GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

my new GS350 F-SPORT, but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-13, 12:28 AM
HellBlezer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation my new GS350 F-SPORT, but...

hey..

how are you guyz doin?? am very happy to be member of this awesome forum.

i have been on this forum for a while, but only reading the great stuff. and today i have decided to share my experience with my sexy Starfire Pearl with Cabernet interior.

am really enjoying this ride. quality, performance, durability and it meet my expectation from every angle (specially coz i am an ex-bimmer )

and here are some pics

but...

when i received the car, there was squeaking noise when ever i press the breaks. the dealer was more than happy to replace the break pads for free.

the front break pads job was done maybe 4 months ago, and since then, there is a very annoying clinking sound coming from the front left side. i have taken the car many times to the dealer and they have replace many things (shock absorber, stablizerbar, lower control arm) but still the sound exists!!!!

every time i pick up my car, the sound will be very minimal (have to open window to hear it) but gradually the sound will increase until everyone in the car can hear it clearly with the windows closed.

last time i have met their manager and he appointed the most experienced engineer to look after this problem. and after 3 days of inspection, i was told that this sound comes from the break pad!!!
he claimed that all new Lexus models come with new breaking systems, where the pads are not fitted in the clipper with a screw, rather it is inserted in the clipper like inserting toasts in the toaster (i hope you guyz are getting my explanation)
so the pads are moving inside the clipper and that is whats causing the clinking sound!!?
and he told me that this sound exists on all 4th generation GS, which i totally didn't agree.
so now i am taking this issue to a different level

all i want to know, is there anyone of you have experienced something similar, please share it with me coz i am going crazy
Old 07-01-13, 07:27 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats on the pick up! Is the sound only evident when turning the wheel or when applying the breaks?
Old 07-01-13, 06:46 PM
MoizV
Rookie

I haven't noticed any sounds coming from my gs-f. I prob have the most miles on mine as well...kinda odd...
Old 07-01-13, 08:58 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats on the purchase
Old 07-01-13, 09:54 PM
Shadow0039
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the issue u described at the front left side and received similar explanation on the "floating" break design, that caused the noise when traveling at low speed over uneven ground .. my dealer was able to detect n fixed it after the sound had gotten louder by tightening the parts .. not sure what they mean though .. no sound now from the front, but i think the noise seem to be developing at the rear left .. will be getting them to check when I send my car in for next servicing.
Old 07-01-13, 09:59 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't looked at the assemblies yet, but my guess is that there are some spring retainers for the pads that can be manipulated to more tightly hold them in the caliper to keep them from chattering.
Old 07-01-13, 10:50 PM
HellBlezer
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by yardie876
Congrats on the pick up! Is the sound only evident when turning the wheel or when applying the breaks?
thanks, the sound is while driving slowly on a slightly uneven road !!

Originally Posted by MoizV
I haven't noticed any sounds coming from my gs-f. I prob have the most miles on mine as well...kinda odd...
that is great, i hope it never gives u any sounds

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Congrats on the purchase
thaaanks...

Originally Posted by Shadow0039
I had the issue u described at the front left side and received similar explanation on the "floating" break design, that caused the noise when traveling at low speed over uneven ground .. my dealer was able to detect n fixed it after the sound had gotten louder by tightening the parts .. not sure what they mean though .. no sound now from the front, but i think the noise seem to be developing at the rear left .. will be getting them to check when I send my car in for next servicing.

thats exactly what is happening to me, but the problem is that last time when they have detected the sound they tighten the parts, and sound goes for a while but it comes back again, and eventually gets louder. i believe there should be a one time fix

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
I haven't looked at the assemblies yet, but my guess is that there are some spring retainers for the pads that can be manipulated to more tightly hold them in the caliper to keep them from chattering.
i hope there will be a permanent fix, cause i seriously cant stand sounds in any car
Old 07-02-13, 12:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

It'll probably be a TSB if it's not already but LS, ES, GS all 2013 are having similar issues. My Service Manager is alerting his techs