GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Tires on GS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-13, 08:13 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Somebody posted this awhile ago. Very informative. Trouble is no real user reviews on a/s 3 as it's so new.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177

Plus, each car is different. TireRack has the DWS as top rated, FYI. You may want to consider going to a tire in the touring class rather than ultra high performance. For giving us such lame oem tires, Lexus should at least get us discounts at Tirerack or Discount! Note to self: negotiate better tires at purchase.
Old 12-07-13, 12:45 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockyman
Somebody posted this awhile ago. Very informative. Trouble is no real user reviews on a/s 3 as it's so new.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177

Plus, each car is different. TireRack has the DWS as top rated, FYI. You may want to consider going to a tire in the touring class rather than ultra high performance. For giving us such lame oem tires, Lexus should at least get us discounts at Tirerack or Discount! Note to self: negotiate better tires at purchase.
I agree,. If it wasn't for the odd ball size 235/40R19 tires, I would of been able to get a replacement tire from dealer without any money out of my pocket but I wanted the Primacy MXM4 tires which come in size 245/40R19. I currently have them on my F-sport and god I love this car. It feels smooth, sporty with a perfect balance. The Bridgestones are an embarrassment to this brand. I thought Lexus would wise up and keep putting good Michelins on ALL of their cars.
Old 12-07-13, 12:48 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flippd
Not mean to hijack this thread... I have a 36month lease 12k/year. Currently at 3K/3mos. I have the stock tires and don't have anywhere to store them if I swap them now. I'm looking mostly for quiet comfortable tires, as I don't really have chances to push the car much. All seasons (a week of snow a year at most, but I need to get to work even if it snows).

1. When should I change the tires with the expectation that they'd still be good enough on inspection at lease turn in at 36K?
2. What about one expected to last til 30K of my car's mileage (in case I turn it in early for a newer car)?

Would appreciate any input!
What trim GS do you have? Premium or Luxury with 18 inch or the F-Sport with the 19 inch? I would get those crappy Bridgestones off the car soon rather then later and buy a good set of Michelins which will last 35k miles or more. That is good for enough thread left when the car is returned to dealer at end of lease. The Michelin Primacy MXM4 in size 235/45R18 or the 245/40R19 are both 94V rated and have at least 50k mile warranty. I have them on my F-sport in size 19 and they work perfect. I have done 12k miles on the tires and only used up 20% of the thread.
Old 12-07-13, 08:00 PM
flippd
Driver

I have the non-F sport 18s. Yeah, the only disappointment I have is the noise in the tires (and not living in California where deals are excellent). I'll take a look at those MXM4s you recommended, maybe at 5K just to be sure! Thanks for the input!
Old 12-07-13, 08:54 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rexus300
I agree,. If it wasn't for the odd ball size 235/40R19 tires, I would of been able to get a replacement tire from dealer without any money out of my pocket but I wanted the Primacy MXM4 tires which come in size 245/40R19. I currently have them on my F-sport and god I love this car. It feels smooth, sporty with a perfect balance. The Bridgestones are an embarrassment to this brand. I thought Lexus would wise up and keep putting good Michelins on ALL of their cars.
Remus,my outré pretty ken on the mxm4s. My Discount tire guys say they're hard to get. Do you have experience with the Conti DWS?
Old 12-08-13, 04:32 AM
GM11
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the MXM4s. These were OEM on mine, I replaced them with something else, then after a while realized I'd made a big mistake. Purchased MXM4s again to get back where I started, these are perfect for the GS.
Old 12-08-13, 08:05 AM
rockyman
Rookie

Originally Posted by GM11
+1 on the MXM4s. These were OEM on mine, I replaced them with something else, then after a while realized I'd made a big mistake. Purchased MXM4s again to get back where I started, these are perfect for the GS.
That's great they were oem for you.
Old 12-08-13, 08:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I also have the MXM4s OEM and they are great. 16k miles now and they have PLENTY of tread left. Quiet, smooth, good grip. I'll replace them with the same no question.
Old 12-08-13, 01:21 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Remus,my outré pretty ken on the mxm4s. My Discount tire guys say they're hard to get. Do you have experience with the Conti DWS?
Why not get the MXM4 from tire rack.com? I really prefer to get them mounted and properly road force balanced at a premium auto shop then discount. Discount usually perform terrible balancing jobs for the past 6 years on few cars of mines and I avoid them at all cost now. They can't even do road force balancing which requires more expertise.

