GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

My new GS 350 F-Sport (with review and pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-13, 11:04 PM
majin ssj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new GS 350 F-Sport (with review and pics)

Just picked up a 2013 Lexus GS 350 F-Sport today in Starfire Pearl with the Flaxen interior (basically the color of a baseball glove). Got a great deal on this car as Lexus is aggressively incentivising it at the moment with a $2500 rebate and the dealer was receptive to invoice pricing. My guess is that the new style is off-putting to traditional Lexus buyers and the younger demographic they are shooting for are still not impressed enough to ditch their Audis/BMW's. Its too bad because the GS 350 F-Sport is one of the best driving cars in the segment. I am coming from an Infiniti G37S/Lexus IS 350 and cross-shopped the BMW 528i/535i, Audi A6, and Infiniti M37S.

First off let me tell you guys that I am a huge fan of Lexus's new L-Finesse styling (other than in the new IS) and the GS is the perfect implementation of it IMO. The spindle grille is bold and aggressive and has grown on me much like the Audi grilles ended up doing. The back of the car is very reminiscent of the current IS and that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Things are a little plain along the sides of the car but there is a nice character line along the side skirt that reminds me of the E92 M3 in a way. Inside this new GS has one of the nicest interiors of any car in any segment with rich, opulent surfaces everywhere. The center console has a nicely padded knee rest covered in stitched leather, the door panels are swathed in leather and soft-touch surfaces all the way to the bottom, and the exquisite metal work around the classy analog clock bring to mind the finest Breitling has to offer.

Maybe I'm just weird but one thing I really pay close attention to in every car I drive is the gauge cluster and the GS doesn't disappoint in this regard. I love the simple layout with the high-res trip LCD between the speedo/tach and I'd definitely place it on par with the excellent cluster in the F10 (though admittedly with less functionality). The driver seat is a very nice place to be with 16-way power adjustability including side bolsters and thigh extension (too bad Lexus skimped on the passenger seat and its mere 8-way adjustments). Of course the seats are heated and cooled and I can say that the cooling is very good (while the heating automatically turns itself off way too much). In the back leg room is on par with the class though quite a bit more cramped than my Genesis sedan. Also of note is the increased road noise in the F-Sport which I didn't notice in the standard GS. This is of course attributable to the wide 19" summer tires which also contribute to a slightly stiffer ride quality as well.

The technology features of this car are fairly standard for the class and include such de rigeur items as rain-sensing wipers, rear sunshade (the F-sport eschews the side window shades of the lux package), blind spot monitoring, and back up camera with park assist. One notable feature of my new GS is the massive 12.3 inch nav screen which is even more massive than that of the 5-series. The screen is suitably high resolution and the navigation of menus is made easy with Lexus's mouse interface which I really love. The haptic feedback makes it a snap to zero in on your intended target and clicking on menu buttons is just as intuitive as using a mouse on your PC. I didn't get some of the other features such as rear steering, HUD or the Mark Levinson sound system but the standard stereo is very impressive in clarity and bass response. Even at max volume distortion is kept to a minimum and there is a 3-way EQ that allows for bass, treble and the all-important midrange adjustments.

Fortunately things get even better once you press the Start/Stop button. The 3.5 liter V6 is mostly the same as in the last GS/IS 350's and that's a good thing. Power is more than adequate and it is literally sewing-machine-smooth. What I love about Lexus's new implementation in the GS 350 F-Sport is the special intake sound chamber which does a fantastic job of highlighting the sporty nature of this engine while also keeping things subdued in regular driving. Steering feel on the F-Sport is commendably weighted, especially in Sport+ mode which firms everything up including the adjustable suspension and throttle response. Road feel is somewhat lacking but that seems to be the case with most cars in this class these days. Overall I'd say the GS 350 F-Sport performs brilliantly and goes a long way toward erasing the grandpa image of its direct predecessor.

The GS 350 comes in a few different flavors and trims. I had no interest in the 450h as I despise hybrids so I can't really comment on it. The dealer actually gave me a luxury package GS to drive for a few days initially and it differs in several ways from the F-Sport. Obviously the body kit is toned way down on the standard car and it comes with less aggressive 18" wheels and all-season tires. Inside the luxury package offers several features unavailable on the F-Sport such as AFLS (active headlights), side sunshades for the rear doors, rear stereo/climate controls, and full adjustments for the passenger seat as well as driver. The luxury package still includes the Sport+ mode with adjustable suspension but the tuning is different from the F-Sport's. Whereas the F-Sport lacks in some of the luxury features it makes up for it in performance upgrades. Already mentioned are the 19" sport rims with summer tires but the F-Sport also gets upgraded 14" brakes up front and stiffer variable suspension and steering. There is also special badging and a much more aggressively styled body kit that remains tasteful (unlike the IS-F IMO). Inside the F-Sport gets an exclusive black headliner as well as textured aluminum trim in lieu of the standard wood. The steering wheel is also unique with an F-Sport badge and full leather covering.

