GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Galaxy S4 / Windows Phone 8 Bluetooth SMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 10:17 AM
jtlex77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Galaxy S4 / Windows Phone 8 Bluetooth SMS

When I receive SMS over bluetooth from my Samsung Galaxy S4 to my 2013 GS350 it will read the message over the car speakers but I can only choose one of 15 canned responses with the controller. When my son connects his Nokia Windows 8 phone it will allow him to reply verbally. I want my Samsung to do this.

I was told that a phone needs to support Message Access Profile to be able to do this. I looked at both phone specs and it says Samsung-Yes, Nokia-No. So why does Nokia work and Samsung not?

Last edited by jtlex77; 09-08-13 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 10:39 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, I didn't even know the car supported that. That's awesome. I have the S4 and can only reply with the 15 messages.
Old 09-08-13, 02:27 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Meanwhile those with an iPhone can't reply at all lol. That's pretty cool though! I didn't even know it was a feature. I wonder if it uses the car's voice recognition or the nokia's.
Old 09-08-13, 03:15 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's more of a phone function than the car, but from what I understand Siri integration will be coming with the 2014 models for those iOS users.

For the Galaxy S4, enable Driving Mode, and/or set up the "Car" option in My Places by having it recognize the bluetooth connection to the car. Or, doubleclick the home button and say "Turn on driving mode". That makes S Voice more tailored for driving.

http://www.technipages.com/samsung-g...ving-mode.html

Now when a text message arrives, your phone will read it out loud, and it will ask you if you want to reply. Play around with it and you'll get a handle on how it works.

Remember, it's through your phone's speaker not the car, but the car will also display a message about an incoming message and ask similar options, except voice reply. If you want to play the message through the car's speakers, I believe you'll have to switch over to Bluetooth Audio. That may also use the car's microphone too, but I'm not sure.

I have an iPod permanently in the car, so I rarely use bluetooth audio, so I can't tell you for sure if S Voice will interrupt any music playback to read out a message. If I have time tonight, I may play around with S Voice to learn a little more.

Hope that helps. I'm not a Windows phone user, so I can't comment on the that. I'd imagine it would have to be using bluetooth, similar to Android.
Old 09-08-13, 04:14 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by jscgs350
It's more of a phone function than the car, but from what I understand Siri integration will be coming with the 2014 models for those iOS users.

For the Galaxy S4, enable Driving Mode, and/or set up the "Car" option in My Places by having it recognize the bluetooth connection to the car. Or, doubleclick the home button and say "Turn on driving mode". That makes S Voice more tailored for driving.

http://www.technipages.com/samsung-g...ving-mode.html

Now when a text message arrives, your phone will read it out loud, and it will ask you if you want to reply. Play around with it and you'll get a handle on how it works.

Remember, it's through your phone's speaker not the car, but the car will also display a message about an incoming message and ask similar options, except voice reply. If you want to play the message through the car's speakers, I believe you'll have to switch over to Bluetooth Audio. That may also use the car's microphone too, but I'm not sure.

I have an iPod permanently in the car, so I rarely use bluetooth audio, so I can't tell you for sure if S Voice will interrupt any music playback to read out a message. If I have time tonight, I may play around with S Voice to learn a little more.

Hope that helps. I'm not a Windows phone user, so I can't comment on the that. I'd imagine it would have to be using bluetooth, similar to Android.
I had some time to experiment right after I posted this, so here's what I did:

Went to the BT Audio tab and it started up Google Music from where I left off from my workout.

Started S Voice and used my wife's phone to send myself a txt message.

Once received, both the car and S Voice (through the car's speakers) said I got a new message and asked me what to do. On the car, I did not select anything, but I did ask S Voice to play the message, and it did. The music volume was significantly reduced during the message playback.

After the message was played, S Voice asked me if I wanted to reply. I said "reply", and then my message, and then it was followed by another dialog by S Voice, and then I said "send". If I remember right, the music paused while I spoke my message.

