GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Front 'L' emblem

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 04:33 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Front 'L' emblem

Not a Lexus owner yet FYI- May I ask if anybody knows if the front L emblem is removable? IMHO, it's way too big and should be at least 1/3 LESS the size that it is. Painting it black sort of diminishes the attention its screams for, but it's still too bold, IMHO. About the size of the BMW roundel or MB star would be about right. Maybe just omitting it completely would be the ticket but I don't know if it's molded to the grill or not. Open to ideas. Thanks.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-28-13 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-28-13, 06:28 PM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes it is removable. There are 2 snap style washers that need to be removed and then the emblem will come right off.
Old 06-28-13, 07:51 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allb18c
Yes it is removable. There are 2 snap style washers that need to be removed and then the emblem will come right off.
Wonderful! Thank you so much for that, Allb18c. With that, perhaps someone could come up with a less, shall we say, garish emblem in its place that will be elegant, classy, and yet fit in the sport sector as well. I believe Lexus is deserving of better. IMHO, YMMV, and all that. Thank you again.
Old 06-28-13, 08:20 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

The emblem sits on a molded base built into the mesh as far as I know.
Old 06-28-13, 09:03 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yardie876
The emblem sits on a molded base built into the mesh as far as I know.
Thanks. Yes, it appears that the Logo is on a molded riser of sorts as you describe, and probably attached as our other forum member has said.. If I recall, I saw a thread somewhere here about somebody who had the grille off, and it had no badge on it if I'm not mistaken.

Some sort of size reduction in the 25-33% range would, IMHO, be perfect. I'm not sure about no badge at all, but I'm sure I'd try that as well.. thanks again.
Old 06-28-13, 09:41 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Thanks. Yes, it appears that the Logo is on a molded riser of sorts as you describe, and probably attached as our other forum member has said.. If I recall, I saw a thread somewhere here about somebody who had the grille off, and it had no badge on it if I'm not mistaken.

Some sort of size reduction in the 25-33% range would, IMHO, be perfect. I'm not sure about no badge at all, but I'm sure I'd try that as well.. thanks again.
While I am fine with the size as is, I can definitely see where you are coming from. The size could potentially be due to the fact that on GS models optioned with laser cruise control, the radar is hidden within the emblem and if it needed to be that size to accommodate the radar, it would make sense to make the emblem uniform across the board.
Old 06-28-13, 11:53 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yardie876
While I am fine with the size as is, I can definitely see where you are coming from. The size could potentially be due to the fact that on GS models optioned with laser cruise control, the radar is hidden within the emblem and if it needed to be that size to accommodate the radar, it would make sense to make the emblem uniform across the board.
Ah! That stands to reason I suppose, instead of hiding it another way (which could be done). You know, there is a late 90's Lexus, a GS, I think, where we are staying- very clean and looks like a one-owner type of car. The Lexus emblem is on the hood, and very tastefully done, if not unexciting... just the chrome oval encasing the "L"...
Old 06-29-13, 05:13 PM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a Lexus owner yet FYI- May I ask if anybody knows if the front L emblem is removable? IMHO, it's way too big and should be at least 1/3 LESS the size that it is. Painting it black sort of diminishes the attention its screams for, but it's still too bold, IMHO. About the size of the BMW roundel or MB star would be about right. Maybe just omitting it completely would be the ticket but I don't know if it's molded to the grill or not. Open to ideas. Thanks.
I replaced mine and changed it out...it is simple as there are screws and a washer holding it on. check out the pictures of what I did here (got to page 3):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...my-fsport.html

I blacked mine out and get rid of the bulk...(just something you can do an you don't have to paint it like I did...
Old 06-29-13, 11:19 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Mikec78 thank you for that. Very nice work you have done. Prices seem reasonable for the little cosmetic upgrades. Nice job and great idea. And yes, as you inferred with your thread, if the job is worth doing it's worth doing right the first time. Looks OEM. Me like.

The more I see Nebula Grey, the more it is pulling me in... lol I sat in a Nebula Grey LS460 F-Sport at a car show about 6 mos ago and was really wanting to see it in the sun vs. inside. Looks beautiful. Thanks again for the tips! One thing if I may- tell me about your JDM Fog Lights upgrade. Thx.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-30-13 at 12:46 AM.
Old 06-30-13, 11:01 AM
mikec78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikec78 thank you for that. Very nice work you have done. Prices seem reasonable for the little cosmetic upgrades. Nice job and great idea. And yes, as you inferred with your thread, if the job is worth doing it's worth doing right the first time. Looks OEM. Me like.