Pros:
-Aggressive exterior styling
-Impeccable fit and finish both in and out
-High quality interior materials
-Lexus's navigation interface out iDrive's iDrive
-Value for money especially with current discounts
-Adjustable performance that rivals anything from Germany in Sport+
-Excellent engine sound in the cabin
-Standard stereo is very good and the ML is about as good as it gets

Cons
-Aggressive exterior styling
-Rear seat space and comfort could use some work
-Road feel somewhat lacking
-Still needs more power to effectively compete with BMW/Audi upper end
-More road noise than expected

Lastly, I'd like to mention my dealer experience at Lexus of Orange Park in Jacksonville, FL. I walked onto the lot last Wednesday hoping to test drive both an ES 350 and GS 350 for comparison. The salesman was very nice and allowed a quick spin in each car. After a quick examination of my trade (our 06 IS 350 we also had purchased from LoOP) I explained that my wife needed to be able to drive the cars as well and he promptly offered to let me take the demo GS home for a few days so she could try it. Upon returning the GS he also gave me an ES for another couple days so that we could both get a good feel for the cars. I was very impressed with the entire experience as they went well beyond the normal dealership protocol to accommodate us. Upon returning we informed them that we had decided to go with the F-Sport GS and that I had prepared a detailed lease offer for them to look over. Incredibly the sales manager pretty much accepted my offer of $200 over invoice minus the $2500 rebate bringing my negotiated price to well below invoice. Monthly payments ended up at $625/mo for 36 months (15k a year) with $1700 drive off. All in all I am very satisfied with the deal and would highly recommend Lexus of Orange Park to my family and friends.

Now onto the pics! I have to apologize for the location as I didn't have time today to do a proper photo shoot. Just grabbed the D5100 and snapped some in the Wal-Mart parking lot:

Old 06-11-13, 12:04 AM
mush
Pole Position

Congrats! Looks good
Old 06-11-13, 03:41 AM
Jq3
Driver School Candidate

Sweet ride! I wanted a F-Sport, but I was so upside down on my 1 year old trade I had to forgo that option.
Old 06-11-13, 04:18 AM
IMXCITD
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

very sweet!
Old 06-11-13, 04:53 AM
hksboost
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, simply clean
Old 06-11-13, 05:57 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the GS! I'm really diggin' the color combo you went with
Old 06-11-13, 06:46 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Congrats, you will enjoy it. I will say that I think some are holding back because they either want to wait for the kinks to be worked out or they are hoping for a V8.
Old 06-11-13, 06:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice!
What brand tire is on the GS?
Old 06-11-13, 06:56 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Congrats! I picked up the StarFire Pearl FSport also but opted for Black interior,.
Old 06-11-13, 07:08 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

uuuuuuummmmmm majin... you forgot to take off your window sticker. congratz on your new ride. you seem very happy and satisfied with your purchase. enjoyed the review. that Flaxen int. is hot, Flaxen and Cabernet are the best 2 interiors. any plans on modding? enjoy her.
Old 06-11-13, 07:11 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Nice!
What brand tire is on the GS?
Generally, they put Bridgestones on it. I had mine ripped off and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport put on in a 245 front and 275 rear. Otherwise same aspect ration on the sidewalls which was 40 front and 35 rear. No rubbing, much better grip, and will also last much longer and quieter than the bridgestones. Had the dealer swap at no charge as the bridgestones somehow they said were more expensive.
Old 06-11-13, 07:34 AM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice pickup, I originally went to the dealership for the white one but ended up taking home the black one, love the white though....
Old 06-11-13, 07:37 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
Generally, they put Bridgestones on it. I had mine ripped off and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport put on in a 245 front and 275 rear. Otherwise same aspect ration on the sidewalls which was 40 front and 35 rear. No rubbing, much better grip, and will also last much longer and quieter than the bridgestones. Had the dealer swap at no charge as the bridgestones somehow they said were more expensive.
I ask because the road noise goes down with Michelins.
I see Bridgestones on the F Sport AWD and Bridgestone and Dunlop summer tires on the RWD.
The AWD luxury pkg comes with Dunlop Sport 5100's or Michelin MXM4.
My Dunlops are not too bad but the MXM4's would be quieter.
Old 06-11-13, 07:43 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Just got it and a review already? Nice write up. They let me keep a demo for a day to try out too. to some of these sale guys. How do you feel about the back? I wasn't impressed at all but it grew on me and I think the back looks great compared to the rest in its segment. There was an A5 (I think) parked behind me the other day. It feels great to see the two next to each others. I was walking towards the cars and at the moment I must say the GS looked better. It felt kind of weird though. I always thought the Audi's exterior looked better. Congrats and enjoy. Flaxen is hot. BTW, I think you got a great deal too.
Old 06-11-13, 10:56 AM
Eis
Driver School Candidate

Looks beautiful. Whatever you do, try not to destroy the front bumper by drilling it for the front plate.

Quick Reply: My new GS 350 F-Sport (with review and pics)