attachment 427541

If you haven't done so attached your fused positive wire to the battery and test our your new fog lights!! They should look something like this. Don't worry I'm testing out two bulbs that's why the colors are different

Attachment 427542
How do you pull the tabs away from the bumper once you've removed the clips?
Old 02-26-20, 07:16 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

@Neophyte2b – Which bumper tabs are you referring to? Once you remove the top plastic pieces, the two additional pop-plugs (what I call the plastic plugs that fasten the underhood plastic covers down) near the headlights, and remove the plugs and bolt in each wheel well, you can pull the bumper off (after removing all the screws along the underside, of course).

For the wiring, the best option I found was the parking light wire. It is in the cabin, under the dash in the driver's kick panel. Pull the lower dash panel off (3 screws and 2 pinch clips) and then I also found it useful to pull off the panel above it (under steering wheel). Remove the side panel with the driver door open, and remove the radio surround, and then you can pull the middle panel (below steering wheel) off.

The wire is against the fender to the left of the dead pedal / footrest. It's a white plug with several wires – the green one on the top row (first one closest to you on the top row) is the one you want. It's a huge pain in the *** to tap, but once you have the remote trigger wire tapped into that, the fogs will turn on with the parking lights, which gives you the ability to run them with your DRLs (no headlights) or with everything.

I don't have pictures myself, but the pictures ARE in other threads – that's how I learned.

The entire job is a pain. It looks amazing, but it's a pain I don't recommend. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Neophyte2b (05-25-20)
Old 05-25-20, 07:19 PM
Neophyte2b
Intermediate

As requested by those who wants to install fog lights in their F Sports using a generic switch. This is a really fun weekend project and I think you'll enjoy it as well.

Attachment 427543

MATERIALS NEEDED:

1. Toyota fog lights (2) PN 81210-0D042* (R) and 81220-0D042* (L)

*Ok to use 41, and 40 (last 2 digits) part numbers. Toyota uses these same fog lights in many of their cars. They update their parts number every few years even though it's the same part.

Attachment 427544
Attachment 427545

2. Screws to secure fog lights to bumper PN 93567-A5014. You will need four (4).

3. F Sport JDM fog light bezels (2) I don't have the PN for these JDM (Lexus Japan) parts.
I got mine from Nigel JDM Parts.

Attachment 427546

4. A high quality fog light harness and switch. I got these on fleabay (search title below). I like the harness but I ended up not using the switch. I liked the push button one better, just personal preference.

WIRING HARNESS 4 CATZ HELLA PIAA BOSCH KC FOG LIGHTS

Attachment 427547

5. Optional switch. I didn't like the switch above so I purchased a PIAA push button switch. It is a push button and allows you to stick it any where you want without drilling a hole.

PIAA Single Push Button LED Switch, PN 30034

Attachment 427548

6. Putco 230008HD Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring Standard Harness (for H11 fog light bulbs)

Amazon.com: Putco 230008HD Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring Standard Harness: Automotive

Attachment 427549

I'll post the rest of the instructions later when I get a chance.
I know that this is an old thread, but... Where does the Putco Harness go? Are you splicing it to the end of the Catz Harness to the blue and black wires?