GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Beware of Valero Gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 02:48 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok so another update here. My service advisor called and said when they opened it up they immediately noticed that one of the valve guides was deformed. Which would explain my initial rpm fluttering issue and ultimately the engine light misfire issue. It looks like they are going to be replacing the top right head and are waiting to hear back from lexus on what else they will be replacing.

I asked him what could of caused this, and we kind of came up with that this particular guide made it through quality control and shouldn't have, but its weird cause if it is was bad from the factory than the problem would have came to surface right away, not after 15k miles. Anways it sounds like they are taking care of everything, just thought I would give an update.
Old 06-21-13, 02:49 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

I am in a brand new RX, which is nice (and Im not complaining) but boy do I miss my baby!
Old 06-21-13, 10:40 PM
mshmsh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck man. i have same car as yours even same color. my odo reading is 10,600 now .. if i were you ill ask a lawyer to see if i could get my car replaced with brand new one. im not paying 60k to drive 10k then Lexus decides to replace sensitive components under the hood. just my opinion
Old 06-22-13, 04:37 AM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Give them the time, and if at some point you feel as though you just got a bum motor, request to be let out of this vehicle and put in another. Often times auto companies can swap VIN numbers on a car and you keep the same terms and payments on the new car as long as both vehicles were in the same price bracket. I've had it offered to me before on a lease.
Whoa Nellie I hope they can't legally swap VINs! That would lead to all sorts of issues.
Old 06-22-13, 05:21 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexus300
My fault, I meant that more ethanol leads to less MPG because there is less gasoline. However more ethanol can cause damage to engines if greater than 15%. Our BMW suffered a Hpfp failure from using low-tier gas. So, why is this carbon build up occurring on the OPs car?
Your BMW suffered a HPFP failure because BMW can't seem to manufacture a fuel pump to save their lives. They went through 7 revisions of the N54 fuel pump and got well and sued for the trouble to consumers. They told you it was from low tier gas because it's a convenient way to pin it on the consumer.

http://www.gilardi.com/hpfpsettlement/faq.html

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Whoa Nellie I hope they can't legally swap VINs! That would lead to all sorts of issues.
They'll take the vehicle back in and put you in a new one and swap the VIN on your lease, not the actual car.
Old 06-22-13, 09:17 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeifer3
Legally they can change anything as long as all parties are in agreement
Old 06-24-13, 09:59 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

So, they are officially replacing the short block, because of scoring on cylinder 3, they are also replacing the right side head and all of the guides and valves! When the engine light came on I was just thinking the wifey didn't tighten the gas cap all the way and maybe it was an evap code or something. Needless to say this is the last thing I expected, lol.
Old 06-24-13, 10:28 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

I would not be happy if my relatively new vehicle were to have the majority of its engine replaced.
Old 06-24-13, 10:55 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through something similar to this episode with a GMC Sierra Denali. I would suggest that first of all, you should monitor to make sure they are not trying to install a rebuilt short block. GMC tried to pull that trick on me and I had to go nose to nose and explain that after only 3,000 miles, I expect a new engine and not a rebuild. But secondly, the truck was never the same and I would suggest that you approach Lexus and ask that they just replace the car. If not for mechanical reasons, certainly for psychological reasons i just couldn't get over the feeling that I had been had. Long story but I wound up getting rid of the truck after only 18 months at a huge financial loss. Just my .02. Good luck!

P.S. - I no longer entertain the notion of even looking at GM vehicles.....ever.
Old 06-24-13, 11:09 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Yeah, Im not stoked about it but they are trying to make it right, and I did verify that they are all brand new parts being shipped from the factory. Im definitely going to give them a chance to make it right. If after this, there is an issue of course then I will look into further action. The main guy (who I talked to) high up at Lexus is replacing more things then they technically need to just because he didn't want to take a chance on me having any issues in the future. For instance they are replacing all of the valves guides and springs on that side just in case it was a bad batch. Which technically they would only need to replace cylinder 3's.

So they seem to be pretty responsible at this point. I will keep every one apprised
Old 06-24-13, 01:26 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
I should get her back today, fingers crossed. The good news for me is that I never keep a car longer than two years (I always have these great plans for cars but end up averaging a different car every 18 months) and this is a lease so I am not extremely worried about it.

Originally Posted by djpeakSD
Yeah, Im not stoked about it but they are trying to make it right, and I did verify that they are all brand new parts being shipped from the factory. Im definitely going to give them a chance to make it right. If after this, there is an issue of course then I will look into further action. The main guy (who I talked to) high up at Lexus is replacing more things then they technically need to just because he didn't want to take a chance on me having any issues in the future. For instance they are replacing all of the valves guides and springs on that side just in case it was a bad batch. Which technically they would only need to replace cylinder 3's.

So they seem to be pretty responsible at this point. I will keep every one apprised

Honestly, being that this is a "lease"... You really have nothing to worry about...

That is why our cars come with a great warranty / service..

Glad to hear they are on track resolving the issue.

~ Joe Z
Old 06-24-13, 05:45 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed. It sounds like you're getting top notch service.
Old 06-25-13, 07:24 PM
Siamese
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by homeboyv
Personally I typically stick to Shell or Mobil if a Shell isn't around. Some people feel that the quality of gas is all the same but I beg to differ. IMO you get what you pay for...
Shell advertises that they have 3x the amount of detergent in their gasoline, (At least in Canada).
Old 06-26-13, 08:33 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Shell is a good source. You want to use a "Top Tier" fuel. Believe me, it makes a BIG difference in the new engines, and especially those with DFI. It's all about the proper additives/detergents to keep the carbon build-up minimal. Here is a link that should help inform you and direct you to the right vendors. Believe me, all gasoline is NOT equal.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Old 07-03-13, 03:44 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

Interesting, my brother (who's been a mechanic for about 20 years) suggest not to use Shell but either Chevron or 76.

Originally Posted by 1BlinkGone
Shell is a good source. You want to use a "Top Tier" fuel. Believe me, it makes a BIG difference in the new engines, and especially those with DFI. It's all about the proper additives/detergents to keep the carbon build-up minimal. Here is a link that should help inform you and direct you to the right vendors. Believe me, all gasoline is NOT equal.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Quick Reply: Beware of Valero Gas