GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Windshield Replacement

Old 08-31-13, 02:27 PM
jam33
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement

Got a small crack in the windshield driving yesterday. I called and set up the earliest appointment I could for repair - this morning. When it happened the damage was abut the size of a nickel, so repair should be easy and likely wouldn't be noticeable. But overnight the damage spread across half the windshield. Now I have to have it replaced.

I have an appointment for Safelite on Thursday to come and replace. Anyone have experience with windshield replacement? I'm going to observe the whole process, but I'm not sure I'll be able to recognize a quality job. Oh..and I'm getting OEM glass.

Haven't even had the car two months....
Old 08-31-13, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Make sure its LEXUS BRANDED OEM GLASS, not "oem manufacturer" glass...
Old 08-31-13, 04:17 PM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't go to safelight. Terrible they screwed up my auto wiper on my ES. Never again. My windshield fogs. Stay away!
Old 08-31-13, 05:15 PM
mshmsh
Driver

after you install your new windshield I recommend you put this on it to protect it from anything

http://www.lamin-x.com/Glass-Protection-Film-s/1213.htm

I have it installed on my car and already see scratches on the film, imagine those on the glass!
Old 08-31-13, 05:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Interesting...any foggyness to the windshield with that installed? What did it cost?
Old 08-31-13, 06:32 PM
jam33
Driver School Candidate

My local safelite location comes recommended, but of course it comes down to the installer's experience and ability. I like their convenience plus I'm fairly certain my insurance company will come down on them if the install isn't right.

They tell me it will be Lexus labeled glass. I'm going to check that before anything starts.
Old 09-01-13, 05:39 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Better check the reviews on Safelite before you use them. They did $800 damage to my 2008 Lexus LS430 when replacing my windshield, then denied they had done it. Had to initiate a lawsuit before they admitted blame. During installation they dripped some kind of sealant/epoxy on the wood on my dash. That piece of wood cost $800 from Lexus. Then they cut up the framing where the window was mounted with their knives during the installation. I wouldn't use Safelite to replace the glass in my son's Kiddycar. Find out who your Lexus dealer recommends and use them. Best of luck with whoever you choose.
Old 09-01-13, 05:47 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't let Safelite clean my windshield,let alone replace it.
I've heard their Chinese glass of course passes requirements but is still cheap crap.
If you're going aftermarket glass,go PGW or Pilkington glass..
Old 09-01-13, 06:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would also never use Safelite. Too many bad stories,many too many other options.

I had the windshield replaced on my 2010 ES at the dealer and was very impressed with the service, and insurance paid for it. They have a mobile glass tech, but they take responsibility for the work.
Old 09-01-13, 07:08 PM
GM11
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jam33
. Anyone have experience with windshield replacement? I'm going to observe the whole process, but I'm not sure I'll be able to recognize a quality job. Oh..and I'm getting OEM glass.

Haven't even had the car two months....
I replaced mine a couple of months back, here's the thread. It's a bit of a wait for the Lexus branded glass depending on where you are.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...indshield.html
Old 09-01-13, 07:23 PM
CtSFox
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also would never use Safelite again. Certainlly, it was convenient They came to my office, replaced the glass right in the parking lot. However, the shoddy job caused a leak which was discovered only after it caused sheetmetal to rust and paint to bubble.
Old 09-02-13, 12:50 AM
mshmsh
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Interesting...any foggyness to the windshield with that installed? What did it cost?
fogginess comes when you first install it for the first week like window tint.
it cost me a lot! but i didn't know it offered online on the website i mentioned.
best investment i have ever done!
Old 09-02-13, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Would you mind sharing what it cost? Even over PM? We all kind of know what clear bras cost but I've never actually talked to someone who has had this done...
Old 09-02-13, 04:41 PM
mshmsh
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Would you mind sharing what it cost? Even over PM? We all kind of know what clear bras cost but I've never actually talked to someone who has had this done...
No problem! I'll break it down for everyone

I did install the ClearPlex windshield protection at http://www.protectivefilmsolutions.com
in Arizona and they have a branch in LA. it costs me $400 and that is after negotiation
then they added a headlights protection film for both headlights and a rear bumper applique for $70 extra! so I got out $470 even. including tax! the Rear Bumper Applique was actually better than the OEM one from Lexus because it was custom cut so you won't notice the edges. I would like to share pix to all of you but Im currently 12,300 miles away from my car

Clear bra with mirrors and door edges protection and window tint I got for free with the deal from the dealer when I purchased the car
Old 09-02-13, 04:47 PM
jam33
Driver School Candidate

Based on the advice here, I cancelled with Safelite. I'm calling my dealer tomorrow or going with a promising lead with an independent shop. I know it's perfectly safe to drive, but I hate driving my new car with half the windshield cracked. I'm anxious to fix it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement