GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Love my GS350 F-sport but getting pulled towards 14' Audi A7 with TDI engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-13, 09:52 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Love my GS350 F-sport but getting pulled towards 14' Audi A7 with TDI engine

My Gs350 F-sport has been one of the best midsize sports sedan I have owned. It is the best balance of luxury, sport, and comfort. I have had no major issues so far and really enjoy the handling, ride, and features. I am not impressed with the MPG and that is understandable for a sports sedan. I was looking at the A7 TDI with the 3.0 diesel and 420 lbs of torque, 240 hp, and 24/38 mph city/highway. Now thats impressive. I love the look of the A7 too. I have not driven it yet in fear that I will like it better then my amazing GS350 F-sport.

Please talk me out of this Audi A7. Why would you not consider it even with the torquey TDI engine.
Old 08-29-13, 10:31 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rexus300
My Gs350 F-sport has been one of the best midsize sports sedan I have owned. It is the best balance of luxury, sport, and comfort. I have had no major issues so far and really enjoy the handling, ride, and features. I am not impressed with the MPG and that is understandable for a sports sedan. I was looking at the A7 TDI with the 3.0 diesel and 420 lbs of torque, 240 hp, and 24/38 mph city/highway. Now thats impressive. I love the look of the A7 too. I have not driven it yet in fear that I will like it better then my amazing GS350 F-sport.

Please talk me out of this Audi A7. Why would you not consider it even with the torquey TDI engine.
Is reliability important to you?

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a7/2013/reliability.html
Old 08-29-13, 11:46 PM
thISguy350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn that is super sketchy
Old 08-30-13, 03:16 AM
Trek
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Sounds kind of fickle.
Old 08-30-13, 04:27 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that same car but different engine, gasoline. I ended up going through Lemon Law with them because of the fuel system design and propensity for the car to not show accurate levels of gas because the all wheel drive saddlebags the gas tank and variations in the fuel tank can cause poor fuel readings. Also had several mechanical issues. Great looking car. But you could potentially be setting yourself up for a lot of dealer visits and regret. That car is why I now have my GS F Sport with rear steer. Infinitely more fun to drive. Hope that helps.
Old 08-30-13, 04:58 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You will lose more than you gain.
You will be just another Audi owner.
Just walk out outside, then walk around your F-Sport.. walk away a 100 feet, then look at it again.. Do you want to give that up?
Old 08-30-13, 05:48 AM
flippd
Driver

Objectively, A7 looks better. But if you're only switching because of fuel economy, you're not really saving money - just use whatever $$$ you would've used on going to the A7 and use it on gas - you'll have thousands more left-over too
Old 08-30-13, 06:17 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

"DON'T DO IT REX"... IMO you will regret it. I'm just sayin.
Old 08-30-13, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I too heavily considered the A6 and A7 before I got my GS. While I really liked the A6 and how it drove, the only thing I ultimately liked about the A7 was the styling, which is beautiful I agree. Something about how it rode, jittery and hard, without the refinement of the A6 or GS. I was VERY disappointed in the A7. Interior wise neither car is as nice as the GS.

If the lease had been better I probably would have an A6. But I wouldn't have gotten an A7 after driving it, if that helps you at all. If the only reason for making this change is fuel economy its absolutely not worth it, you'll get killed on the GS, and the A7 is a more expensive car to boot. Any fuel savings will be erased and then some.
Old 08-30-13, 07:52 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Talking

All of you guys hit the right note with me. Nice to see you again sydtoosic!! You have been missed here.
I agree with you SW13GS about the jittery ride of the A7.
Flipped- I will be paying more for the car and in return I will save on the fuel but it evens out. Thus the GS is a better car.
Barrett77- I had a horrendous experience with my 2011 BMW 5 series with vibration problems which could not be resolved so I had to sell off this car after 1 year. I do not want to deal with the service department every few weeks.

So, overally I am very very happy with my GS. It looks amazing and I have done such a good job in taking care of it. I even got an oil change for $6 dollars with a coupon at my Lexus dealer! They even measured my brakes and found that I have 10 mm left which is amazing at 20k miles. They did a free alignment for me too. I love this brand and I love my car. Thanks again everyone. The Audi can go mess with someone else.
Old 08-30-13, 08:06 AM
Rbradleysd
Driver School Candidate

I would take a LONG drive in the A7. If I recall it shares it seats with the A6 which have been the source of lots of complaints. One of my good friends purchased a 2013 A6 and had to trade it in 6 weeks later because of the tremendous back pain she experienced due to the seats
Old 08-30-13, 08:07 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome back! .. though you didn't really leave!
Old 08-30-13, 08:10 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had an A7 with the exact engine as a loaner when my S5 went in the shop!! Diesel is really common here in the UK and it was an S line model.

Firstly, the interior is top quality (I personally think the GS interior is nicer though, prefer the details of the Lexus like the soft closing windows and the way everything works seamlessly). Anyways the loaner was a fully loaded model and was only about 2 months old with 5k miles on it. The MMI worked fine, however, i noticed at night that a few LED bulbs werent working. Fine, got that fixed. Came home with the loaner again, rear light bulb was blown out. Fine, went straight back and got that fixed. After that, it was fine for a few days but gremlins got into the MMI. I thought, whatever, only a day left till my S5 is back so left it because i couldnt be bothered.

The moral of the story - buy it if you really dont care if things go wrong.

I think the A7 is an awesome car, but i would take the GS over it especially because the A7 is going to be more expensive as well as slightly "boring"
Old 08-30-13, 10:15 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

If you revisit the reasons you got the GS, I'm sure you won't get the A7. Why not keeping the GS for daily drive and get A7 for other times? You can afford that, right?
Old 08-30-13, 11:06 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bnlexus
If you revisit the reasons you got the GS, I'm sure you won't get the A7. Why not keeping the GS for daily drive and get A7 for other times? You can afford that, right?
Thats what I am thinking of. A7 to be used rarely on the weekends and the GS to be my daily driver.... But if only if the world is more easier than that. We will see. I will decide next year. For now I will keep my Gs for long as I can. It makes me smile everytime I get inside it.

Quick Reply: Love my GS350 F-sport but getting pulled towards 14' Audi A7 with TDI engine