GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Owners of the 4GS, how do you like the new mouse.....?

Old 08-09-13, 04:08 AM
LouG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Owners of the 4GS, how do you like the new mouse.....?

Hi everyone.....newbie here.....

I've been contemplating a 2010-2012 LS460, but after driving one last week at the dealer my wife and I sat in the new 4GS. I like to keep my cars for at least 10 years before giving them up, so I'm very particular of the interior aspect of the car - how they operate and how user-friendly they are to the driver - which leads me to this question.

I like the new 4GS, but I'm very curious to learn your thoughts and experiences regarding the Remote Touch Device (or as I said earlier.....the mouse). One of the things I like about the '10-'12 LS is that it's not there. I like the 3GS but from everything I'm reading both on the net and here on the forum tells me that the 4GS is a very different car. Please let me know your thoughts, experiences, learning-curve, etc.

I'm looking at the LS because I'm looking for a decompression vehicle, but I must say the 4GS is gonna get a test drive very soon. What I want is reliability, lots of power, and LOTS of quiet. Oh, and BTW - I'm 41. Maybe a bit young for some for an LS, but man - it sure looks like from the age poll, I may be a bit too old for the GS.....
Old 08-09-13, 04:26 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LouG
Hi everyone.....newbie here.....

I've been contemplating a 2010-2012 LS460, but after driving one last week at the dealer my wife and I sat in the new 4GS. I like to keep my cars for at least 10 years before giving them up, so I'm very particular of the interior aspect of the car - how they operate and how user-friendly they are to the driver - which leads me to this question.

I like the new 4GS, but I'm very curious to learn your thoughts and experiences regarding the Remote Touch Device (or as I said earlier.....the mouse). One of the things I like about the '10-'12 LS is that it's not there. I like the 3GS but from everything I'm reading both on the net and here on the forum tells me that the 4GS is a very different car. Please let me know your thoughts, experiences, learning-curve, etc.

I'm looking at the LS because I'm looking for a decompression vehicle, but I must say the 4GS is gonna get a test drive very soon. What I want is reliability, lots of power, and LOTS of quiet. Oh, and BTW - I'm 41. Maybe a bit young for some for an LS, but man - it sure looks like from the age poll, I may be a bit too old for the GS.....
As for the poll, ignore that. You see more younger because the younger ones use the internet and forums more often than us older folks. IMO, the cost of the 4GS is out of reach far a vast majority of the under 40's. Most of the drivers I see in GS's are my age and older. The F-Sport will draw the younger ones due to the performance enhancements.

I like the mouse now that I have gotten used to it. It takes a bit of time to get used to the sensitivity of it.. which you can change.

Give it a drive.. it's a great car!
Old 08-09-13, 05:36 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

It would be better if they put an "enter" key on the side, where your thumb rests, much like how the RX350 is set up. It gets frustrating trying to move the mouse and then push the mouse down (without moving it) to select what you want.
Old 08-09-13, 05:44 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Remote Touch controller feels cheap. It's very light plastic and there is a lot of slop in the movement. Adjusting the "snap" action to a higher level of "feedback" does not correct the sloppy feeling. It only increases the amount of force required to move from one on-screen button to another. While an on-screen button is selected, there is a lot of extra play in the controller movement.

Additionally, there should be a physical "back" button. Having to move to the corner of the screen to move higher in the menu hierarchy is tedious. I dislike the Remote Touch controller to such a degree that I try to avoid using it while driving.
Old 08-09-13, 06:25 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I like the mouse personally. I mostly use the voice command to dial the phone and for Navi. Everything else, I like use the mouse for and it works fine for me. I'm not too picky when it comes to this stuff though as I barely use it. I'm too busy driving. LOL
Old 08-09-13, 06:49 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LouG (OP) - As you can see, the reactions to remote touch are all over the place and highly dependent on your personal tastes. But I think you might be so impressed with the ride and handling that it won't matter. You will get used to it.

Like you, I'm coming out of a high mileage Camry and about to turn 40. The "how old are you" thread on CL is misleading, because younger folks tend to frequent the forums. I think there are many in our age bracket who can afford this car and need the combination of luxury, tech, sport, and practicality. It's just that fewer of us have time to break away from the wife, kids, and fast track executive careers, so those numbers are skewed.

Personally, I'm waiting to see what changes show up on the '14s, due to be released soon. So I will either go for a smoking deal on a '13 when the dealers are trying to clear them out, or wait for a '14 with upgrades.

Good luck! Go for that test drive! And let us know what you decide.
Old 08-09-13, 07:03 AM
praetor
Racer

I came from a Camry also. I had a 2000 Camry with TRD Supercharger and TRD suspension on it. I miss the old Camry but the ride in the GS F is so nice. I'm not too tied up on features like power trunk, auto folding mirrors or LED headlights.
Old 08-09-13, 07:08 AM
NewSpace
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
I came from a Camry also. I had a 2000 Camry with TRD Supercharger and TRD suspension on it. I miss the old Camry but the ride in the GS F is so nice. I'm not too tied up on features like power trunk, auto folding mirrors or LED headlights.
...8 speed transmission too
Old 08-09-13, 07:23 AM
praetor
Racer

Yeah, the 8 speed doesn't blow my skirt up either. Maybe if the new GS came with 100 extra HP, then we're talking. Cutting a tenth off the 1/4 miler doesn't do much for me.
Old 08-09-13, 08:07 AM
elusive
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It takes some time to get used to it but I think it's great.
Old 08-09-13, 08:26 AM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts

I like the functionality, but it is an eye sore. Every new person that gets in my car ask what the little palm rest is. If the material was leather like the arm rest or more streamlined I would be much happier.
Old 08-09-13, 08:44 AM
LouG
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jsch222
.....if the material was leather like the arm rest or more streamlined I would be much happier.....
I smell another 4GS mod in the future.....
Old 08-09-13, 09:15 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

yeah, hopefully the '14 GS will have more parts available with leather that can be swapped out.
Old 08-09-13, 09:23 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't mind it.
Especially after adjusting the sensitivity.
Old 08-09-13, 10:41 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To OP, there is a sensitivity adjustment that will make the mouse more to your liking.

I have used the MMI on our Audi, Idrive on our BMW, and Command on our Mercedes, and to be honest, the Remote Touch is awesome. Its so easy to dial things faster and select things faster without the restrictions. You can move to different buttons faster. I found it a bit challening in beginning but now its a breeze and I LOVE IT. Its a great system. So I am very happy with it and could not have another car without it. I am in my late-20s so I might not be the perfect representation of the GS F-sport buyers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Owners of the 4GS, how do you like the new mouse.....?