GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2013 GS 350 vs 2014 is 350

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-13, 05:12 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I picked my GS 350 June 1st. I don't notice any excess wind noise at 75-85MPH. Just checked my windows and they do appear to be double pane windows in the front and single pane in the back.
Old 06-18-13, 05:19 PM
praetor
Racer

Front

Back
Old 06-18-13, 05:44 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there is a user that got his windows replaced by double pane and still hears the wind noise.

a lot of the squeaks/rattles/wind noises in these cars are subjective to their owners and the frequencies they are and are not able to hear.

a few of my friends have sat in my car, and have not noticed any of the noises above, but i still continue to hear them here and there.

does that mean my car is tomb quiet? guess depends on who sits in it.
Old 06-18-13, 11:39 PM
Neogenic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by modthispny
there is a user that got his windows replaced by double pane and still hears the wind noise.

a lot of the squeaks/rattles/wind noises in these cars are subjective to their owners and the frequencies they are and are not able to hear.

a few of my friends have sat in my car, and have not noticed any of the noises above, but i still continue to hear them here and there.

does that mean my car is tomb quiet? guess depends on who sits in it.
Exactly! What annoys me is they should have used an audiometer to test these frequencies before they promised class-leading silence. Human range is up to 20k Hz and professional testdrivers usually have damaged that hearing range by far. What I hate most is that they admited this to be an issue but not even a whisper on a solution! Awaiting for testdriving next year modell to see if they implement a solution even if quietly.
Old 06-19-13, 10:34 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I only have my test drives to go by but the GS450h hybrid was significantly quieter than the GS350. Both were F-Sport versions and RWD.
Old 06-19-13, 11:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Neogenic
I would say good for you all of course.

Many others have this issue. But then we could suffer from something else that you dont have; wider range of audible frequencies.

This far I have checked three GSs and all had the same issue,
Many others? I spend several hours a day on this and another Lexus forum and I certainly would not say "many". A few people have reported the issue, not to say it isn't real, but it certainly isn't widespread.

I've had multiple Lexus vehicles and am very accustomed to how a Lexus does and should sound at speed, my GS is no louder than any other Lexus I've owned. I am also very critical of noise in a vehicle. I have no wind noise, no squeaks, no rattles, nearly 10k miles. People describe a dramatic noise that passengers can hear, and noise beginning at 45MPH and I just flat out have nothing like that. I do not have any hearing deficit as you suggested we all must have in another thread.

So no, not every GS has wind noise.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-19-13 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-19-13, 01:55 PM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Many others? I spend several hours a day on this and another Lexus forum and I certainly would not say "many". A few people have reported the issue, not to say it isn't real, but it certainly isn't widespread.

I've had multiple Lexus vehicles and am very accustomed to how a Lexus does and should sound at speed, my GS is no louder than any other Lexus I've owned. I am also very critical of noise in a vehicle. I have no wind noise, no squeaks, no rattles, nearly 10k miles. People describe a dramatic noise that passengers can hear, and noise beginning at 45MPH and I just flat out have nothing like that. I do not have any hearing deficit as you suggested we all must have in another thread.

So no, not every GS has wind noise.
Good for you! And you know this because you dont have hearing aid? Simply I would ask you what sound level your amplifier is on when you are driving at 45mph? (It would be a rough estimate because of music type, weather, rubber and road).

A human ear is normaly capabel of 20-20k Hz. Hearing deficit is usually measured between 20-6k Hz as conversation is inbetween there. Hearing aid is usually perscribed in this range 20-6k Hz. Whisling nois is allways higher frequencies. Loss of higher frequencis is almost epidemic and most people are unaware of it! Its our living style, city noise, headset, and all other crap noise pollution around us. Even momotonous computer fans are hearing damaging.

Its not a challange or a dare. I simply say just because you dont hear, it does not mean it does not exist.
I Do say it must be a hearing deficit because several drivers, " few people" hear it and therefor can describe it exactly as both origin and speed related. :-)
Although I concider the possibility of it being a batch related issue, but even then the odds of it being distrubuted to both continent at the same time is not in your favor!
Old 06-19-13, 02:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Neogenic
Good for you! And you know this because you dont have hearing aid? Simply I would ask you what sound level your amplifier is on when you are driving at 45mph? (It would be a rough estimate because of music type, weather, rubber and road).
I know this because I am the one inhabiting my body, how are you somehow qualified to assess my ability to hear when you have absolutely no idea who I am? I drive quite often with no radio on whatsoever, I do not have any sort of objectionable wind noise at any speeds below 85, and I only say 85 because I have not driven my GS above that speed.

I am not saying you or others do not have wind noise, I am saying I DO NOT, that is not a statement that you or anyone who has not ridden in my car can refute.

Its not a challange or a dare. I simply say just because you dont hear, it does not mean it does not exist.
I can hear JUST FINE and my car has NO NOISE. These are facts. Keep your pointless assertions about me or my car to yourself.
Old 06-19-13, 03:25 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Nuogenic started talking about wind noise, and then personal sensitive hearing frequencies, not quoting anybody.

Steve, that Post 36 of yours was good.
You talked about the car; not about the person who said what.
However, you quoted him - therefore it becomes personal again.

On your Post 36, you should delete the quotation of Nuogenic.
Just leave your clean opinion.

