GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Its only money...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-13, 06:30 PM
matt2421
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Its only money...

Been wanting to try this out for a while, I should have done it sooner. Thanks to Mike@Vossen for the info and replying so quickly. Also, a big thanks to Marlon and Edwin at Discount Tire of Pensacola. I have no ties to Discount Tire but ive been dealing with this corporation for years through several different shops and time after time they have been nothing but awesome to work with, I highly recommend these guys.

So, these are the matte graphite CV3's with Michelin Pilot Sport AS 20x9 245/35/20 in the front and 20x10.5 285/30/20 in the rear (that rear tire is a beast) I think they look great, much better than the chrome wheels I was running previously. Couldn't be happier with the setup, thanks again to everyone who helped put this together for me. Sorry, pics are from my cell and aren't that great.
Attached Thumbnails Its only money...-before.jpg   Its only money...-after.jpg  
Old 06-15-13, 06:50 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks proper
Old 06-15-13, 07:33 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love the combo!! looks mad weird though without a drop.
Old 06-15-13, 08:11 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

nice wheel choice... looks good.
Old 06-17-13, 10:06 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Seize
Looks proper
Looks Proper now drop her!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-13, 10:20 AM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

needs a drop to finish the look.
Old 06-17-13, 04:39 PM
GS350MIKE
Pit Crew

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts

HUGE improvement
Old 06-17-13, 04:48 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks so much better
Old 06-17-13, 04:48 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Huge improvement. Now I have a question for you. I like Discount Tires too and they are also conveniently located. I assume you got tires from them? How does the balancing and mounting work? Did you have to get everything ready for them or just the wheels? And how much did they charge you for the installation?
Old 06-17-13, 06:35 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matt2421
I ordered wheels and tires at the same time from DT and they took care of everything for me. As for cost of the install, it was about $100. They charged $16 a wheel for install, lifetime balance and rotation. They also charged $7.50 a wheel for swapping out the tpms. It took about an hour to complete so I think what they charged, coupled with the care and quality of work was well worth it.
you failed to comment on all of our "drop it" comments!!
Old 06-17-13, 06:36 PM
matt2421
Rookie

Thanks for the compliments guys, I am constantly sneaking a peak at my baby with her new wheels.

As for the install, I ordered wheels and tires at the same time from DT and they took care of everything for me. They charged $16 a wheel for install, lifetime balance and rotation. They also charged $7.50 a wheel for swapping out the tpms. It took about an hour to complete so I think what they charged, about $100, coupled with the care and quality of work was well worth it.

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Huge improvement. Now I have a question for you. I like Discount Tires too and they are also conveniently located. I assume you got tires from them? How does the balancing and mounting work? Did you have to get everything ready for them or just the wheels? And how much did they charge you for the installation?
Old 06-17-13, 06:40 PM
matt2421
Rookie

I definitely want to drop her but it doesn't seem like there are a lot of options for the AWD. I know tanabe makes some coil overs but I'd really like Lexus to make some springs for the AWD ( I know, it won't happen). But if more options are made available its something ill seriously consider. I think next up is cross drilled rotors and painted calipers to accent the new wheels

Originally Posted by Nexson
you failed to comment on all of our "drop it" comments!!
Old 06-17-13, 06:45 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My experiences with DT variance by location, some store the techs very helpful and care for your car, some don't. If you let them know that you don't want any scratch to your wheels they know and will more careful.

Generally they don't have high performance tires in stock but can be special order from a day to a week, any brands, more tires available for special order in store than their online site. They will match Tire Rack, Costco, Sears.... The lifetime mounting and balancing cost around $15 each. If you ordered tires from them, you can drive for 30 days and return it if you don't like, scrub, any reason.... Some stores have road force machine and will charge more if you need. They will try to sell you $5/each for TPMS rebuild kit and I recommend no, leave mine alone.

Last month when put a new set of wheels & tires on my van, they didn't lift up the van, they jack it one by one at the corner and damage all 4 jacking rails, I had to fixed the rails and spray it with some coating paint. They also charged me $20 for TPMS rebuilt and not even replace anything when swapping the sensor from old wheels to new wheels, instead they damaged all 4 sensor nuts and make it look bad. I had to order new fitting kits and replace it. It's so annoying from that store. They also making a long 15 inches scratch around the lip when mounting the tire.

So when it come to the forged wheels for my GS, I bring to a different store, the guy take care the wheels when mounting and balance. When I ask them for road force balance, he explain and recommend no unless wheels are bend and tires had flat spot or if I had vibration then bring it back. He also clean all the wheels lube at every spoke. This time I mount them on the car by myself.

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Old 06-17-13, 08:32 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

looks great.. yellow calipers FTW...
Old 06-18-13, 03:46 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by matt2421
As for the install, I ordered wheels and tires at the same time from DT and they took care of everything for me. They charged $16 a wheel for install, lifetime balance and rotation. They also charged $7.50 a wheel for swapping out the tpms. It took about an hour to complete so I think what they charged, about $100, coupled with the care and quality of work was well worth it.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know they sell Vossen. I checked their website again and still don't see it. Is it a special order for you?

Originally Posted by onexcite
My experiences with DT variance by location, some store the techs very helpful and care for your car, some don't. If you let them know that you don't want any scratch to your wheels they know and will more careful.

Generally they don't have high performance tires in stock but can be special order from a day to a week, any brands, more tires available for special order in store than their online site. They will match Tire Rack, Costco, Sears.... The lifetime mounting and balancing cost around $15 each. If you ordered tires from them, you can drive for 30 days and return it if you don't like, scrub, any reason.... Some stores have road force machine and will charge more if you need. They will try to sell you $5/each for TPMS rebuild kit and I recommend no, leave mine alone.

Last month when put a new set of wheels & tires on my van, they didn't lift up the van, they jack it one by one at the corner and damage all 4 jacking rails, I had to fixed the rails and spray it with some coating paint. They also charged me $20 for TPMS rebuilt and not even replace anything when swapping the sensor from old wheels to new wheels, instead they damaged all 4 sensor nuts and make it look bad. I had to order new fitting kits and replace it. It's so annoying from that store. They also making a long 15 inches scratch around the lip when mounting the tire.

So when it come to the forged wheels for my GS, I bring to a different store, the guy take care the wheels when mounting and balance. When I ask them for road force balance, he explain and recommend no unless wheels are bend and tires had flat spot or if I had vibration then bring it back. He also clean all the wheels lube at every spoke. This time I mount them on the car by myself.
Thanks for the detailed response. For some reason I never liked the name so I had never done business with them before I moved here. When I got nailed, someone here recommended DT so I went for a try. I like the guy that dealt with me. I ended up buying four new Michelin for the RX from him. Recently I called to inquire some wheels. This time was a different guy because the other guy was off. He took some information and said someone would contact me the next day since he has check to see if their warehouse has the wheels. He didn't seem to be that interested in the sale and obviously no one called me back. I like their deal because there are still construction around my place and they would either fix or give me new tire if it's still under the warranty. I used to get tires from Costco but now it's not very convenient.