Anyways, the DWS was a miss for me 2 times on a previous BMW and Lexus. They were defective and out of round causing vibration on the highways. I found the DWS to be soft and mushy. The Primacy MXM4 gives a better road feel and ride balance. The new Pilot Sport A/S3 have some firmness to them and some people did not like the ride in the W and Y rated version along with the XL- extra-load rating. However, some did like them at H and V rated with the SL -standard load rating and said they provided a smoother ride like the Pirmacy MXM4.
Old 12-08-13, 01:33 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flippd
Not mean to hijack this thread... I have a 36month lease 12k/year. Currently at 3K/3mos. I have the stock tires and don't have anywhere to store them if I swap them now. I'm looking mostly for quiet comfortable tires, as I don't really have chances to push the car much. All seasons (a week of snow a year at most, but I need to get to work even if it snows).

1. When should I change the tires with the expectation that they'd still be good enough on inspection at lease turn in at 36K?
2. What about one expected to last til 30K of my car's mileage (in case I turn it in early for a newer car)?

Would appreciate any input!
I was going to say "run them 'til they're bald or won't pass safety inspection" until I read your post. I didn't know leased cars needed to be turned in with any rubber left on the tire's carcass.
Old 12-08-13, 02:54 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I also have the MXM4s OEM and they are great. 16k miles now and they have PLENTY of tread left. Quiet, smooth, good grip. I'll replace them with the same no question.
I have those Bridgestone Turenzas OEM. Have 20k miles and about 7/32. They still have tread, but are getting noisy and squirmy.
Old 12-08-13, 02:59 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Why not get the MXM4 from tire rack.com? I really prefer to get them mounted and properly road force balanced at a premium auto shop then discount. Discount usually perform terrible balancing jobs for the past 6 years on few cars of mines and I avoid them at all cost now. They can't even do road force balancing which requires more expertise.

Anyways, the DWS was a miss for me 2 times on a previous BMW and Lexus. They were defective and out of round causing vibration on the highways. I found the DWS to be soft and mushy. The Primacy MXM4 gives a better road feel and ride balance. The new Pilot Sport A/S3 have some firmness to them and some people did not like the ride in the W and Y rated version along with the XL- extra-load rating. However, some did like them at H and V rated with the SL -standard load rating and said they provided a smoother ride like the Pirmacy MXM4.
Not a bad idea to think about the A/S 3's in a more comfortable rating. Another fellow has weighed in quite positive on the MXM4s, too. I'll check out the Recommended TireRack installers, as they are close.
Old 12-08-13, 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I have those Bridgestone Turenzas OEM. Have 20k miles and about 7/32. They still have tread, but are getting noisy and squirmy.
I'd replace them with the MXM4s...even if they aren't quite dead yet. Should make a HUGE improvement in the car.
Old 07-31-18, 05:04 AM
russrocks2
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm putting on these today at the 1 step up tire size all around I have read about. All season 50k tire.

245's in front and 275" in rear. Tired of 20k tires and the Dunlops are SOOOO noisy I can't hear the passenger talk on the freeway.

I have a shop and check and adjust my alignment every 6k miles. Even wear, just short life.

I'm installing these all the way around. I'll post my review after I drive on them this evening and back to work tomorrow.

ContinentalExtreme Contact DWS 06

Old 07-31-18, 08:47 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by russrocks2
I'm putting on these today at the 1 step up tire size all around I have read about. All season 50k tire.

245's in front and 275" in rear. Tired of 20k tires and the Dunlops are SOOOO noisy I can't hear the passenger talk on the freeway.

I have a shop and check and adjust my alignment every 6k miles. Even wear, just short life.

I'm installing these all the way around. I'll post my review after I drive on them this evening and back to work tomorrow.

ContinentalExtreme Contact DWS 06

I have the Dunlop Sport 5000's on my GS I just got, I did not think they were all that bad driving on them, a little noisy, but I looked up the reviews and they are one of the worst rated tires on tirerack especially for noise, treadlife, wear, and snow/wet traction. Some say they are flat out dangerous in snow and even rain. I'll be getting Conti Extreme Contacts DWS 06 when they wear or if they become unacceptable.

Quick Reply: Tires on GS350 F Sport