Else he hits back at you at Post 37.
Then you have a slanging match at Post 38.

Please see Clublexus Forum Rules on Personal Attacks:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/faq....rsonal_attacks

Clublexus Forum Rules state: "...the disagreement should be about the topic [4GS wind noise] - not the person posting [Nuogenic]".

Both of you are right.
The 4GS is one of the quietest cruisers on the road.
And yes, maybe Nuogenic has a lemon 4GS, but more probably - he has unusually excellent hearing; maybe he can hear ultrasonic frequencies a bit like a dog???
Old 06-19-13, 03:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this because I am the one inhabiting my body, how are you somehow qualified to assess my ability to hear when you have absolutely no idea who I am? I drive quite often with no radio on whatsoever, I do not have any sort of objectionable wind noise at any speeds below 85, and I only say 85 because I have not driven my GS above that speed.

I am not saying you or others do not have wind noise, I am saying I DO NOT, that is not a statement that you or anyone who has not ridden in my car can refute.

I can hear JUST FINE and my car has NO NOISE. These are facts. Keep your pointless assertions about me or my car to yourself.
I guess me,my wife,my kids who are older,my son in law who is a Lexus guy who has owned a couple of LS460's and now has a '13 LX570,all have some type of hearing impairment because we all don't hear that wind noise in my GS.
Old 06-19-13, 05:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Nuogenic started talking about wind noise, and then personal sensitive hearing frequencies, not quoting anybody.
Uh no...he basically told me that that I had no idea whether or not I had issues with my hearing "How do you know that, because you don't have a hearing aid?". He told me that my car makes a sound and I am just unable to hear it. In another thread (which he linked on here not me) he said, and I quote "I'm convinced anyone who says they don't hear this noise has a hearing deficiency".

That is not talking about the car...that is talking about me. I can hear just fine, and he has no right to tell me I can't.

Leave the moderating to the moderators.

I know how frustrating it is to have a vehicle that has an issue or issues that seem to be impossible to address, but making an statement that anyone who has not experienced your issue has a physical impairment is beyond ludicrous, and is in and of itself an infraction of the CL TOS you posted above. Me making a strong statement as to my ability to hear and as to the fact that my car has no such noise is not a personal attack by any definition. I've made no statements about him...only about myself and my car.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I guess me,my wife,my kids who are older,my son in law who is a Lexus guy who has owned a couple of LS460's and now has a '13 LX570,all have some type of hearing impairment because we all don't hear that wind noise in my GS.
Its an epidemic!

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-19-13 at 05:45 PM.
Old 06-19-13, 06:11 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Uh no...he basically told me that that I had no idea whether or not I had issues with my hearing "How do you know that, because you don't have a hearing aid?". He told me that my car makes a sound and I am just unable to hear it. In another thread (which he linked on here not me) he said, and I quote "I'm convinced anyone who says they don't hear this noise has a hearing deficiency".

That is not talking about the car...that is talking about me. I can hear just fine, and he has no right to tell me I can't.

Leave the moderating to the moderators.

I know how frustrating it is to have a vehicle that has an issue or issues that seem to be impossible to address, but making an statement that anyone who has not experienced your issue has a physical impairment is beyond ludicrous, and is in and of itself an infraction of the CL TOS you posted above. Me making a strong statement as to my ability to hear and as to the fact that my car has no such noise is not a personal attack by any definition. I've made no statements about him...only about myself and my car.

Its an epidemic!
i agree 1000% SW, , sounds as though an uber quiet LS is in order. no squeaks, bells, whistles, wind noise, road noise, ( i hear road noise now, but very little because of the bigger wheels and lower profile tires, with the stock wheels and tires i couldn't hear a damn thing ) i have to turn up the music to get some noise. sounds as though this dude is upset because his car is not as solid as he thought, **** happens... like the t-shirt says. i had 2 GS F Sports, the SP was whisper quiet and the OB was not as quiet (the seatbelt assembly squeaked and had to be replaced) but quiet none the less. implying that everyone who owns a 2013 GS is deaf... is just wrong lol.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 06-19-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 01:12 AM
Neogenic
Driver

I didnt mean any disrespect. I will allways maintain my statement about how you evalute silence in a car. Such statement is allways subjected to hearing abilities. I was talking about the car and I love my GS except for the wind noise of course:-) Enjoy your silence :-)

You quoted me and get a quote back. Read a well pointed post 39!

As I wrote it before, I did order it before I even test drove it. Next project will be the LS or the new RX.
Old 06-20-13, 03:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Petehavey, please eit this thread. Leave the moderating to the moderators.

Pete and Sw13gs, this is at least the third recent conflict. Going to ask you guys to use the ignore list feature to keep this from becoming a more serious problem
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...?do=ignorelist

Everybody else... Recognize that not every car is the same and every owner has different tolerances. What's a problem or you might not be for everyone or anyone else. Lets keep things a little less defensive please.

Lets get back on topic please without the personal comments Thank you
Old 06-20-13, 06:51 AM
praetor
Racer

Lexus doesn't rely on test drivers with hearing damage to evaluate cabin noise in their cars. Every single car company out there uses data modeling and electronics to design a "quiet cabin." What separates the men from the boys though is the quality of material used to dampen road and wind noise. It's not like this technology is a secret.

Quick Reply: 2013 GS 350 vs 2014 is 350