GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How's your paint doing??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 02:03 PM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How's your paint doing??

I've had this car for a few months and this new paint is super hard to maintain. I have the black color gs-f and already seen fine scratches from me washing it even though I've bought All the microfiber stuff. I find that this black is super super sensitive. Hard water spots are very easy to show and stay permanent if I dont take my time to remove them carefully. If I press too hard on the cloth, it will create fine scratches. The other day, I realized I was fine scratching it while I was using the Cali dust remover. I've already had a few bird dropping stains that etched itself onto the clear coat.
I've had other black cars before but didnt realize this new paint system is so sensitive..
Old 08-04-13, 02:09 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a black gs f sport as well, it gets scratched just by looking at it.

best advice i can give you is realize the paint will get swirled, scratched, and all sorts of other random things (raccoon walked all over my car 3 daysafter a professional polish and wax, left scratches all over), so just enjoy the car and don't be too sensitive over the paint because it will literally drive you crazy, like it did to me.

i still keep the car clean, have it washed regularly, but gave up on trying to keep the paint perfect.
Old 08-04-13, 02:45 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

It's a black car, doesn't matter what car it is, unless you have a mercedes with a ceramic clearcoat.
Old 08-04-13, 03:09 PM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

Yea, that's how I feel now. But u know, this is the kind of feeling I get whenever I get something new, but after awhile it will fade. So jus seeing if there are any perfectionist out there that gives the paint some sorta special treatment... I know when the time comes I will give it a good buff
Old 08-04-13, 03:28 PM
RobertE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other option is to get all the swirls and scratches out and clear bra the car completely, expensive but that's the remedy for being a perfectionist. Or do like I did, I always get black cars but this time I said enough is enough and I got Liquid Platinum instead. But being the **** perfectionist that I am, I still got the complete front end, complete hood and front quarters, mirrors, trunk, rockers and rear quarters done in a clear bra. Yeah I know, but I've got a friend who does it for a living so it was real cheap.
Old 08-04-13, 03:30 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

I am a painter, I do alot of bumpers. Even a day after wiping brand new buffed paint, there are still swirls. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Old 08-04-13, 03:45 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Obsidian is definitely the softest paint ive ever had (2nd gen RX was obsidian).

The starfire pearl seems to be quite tough for a lexus paint. 12k miles on it now and barely any swirls and yes, ive checked under very very bright lighting.

Basic idea would be to wash your car yourself, 2 bucket method, a lambswool mitt, microfibre drying towel with no stitching on the edges. A good polish will also do wonders
Old 08-04-13, 03:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
i have a black gs f sport as well, it gets scratched just by looking at it.

best advice i can give you is realize the paint will get swirled, scratched, and all sorts of other random things (raccoon walked all over my car 3 daysafter a professional polish and wax, left scratches all over), so just enjoy the car and don't be too sensitive over the paint because it will literally drive you crazy, like it did to me.

i still keep the car clean, have it washed regularly, but gave up on trying to keep the paint perfect.
did you find that damn raccoon...
Old 08-04-13, 06:36 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rayaans
Obsidian is definitely the softest paint ive ever had (2nd gen RX was obsidian).

The starfire pearl seems to be quite tough for a lexus paint. 12k miles on it now and barely any swirls and yes, ive checked under very very bright lighting.