The more I see Nebula Grey, the more it is pulling me in... lol I sat in a Nebula Grey LS460 F-Sport at a car show about 6 mos ago and was really wanting to see it in the sun vs. inside. Looks beautiful. Thanks again for the tips! One thing if I may- tell me about your JDM Fog Lights upgrade. Thx.
The JDM Fog lights are awesome! What do you want to know about them?
Here is the youtube clip that JoeZ put together after we installed them on my GS350 (with the help of Tommy) - hopefully this will answer your questions:

I went with yellow to be different and to match the turn signals. If you live in SoCal go hit up Tommy at Music Box...

Here's his address/number:
948 Durfee Ave
South El Monte, CA
(626)823-2853

He is a great guy!!! He did my calipers and will soon do my springs and exhaust once JoeZ (another awesome guy!) releases the exhaust system.
Old 06-30-13, 12:45 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikec78

The JDM Fog lights are awesome! What do you want to know about them?
Here is the youtube clip that JoeZ put together after we installed them on my GS350 (with the help of Tommy) - hopefully this will answer your questions:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3gXG1M3xlA

I went with yellow to be different and to match the turn signals. If you live in SoCal go hit up Tommy at Music Box...

Here's his address/number:
948 Durfee Ave
South El Monte, CA
(626)823-2853

He is a great guy!!! He did my calipers and will soon do my springs and exhaust once JoeZ (another awesome guy!) releases the exhaust system.
Looks great! I can't wait to order mine (hopefully through this potential group buy) and get them in. I'm patiently waiting for the exhaust too! So it looks like the fogs are independent of the headlights. So if you were to leave the fogs in the on position and start the engine the would come on and stay on right?
Old 06-30-13, 06:36 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Mikec78- thanks for the info. I'm in the Bay Area. Thanks.
I'm toying with the idea of removing the 4-th gen badge off the grille completely, and going with the smaller, and earlier ES 300 style "L-hoop" badge on the hood they had during that series. It's not like there isn't any room on the hood front. Very clean, simple and elegant.
Old 06-30-13, 08:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Mikec78- thanks for the info. I'm in the Bay Area. Thanks.
I'm toying with the idea of removing the 4-th gen badge off the grille completely, and going with the smaller, and earlier ES 300 style "L-hoop" badge on the hood they had during that series. It's not like there isn't any room on the hood front. Very clean, simple and elegant.
IMHO thats going to look out of place and odd. If you replace the grille with something that has no emblem, I think you are better off going sans emblem entirely. If you stick an emblem where its not meant to be its going to look strange.

I think you'll get used to the emblem. Manufacturers are going to bigger and bigger emblems as grills get larger, and really Lexus' is pretty small by comparison. It fits in with the overall styling theme, when you start trying to mix old with new, the whole thing just looks wrong.
Old 06-30-13, 09:20 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
IMHO thats going to look out of place and odd. If you replace the grille with something that has no emblem, I think you are better off going sans emblem entirely. If you stick an emblem where its not meant to be its going to look strange.

I think you'll get used to the emblem. Manufacturers are going to bigger and bigger emblems as grills get larger, and really Lexus' is pretty small by comparison...
Ya mean like the big, garish gold bowtie on the new Chevrolets?? lolol oy-vey. lololol That thing is absolutely hideous.

I'd try the older ES badge on the hood just for grins- the older GS 300 I saw today doesn't have any kind of "nook" or recessed or raised area where the badge is. And if it looks ugly, or out of place on the 2014 GS I can remove it with some dental floss and throw it out! Pretty inexpensive experiment. hehehe

Maybe I'd get used to the OEM emblem & placement. Maybe. But I wouldn't see it from the driver's seat...wait there's that big L on the airbag cover...lol...

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-30-13 at 11:57 PM.
Old 06-30-13, 09:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

You see it everywhere, the larger badges. Look at Infiniti, Mercedes, etc.

If you saw a Lexus with a badge on the hood it was an ES. The only Lexus that ever had a badge on the hood was the ES, and that moved to the grille in 2007. Bear in mind that emblem has pins, so you qould have to cut them off the back of the emblem before you could adhere it to the hood, then you still would have to figure out something to do with the big emblemless oval in the grill.

The hood on the GS is pretty curved in that area also, I don't know if an emblem would even fit the shape of the hood there. IMHO its going to look like when people stick emblems on Civics and things like that don't belong...terrible shame to do to a beautiful car like the GS. If you don't like the emblem, go the quality route and do an aftermarket grill that deletes it entirely.

Quick Reply: Front 'L' emblem