All in all, not bad and not too difficult to use or to have it recognize my voice. I could see myself using S Voice if I needed to have a conversation that couldn't wait for a phone call. A while ago I ended up modifying those predetermined messages from Lexus so they sounded more like they were from me with my words. I'm use to that now, so I'll probably not switch to S Voice.
Old 09-09-13, 07:56 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Interesting. Never knew I could send a text with my voice. Will have to try it out with my GS4
Old 10-13-13, 05:50 PM
Gizmo76
Driver School Candidate

I purchased an Lexus ES350 2013 model last year and still loving it. I really love the features it has with bluetooth and allowing you to control your iphone's itune playlist via the car controls. Unfortunately when I switched (previous iPhone4 user) to the Samsung GS4, I no longer have this capability. The GS4 doesn't display your playlists on the LCD like the iPhone. Therefore, in order for you to switch between various playlists you have to actually log into your phone and change it. With the iPhone everything was available and view-able via the car's LCD and could make selections using the mouse. I really loved this capability as I drive long distances quite frequently. I called Samsung to report my problem and they told me the SG4 doesn't display on your car's LCD like it does on the application. It just plays the music. Returning the SG4. Disappointed

Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-14-13, 02:38 PM
MDUser
Driver School Candidate

I also purchased new ES350 (2013) and have a windows phone. The integration with Bluetooth is working fine.
Old 10-14-13, 04:05 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Originally Posted by Gizmo76
I purchased an Lexus ES350 2013 model last year and still loving it. I really love the features it has with bluetooth and allowing you to control your iphone's itune playlist via the car controls. Unfortunately when I switched (previous iPhone4 user) to the Samsung GS4, I no longer have this capability. The GS4 doesn't display your playlists on the LCD like the iPhone. Therefore, in order for you to switch between various playlists you have to actually log into your phone and change it. With the iPhone everything was available and view-able via the car's LCD and could make selections using the mouse. I really loved this capability as I drive long distances quite frequently. I called Samsung to report my problem and they told me the SG4 doesn't display on your car's LCD like it does on the application. It just plays the music. Returning the SG4. Disappointed

Does anyone else have this problem?
Lexus decided to do more integration with iOS than Android or Windows, so you won't get the same functionality with your S4. I'm disappointed as well, but I'm getting use to it, but I have a dedicated iPod in the car too...

When Vaistech comes out with their Android solution for our cars, I'll be the first to buy; but until then, I'm using Settings Profile, Keepscreen, and Samsung's TecTile NFC's to make a few things happen with S Voice and Google Play for my music.

Vaistech? How's The iVIC coming along for our 2013 GS?

http://www.vaistech.com/site/iVIC-droid.php
Old 05-07-14, 09:42 AM
Kajn
Rookie

Morning all,

I have a 2013 GS350 and just got a galaxy note 3 and it worked great by displaying the text message on my nav screen and then I could choose one of the preset responses which I thought was terrific until recently it stopped all together. I went to AT&T this morning and they could not fix it. The car message setting on the Phone menu is fine, please help me get my phone to display the messages again.

Thanks
Old 05-12-14, 05:12 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Kajn - my S4 just stopped working as well. It was related to the OTA update to Android 4.4.2 that I just got - I think. Until that version update everything worked great.

I'm assuming the same may have happened to you. I haven't spent must time debugging the issue to see if it's a Lexus or Android "thing".
Old 05-13-14, 09:46 AM
miamoose
Driver School Candidate

My LG G2 SMS stopped working as well as soon as I updated to Android 4.4.2. I unpaired the phone from the car and re-paired it and it actually worked for a couple of weeks, but has now quit working again. Oddly enough the messages are all updated to the car, but they will not display when they arrive.
Old 05-13-14, 10:40 AM
praetor
Racer

So it's not just me. I'm having issues with the BT cutting in and out on my GS4 and 2013 GS FSport. It's so irritating
Old 05-28-14, 07:25 AM
praetor
Racer

I finally put in a call into Verizon and complained about my bluetooth constantly cutting out. They admitted there was a problem with BT since the last update but there was no way to revert back to pre-4.4.2 update. They are promising a fix from Samsung in about three weeks. Hope this fixes it then or they will owe me a new phone.
Old 05-28-14, 07:36 AM
Kayman
Driver

Meanwhile those with a Blackberry Z30 on OS10 can do all of it... seriously buy the best phone on the market and stop believing the biased American press. I have every Android app I want and the security and function of QNX running in my car.

Quick Reply: Galaxy S4 / Windows Phone 8 Bluetooth SMS