Basic idea would be to wash your car yourself, 2 bucket method, a lambswool mitt, microfibre drying towel with no stitching on the edges. A good polish will also do wonders
you seem to be confused, starfire and osidian are just colors protected by the same clearcoat. White will have the same swirls, but just hidden because of the color.
Old 08-05-13, 05:39 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nexson
you seem to be confused, starfire and osidian are just colors protected by the same clearcoat. White will have the same swirls, but just hidden because of the color.
Starfire is definitely harder than obsidian. Obsidian gets scratched even if you rub with your finger. As I mentioned, I work on my car under very very bright lighting. barely any swirls evident.
Old 08-05-13, 08:43 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silguy
I've had this car for a few months and this new paint is super hard to maintain. I have the black color gs-f and already seen fine scratches from me washing it even though I've bought All the microfiber stuff. I find that this black is super super sensitive. Hard water spots are very easy to show and stay permanent if I dont take my time to remove them carefully. If I press too hard on the cloth, it will create fine scratches. The other day, I realized I was fine scratching it while I was using the Cali dust remover. I've already had a few bird dropping stains that etched itself onto the clear coat.
I've had other black cars before but didnt realize this new paint system is so sensitive..
Interesting ... I use a California Duster on my Obsidian and it doesn't scratch my paint. The only swirls on my car are the ones from the original dealer prep.

I always run the duster in the same directions (to minimize visible swirl reflections) so any duster scratches would have been in those direction as well and there aren't any new ones.

However ... my car usually gets washed and touched up with Zaino Z6 once a week so I usually don't have a huge dust build up on it either. When using the duster, are you JUST using the tips of the fibers and NOT plopping the full weight of the duster on the paint?
Old 08-05-13, 09:49 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rayaans
Starfire is definitely harder than obsidian. Obsidian gets scratched even if you rub with your finger. As I mentioned, I work on my car under very very bright lighting. barely any swirls evident.
Oh dear. I can't help this one

It's the same paint!!!the color isn't the part that is getting scratched. It's the top coat which is the clear coat.
Old 08-05-13, 09:52 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Nexson does body work and paint (and damn good at it).. just saying
Old 08-05-13, 12:18 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny

+1. I have OB with 22PLE coating. To people, my car is super glossy and shiny when clean. But they dont see what/how I see (or you see). I've learned that sometimes I need not to be too close to the paint or close one eye so I can still enjoy the glossy shiny paint after detailing the car. I don't regret getting this color though. Nothing beats a clean shiny OB.
Old 08-05-13, 01:25 PM
SoCal350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This whole things bugs me and I don't personally like the answers being given.

Professional painters who use quality products and know what they are doing, should not leave you with a car that has swirls, no matter the color. Fact is, Lexus paint in fairly soft to begin with, to avoid chips etc from the road, so it is more susceptible to hairline scratching from dirty towels or dust getting trapped when being wiped down.

A paint detailer, worth his weight, uses products that do not cover up - they don't use polishes that have fillers in them. Filling scratches with a lower end product will result in that filler being worn down over time and the scratches/swirls just showing up again. Getting rid of swirls is very easy - its in the polish and technique - it just has to be done right the first time, and maintained properly thereafter.

I've had OB and white - equally need proper attention. It is true that you will see more imperfections on black than any other color, so more to you for maintaining properly.

Some tricks:

Don't wash your car on windy or breezy days - dust will just get on the paint and you will rub it into the paint and make scratches. Make sure you don't do it in the sun either, middle of the day, etc. when the water will tend to dry very quickly and potentially spot.

Use lubricating car wash soaps or even the foaming ones. Let the soap do the dirt and lubricating it so it slides off and doesn't work its way into the paint and scratch. Wash the car with specialized materials, some synthetic, some natural, etc. Most microfiber towels you buy at stores are the worst you can possibly get. Get real quality from detail supply stores and companies. Shammies work great too and lift, versus spread...spreading scratches.

Detailers that say you can't do anything about it are worthless and lazy. It takes time and proper materials and training to do it right.

Believe in a perfect paint surface...it is very possible.

Believe in color sanding and buffing - properly. Taking your time and spending your money on the proper products will not only save you time and efforts, but lots of heartache.

Believe in paint sealing, and learn how paint reacts to polishing, etc. Know the science of the paint and the product application. If you go to service companies, versus doing it yourself, don't be cheap. Look at the high end companies and find out what they use and do differently. Learn, learn, learn...and then get the results you want and expect.

I can go on for a long time on this subject...just don't settle for anything less than perfect. That's why you bought the car you did afterall.

Quick Reply: How's your paint doing??