GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bad News for 2013 owners and Lexus Enform Updates

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-13, 11:35 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

every time I use the 4GS navigation, I swear at it after a minute of trying to use it..true story.
Old 08-05-13, 05:14 AM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Someone asked how I obtained information when I started this post. Lexus Technology Department through Customer Service informed me on Saturday, August 3, 2013 when I came home from Lexus of Cherry Hill in NJ that our 4G Navigation cannot be updated to handle the free weather, traffic, sports and stocks updates as a free subscription. Also, I was informed that the new abiltiy to use Siri to respond to text messages and emails done through the Off-Hook switch on our steering wheel by voice command beyond Bluetooth and keep our eyes on the road as Siri reads our texts and emails as well as respond to them would not be possible on the 2013 4G. This is Crazy as our system is only one year old and has firmware and software that could be updated like the 3d maps someone mentioned. I have not given up and my Lexus dealer cannot believe this is happening. Any other advise???
Old 08-05-13, 06:42 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM
Someone asked how I obtained information when I started this post. Lexus Technology Department through Customer Service informed me on Saturday, August 3, 2013 when I came home from Lexus of Cherry Hill in NJ that our 4G Navigation cannot be updated to handle the free weather, traffic, sports and stocks updates as a free subscription. Also, I was informed that the new abiltiy to use Siri to respond to text messages and emails done through the Off-Hook switch on our steering wheel by voice command beyond Bluetooth and keep our eyes on the road as Siri reads our texts and emails as well as respond to them would not be possible on the 2013 4G. This is Crazy as our system is only one year old and has firmware and software that could be updated like the 3d maps someone mentioned. I have not given up and my Lexus dealer cannot believe this is happening. Any other advise???
Yea it blows big time. I have an iPhone so I guess I'm used to drooling over new tech every year while glaring at my already outdated phone.
Old 08-05-13, 07:03 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toyota doesn't seem interested in updating the software of its in-car systems. For all the complaints concerning the MyFord Touch system, Ford will be releasing another software revision and updated navigation maps (for the second time), free of charge for all owners of vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch. Ford has been updating the system since the 2011 model year.

It's a shame that paying nearly $60,000 for a Toyota product gives you inferior software service and support versus a $17,000 Ford Fiesta.
Old 08-05-13, 07:10 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the nature of the world we live in. Technological progress happens all the time, and backwards compatibility is becoming less and less of a consideration from the manufacturers, doesn't matter if it's a car or a gaming console.

As a consumer, part of your "responsibility" (to yourself) is to make the best decision you can at a given time, KNOWING that your purchase will be outdated or superseded, whether it's a week from now or a year from now. You have to be at peace with that.

Does it suck? Sure, but it's reality. I don't really understand the sense of entitlement, I mean that's why I personally don't buy cars in their first model year. Those early adopters are pretty much beta testers...improvement will ALWAYS be made in the subsequent years.
Old 08-05-13, 07:26 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Meh. None of this means anything to me. If I had a choice, I wouldn't even buy the Navigation or Enform. Cool factor but has minimal use for me.
Old 08-05-13, 11:10 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
Meh. None of this means anything to me. If I had a choice, I wouldn't even buy the Navigation or Enform. Cool factor but has minimal use for me.
+1 on this!

In short word: It's suck!
Old 08-05-13, 12:46 PM
LexFather

Another reason to get a GS F
Old 08-05-13, 06:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Doesn't surprise me or upset me.

There will always be another option down the line, you can't expect Lexus to make their upgrades reverse compatible and available to previous model years...nobody else does that.

Could I have waited? Sure...but then I wouldn't have enjoyed my awesome GS for the past 8 months...
Old 08-05-13, 08:36 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the brief description of Siri for the 2014 model:

Mobile Assistant

(1) Apple's Siri Eyes Free Mode can be used with a compatible Apple device connected to the HDD navigation system or Lexus display audio system via Bluetooth.

(2) By pressing and holding the off hook switch on the steering wheel, the user can ask Siri questions without taking their eyes off the road. To minimize distraction, the device's screen will not light up. With the Eyes Free feature, users can ask Siri to call contacts, select and play music, hear and compose text messages, use Maps and get directions, read notifications, find calendar information, add reminders, and more.

(3) When the Mobile Assistant function is used to call a contact or listen to music stored on the user's device, the system will automatically transition to the phone call or audio screen.

HINT:

Some Siri features are limited in Eyes Free Mode. If the user attempts to use an unavailable function, Siri will inform the user that the function is not available.

As the matter of fact, it seems not all 2014 is getting this function, looks like at least GX and IS is not getting this.

Last edited by e39ng; 08-05-13 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-05-13, 09:04 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dump enform a install a 3rd party product. That's probably the way I'll go, as I plan to keep the car. For software, I'd rather buy from a company that knows how to make good software.
Old 08-05-13, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by larryinWA
Dump enform a install a 3rd party product.
How do you plan on doing that?
Old 08-06-13, 03:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
+1 on this!

In short word: It's suck!
Yes,the NAV blows but it looks nice.
Old 08-06-13, 04:01 AM
jscgs350
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW13GS
How do you plan on doing that?
I am really hoping Vais (http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php) will be releasing something for our cars soon.

I'd much rather use my smartphone than Enform.
Old 08-06-13, 06:29 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by larryinWA
Dump enform a install a 3rd party product. That's probably the way I'll go, as I plan to keep the car. For software, I'd rather buy from a company that knows how to make good software.
This is what I was thinking as well. I'd be happy if the screen can mirror my Galaxy S4 and I can use the voice search and apps on my Droid phone. That would be ideal for me.

And I wouldn't go as far as saying the Nav and Enform sucks. They work, and works well for me when I use it. I speak and address, search for songs, ...etc and it has always worked for me. I could do without all the confirmations though. I just don't have much use for a dedicated Nav. Enform, I have no use for at all.

Quick Reply: Bad News for 2013 owners and Lexus Enform Updates