GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Siri Eyes-Free

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 09:28 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Siri Eyes-Free

I received an email from Lexus today and was advertising the Siri Eyes-free tech. Since the hardware on the ES, GS, LS, and RX are unchanged going into '14, I'm dumbfounded as to why this feature cannot be updated on the cars.

I called Lexus and was given the generic answer that the hardware has changed from the '13 to '14 models. I asked in what way, to which I was told the operating system is different and they use a different version of software for the bluetooth functionality. When pressed that these were software changes and not hardware, he buckled. So it seems like a choice not to offer the upgrade rather than simply offer it as an option or an upgrade.

Regardless, the tech I was transferred to was vague and full of excuses and quick to blame other companies. Saying things like Apple won't let them, etc. Yet here we have Siri now. My point with them was I can upgrade a $300 phone, a tablet, a $3000 computer, yet I cannot upgrade a computer system in a $60k vehicle? Even if a service like a nav update is offered to let customer pay to upgrade eligible hardware, wouldn't this be smarter for profits and/or customer satisfaction?

Perhaps anyone else on the forums has had better success in this topic or a point of contact to more effectively voice this to Lexus.
Old 08-27-13, 09:35 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Apple has an iron fist lock down on their product. With as much revenue and litigation happy as Apple is, I can see why Lexus is not updating current model GSs. Just look at how Apple is trying to sue Samsung out of business. I refuse to use Apple products for so many reasons.
Old 08-27-13, 09:44 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I can't say Apple is great. My iphone 5 battery sucks so bad it's not even fun. I can't stand going into the idiot bar for anything now days, and they have so much money they use it to throw corporate sized tempertantrums whenever it suits. Samsung did kind of copy some things, but I am going to be buying my first Android phone once the HTC One Max comes out on Verizon or the LG G2 is available and also get the iPhone 5S and try them both out over the next year to see which way I want to progress.

But if Lexus has the rights to do Siri now, why couldn't they say to Apple, we will charge $50 for each upgrade we do and give you a share of the profit minus employee labor costs. I think it would be a win for everyone involved. But Apple does make some incredibly stupid decisions, no question. However, Microsoft isn't any better
Old 08-27-13, 09:50 AM
praetor
Racer

Yeah it's a clusterfock all around but Apple is known for their iron clad licensing. Anyhow, I hope people who want it can get it.
Old 08-27-13, 09:51 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only have issues with these car mfg's appeasing Apple yet no love for other OS's.
Old 08-27-13, 09:56 AM
praetor
Racer

Yes, I'd love to see more support for Android devices which have a huge market share.
Old 08-27-13, 10:10 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Yes, I'd love to see more support for Android devices which have a huge market share.
I see these things that Lexus is doing with the SIRI thing as a ploy to create more Apple revenue. Yep, why not support both large OS's?
Old 08-27-13, 10:48 AM
praetor
Racer

Probably due to Apple's dominance with older users. Lexus is an older person's car, mostly due to price. So I can see why they would choose Apple over Android. That's my theory anyway.
Old 08-27-13, 12:21 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Historically yes, but Lexus is now trying to appeal to a younger crowd with the F line. The new IS is also another strong point there. But the IS buyers got screwed royally with no Siri support.

Companies don't always make smart moves.

I think the problem with android for so long was how fragmented it was and how updates are still disseminated. But with Google Play versions and vanilla android and faster updates I think is the fast tracking of android OS.

There are bigger problems I could have thankfully with my cars. But it would be nice to see a business model change.
Old 08-27-13, 12:34 PM
mcolommena
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The main reason for this is that iOS is controlled by one manufacturer and that ensures stability in compatibility. Android has many manufacturer and user specific roms which will cause a nightmare to support. That the only thing that comes to mind as to why one over the other.
Old 08-27-13, 12:36 PM
praetor
Racer

I don't know if the F line is doing much for younger buyers. For one thing, the F lines costs more. It's hard enough for a younger buyer to afford a $50K car. You want to add another $8K in options? Price will always be the show stopper for younger buyers. Most people I know under 30, can't quite afford a $60K GS350 just yet. The ones that can are rare.
Old 08-27-13, 12:41 PM
praetor
Racer

Originally Posted by mcolommena
The main reason for this is that iOS is controlled by one manufacturer and that ensures stability in compatibility. Android has many manufacturer and user specific roms which will cause a nightmare to support. That the only thing that comes to mind as to why one over the other.
That is very true. But that's why there are protocols in place to keep devices playing well together. For example, blue tooth is blue tooth. It's a standard that works pretty much across the board. MP3 is MP3. Doesn't matter what device you have, it will play MP3s. The problem arises when people want to deviate from protocol.
Old 08-27-13, 01:01 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

This is why options like Google Play editions are springing up. The Snapdragon processors are pretty straight forward. So with the hardware engine being the same, the only true variables on Vanilla android are screen res, battery, and overall design. The carrier software and manufacturer add ons are all lost on this version. But the benefit is a snappier OS and generally where many would likely choose to see Android go with customizations being offered as downloads at the customers discretion.

The F Sport line isn't meant for everyone. It is meant for those with a higher earning power and a younger age. Lesser priced options would be your Toyotas and such. This is still a premium brand and while the focus may be to make it more achievable to own, the price for admission remains high for a reason as it wouldn't be a luxury brand any longer.
Old 08-27-13, 01:08 PM
praetor
Racer

I agree 100%. Price will always be the # 1i obstacle with younger buyers. The number 2 obstacle is the prestige that comes with the Germans. People still ooh and aah over them. Lexus is just a fancy Toyota in the eyes of many still. Obviously we disagree and that's why we're here. LOL
Old 08-27-13, 01:24 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I used to buy German. First two were some of the best cars. Second pair I filed lemon law on one and got the manufacturer to buy me out of the remainder of the lease because I was so pissed about the situation and their lying to my family about matters.

I went looking at a MB next and even ordered a car with a 3k deposit on it. Dealer said the ordered it. 2 months later I ask about my order, they want another 3k and never had ordered the car. Thus ending my interest in German and stumbled across the F Sport RX 350 - GS 350.

I like surprises and there is always something better to be had with companies that have something to prove. Apple was this way when Steve returned to the company. Then the focus of creating great products fell to corporate avarice. Apple still makes great product, but reliability and quality control has slipped a bit. Plus their arrogance to never acknowledge fault. iPhone 4 antenna and you're holding it wrong, lol.

But I enjoy the levelheadedness of others on here without it being a bunch kids showing off stereo mods and the like.

Quick Reply: Siri Eyes-Free