Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 06:00 PM
nickhaaa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECL
From the GS350 owners manual:

156 4-1. Before driving ■ Breaking in your new Lexus
To extend the life of the vehicle, observing the following precautions is recommended:
● For the first 186 miles (300 km): Avoid sudden stops.
● For the first 621 miles (1000 km):
• Do not drive at extremely high speeds.
• Avoid sudden acceleration.
• Do not drive continuously in low gears.
• Do not drive at an constant speed for extended periods
Lol I broke all four of the last list.
Old 06-24-13, 08:10 PM
hopVIP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's good that Lexus provides these stipulations. Most manufacturers don't tell you anything. It seems like they do have there own "break in period" from the manufacturers plant and these simple guidelines are all a new vehicle may require. Another reason I love Lexus!
Old 06-30-13, 02:54 PM
SoCal350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drive it the way you drive normally...from day 1

After 30 years of buying almost exclusively new cars, I have ALWAYS driven the car the way "I" would drive it normally. If it breaks...it wasn't meant to stay together.

With that said...I beat the hell out my cars and drive them the way they were designed to...with lots of spirit, and they NEVER break down. If they are going to break, it'll be early in their life, as long as you maintain it accordingly.

Drove it hard and rough...service it more often. Drive it cool and easy, follow the maintenance book.

For me, 10K between oil changes is absurd, mine will be done every 5K, at the longest. I typically follow servicing rules from about 10 years ago. Keeps cars fresher longer, protected more often, and with today's technology, they last forever, even when abused.

I'd rather pay a little more for a few more services and drive it the way I want to...always.
Old 06-30-13, 07:00 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, all the poop out now about new cars "not needing service (oil change) until 10k+ miles" is rubbish. Absolute rubbish. I worked in the Auto industry for many years. Okay, so they use the excuse that today's oils are better formulated than they were 20 years ago... the other side of the coin is that internal tolerances have tightened considerably- (ie needing 5w-40 instead of say, 20w-50) to meet the more stringent EPA standards; and that heat and loads have increased on components AND with DFI engines we have a carbon/sooting issue we didn't before with those because the fuel is no longer washing down the valve stems into the combustion chamber, leading to early carbon build up.

Use top-tier fuels (for their detergent properties), and change your oil AND FILTER like you would 20 years ago. (for me it's every 2000 miles)...for synthetic oil, I MIGHT be inclined to go 5000 but 10k out of the question IMHO. "You don't need it" my eye. I want my engine to last, and last they will, with their oil kept clean and fresh. I can give numerous examples of guys who changed their engine oil regularly having FAR MORE lifespan of the engine than those that changed theirs at 5-7k. Drive it hard, sure. But keep the lifeblood of the machine, clean.

An ounce of prevention = a pound of cure.

Remember, today we have a factor in the auto industry called "engineered obsolescence". Part of that is encouraging less frequent oil changes, IMHO. They want you to buy replacement vehicles (and parts) more frequently, than to drive the bolts off a car for 20-30 years. It's all about $$$.

Last edited by 1BlinkGone; 06-30-13 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-30-13, 07:45 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Yeah, all the poop out now about new cars "not needing service (oil change) until 10k+ miles" is rubbish. Absolute rubbish. I worked in the Auto industry for many years. Okay, so they use the excuse that today's oils are better formulated than they were 20 years ago... the other side of the coin is that internal tolerances have tightened considerably- (ie needing 5w-40 instead of say, 20w-50) to meet the more stringent EPA standards; and that heat and loads have increased on components AND with DFI engines we have a carbon/sooting issue we didn't before with those because the fuel is no longer washing down the valve stems into the combustion chamber, leading to early carbon build up.

Use top-tier fuels (for their detergent properties), and change your oil AND FILTER like you would 20 years ago. (for me it's every 2000 miles)...for synthetic oil, I MIGHT be inclined to go 5000 but 10k out of the question IMHO. "You don't need it" my eye. I want my engine to last, and last they will, with their oil kept clean and fresh. I can give numerous examples of guys who changed their engine oil regularly having FAR MORE lifespan of the engine than those that changed theirs at 5-7k. Drive it hard, sure. But keep the lifeblood of the machine, clean.

An ounce of prevention = a pound of cure.

Remember, today we have a factor in the auto industry called "engineered obsolescence". Part of that is encouraging less frequent oil changes, IMHO. They want you to buy replacement vehicles (and parts) more frequently, than to drive the bolts off a car for 20-30 years. It's all about $$$.

I use to change my oil every 1500 miles on my High performance cars (Supercharged & Modified) - I agree with most of what you said. But since owning a Lexus for 15 years -- I double up on my maintenance and my cars are good as new. For my 2Gen GS400 - normal interval is 5K on regular oil, so I do 5K on synthetic and nothing more. I have a second GS (GS430) which is my highway cruiser and i run synthetic and let my interval go up to 6500 when Lexus says you can go 7500 for Highway miles. I did a BLACKSTONE OIL Analysis on my last two oil changes and at 6500 miles i still had at-least 40% oil life left according to the Oil analysis report. I for one agree with you in theory but a Lab report on my Oil is more scientific approach than old fashion belief of "Ultra Maintenance" -- 20 years ago, I would definitely be on he same page as you but I believe Lexus Engines are far more superior than other Makes and with that the Oil Analysis does prove Lexus engines can go further in maintenance interval than most other cars. How far is up to you. I still would play it safe and never do more than 7K highway or 5K Mixed on synthetic even though they say you can go 10K.
Old 06-30-13, 09:12 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

1QWKGS4- It's really whatever you're comfortable with. I'm very familiar with the Blackstone Oil Tests and used them when monitoring a fleet. Having said that, I still believe and have witnessed more frequent change intervals help overall engine life in so many ways- bearings, seals, etc. I've seen far too many engines last WAY beyond what is considered normal, using more frequent oil changes. For example, the corporate users who would ask for 2000k oil changes in their corporate rides were the ones whose vehicles we'd keep the longest, because they just plain were in much better running condition, less leaks, problems, wear, etc. YMMV.

In my personal cars I've had both turbo and supercharged as well as NA engines. I have no doubt that the Lexus power train is a good one- superior as to what remains to be seen (and I'm sure there would be many arguing otherwise), but let's be honest, it's still a TOYOTA product- Neither good nor bad, just fact. Toyota by and large has a good history.

Really, whatever you're comfortable with. Me, I'll still change oil at 2k... 5k for synthetic is good. Oil is much, much cheaper than an engine.
Old 06-30-13, 09:39 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always based my oil changes on UOA results as well. I ran a UOA on every oil change on my Infiniti and the oil still looked good between 8k - 9k intervals when I changed it regardless.

I never trusted anyone to do the oil changes so I always did it myself. It was a PITA, which is why I watched the oil religiously.

The oil was mobile 1 with either a M1 or Royal Purple filter in a twin turbo engine.
Old 04-16-14, 10:42 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QWKGS4
I use to change my oil every 1500 miles on my High performance cars (Supercharged & Modified) - I agree with most of what you said. But since owning a Lexus for 15 years -- I double up on my maintenance and my cars are good as new. For my 2Gen GS400 - normal interval is 5K on regular oil, so I do 5K on synthetic and nothing more. I have a second GS (GS430) which is my highway cruiser and i run synthetic and let my interval go up to 6500 when Lexus says you can go 7500 for Highway miles. I did a BLACKSTONE OIL Analysis on my last two oil changes and at 6500 miles i still had at-least 40% oil life left according to the Oil analysis report. I for one agree with you in theory but a Lab report on my Oil is more scientific approach than old fashion belief of "Ultra Maintenance" -- 20 years ago, I would definitely be on he same page as you but I believe Lexus Engines are far more superior than other Makes and with that the Oil Analysis does prove Lexus engines can go further in maintenance interval than most other cars. How far is up to you. I still would play it safe and never do more than 7K highway or 5K Mixed on synthetic even though they say you can go 10K.
I bought a "new" 2008 Corvette convertible in 2012 it had around 350 miles on it and had been sitting in the dealer showroom for 4 years only taken out for test drives over that 4 year time period (this was in Maui) Factory fill is Mobil 1 synthetic. I was worried about the oil sitting in the Vette for 4 years and at 1000 miles I had a oil change sent a sample to Blackstone and explained the background to them. The sample came back great!! Said I could of driven it with this original oil until manufacture recommended interval. My point when the manufacture states 6 months or 5k miles synthetic oil does not get old in 6 months so if it takes you a year to do 5 k miles no worries.
Old 04-16-14, 11:06 AM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree and have recent proof. A few months back I changed my oil in my GS400, Its been in storage for awhile and I was afraid I might be pushing the limits of my oil. I've only driven her 2875 miles in 4.5 years. I changed the oil and sent the 4.5 year oil to Blackstone for an analysis. Oil is still good according to them. Oil doesn't go bad, its how much you used it. According to the analysis, I still had 35-40% life left in my oil. So, now I'm not afraid to go years if it takes me that long to get to 3K (city) or 5K (hwy). Plus, changing oil to often cost $$ especially if the oil is synthetic. If you drive 5-6K every 6 months then change it accordingly to the service schedule. But if you drive 1000 or 2000 a year (weekend car). You can go longer, much much longer. Saves money, time and effort..
Old 04-16-14, 11:59 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Wow, this has gone from engine breakin thread to an oil change thread lol. Anyways I take it easy on all my cars for 999 miles but once I reach 1000 all hell breaks loose! Give it a good 0-60 and 0-120 mph test. And of course the 50-70mph highway passing test. All done at full throttle. And non of my cars have been broken.