GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Dissapointed in build quality.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 03:35 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dissapointed in build quality.

so based off my other thread, apparently there are 4GS's out there with not a single rattle, and others that have the same rattles i'm hearing. i personally don't believe that this car can be quiet, unless you only drive on smooth roads with no bumps or potholes. brand new GS's at the dealer made the same 'adhesive' sound when firmly pressing on the door panels, which i feel is a big culprit of the noises i'm hearing.

i drove in a very rough and bumpy road last night through construction, and couldn't believe how noisy the car was inside.

rattles/ticking sound coming from center dash, side dash near the door on both sides, a fluttering sound from the front door area on both sides, the b-pillar seat belt noise, and a bunch of noises coming from the back seat area too that i couldn't pinpoint.

turning music on to around 25-30 volume makes the rattles inaudible, but i'm wondering if this car should be this noisy inside?

driving on good roads, its a lot quieter, but there are still noises coming from the doors, b-pillar, and rear seat area especially over bumps.

my friend e-class is built solid and has not one rattle asides from the occasional rear sunshade.

i'm curious if the dealer can even fix these as i've read about a lot of times that dealers really can't fix rattles, because what are they supposed to do? change the entire dash and all doors?

i love the car, no doubt, but really disappointed on how noisy it is inside, and the 3GS had these same issues so i wonder if it's just something the GS is known for.
Old 05-02-13, 04:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
so based off my other thread, apparently there are 4GS's out there with not a single rattle, and others that have the same rattles i'm hearing. i personally don't believe that this car can be quiet, unless you only drive on smooth roads with no bumps or potholes. brand new GS's at the dealer made the same 'adhesive' sound when firmly pressing on the door panels, which i feel is a big culprit of the noises i'm hearing.

i drove in a very rough and bumpy road last night through construction, and couldn't believe how noisy the car was inside.

rattles/ticking sound coming from center dash, side dash near the door on both sides, a fluttering sound from the front door area on both sides, the b-pillar seat belt noise, and a bunch of noises coming from the back seat area too that i couldn't pinpoint.

turning music on to around 25-30 volume makes the rattles inaudible, but i'm wondering if this car should be this noisy inside?

driving on good roads, its a lot quieter, but there are still noises coming from the doors, b-pillar, and rear seat area especially over bumps.

my friend e-class is built solid and has not one rattle asides from the occasional rear sunshade.

i'm curious if the dealer can even fix these as i've read about a lot of times that dealers really can't fix rattles, because what are they supposed to do? change the entire dash and all doors?

i love the car, no doubt, but really disappointed on how noisy it is inside, and the 3GS had these same issues so i wonder if it's just something the GS is known for.
5+months in, a few K miles and no rattles or creak... yet. 6/12 build.
Cold or warm weather.
I'm very, very happy with my GS.

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-02-13 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 04:08 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is starting to do it to with 2,500 miles. Has a rattle in the drivers side pilar near the seatbelt, another in the center of the dash that sounds like its near the nav screen. Just this morning, a new one started in the center console somewhere. A $60k car shouldn't do this, my old $35k Acura TL didn't have this many rattles.

It's disappointing for sure.
Old 05-02-13, 04:12 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

i will say the rattles started for me at around the 5.5k mile mark(currently at 6800, yes i drive a lot),. the car was fairly quiet right when i got it. just a slight tick in the middle of dash by navi.
Old 05-02-13, 04:42 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine, imported May, 2012, is silent. Took a 550 mile trip this week over the terrible Arizona roads and never heard a creak or a rattle.
Old 05-02-13, 04:44 PM
zicogold
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be very upset if there was rattles in my car, but I have none. The car is as they used to say in my youth in Montreal "le solid gold".
Old 05-02-13, 05:06 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

i could be wrong, but i think those that say their car is silent, aren't as picky or **** as those that say they hear rattles.
Old 05-02-13, 05:29 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I have the same rattles as the OP. Build date is 12/11. Purchased the car the day after it came out.
Old 05-02-13, 05:29 PM
ECL
Instructor

i could be wrong, but i think those that say their car is silent, aren't as picky or **** as those that say they hear rattles.
I think you are wrong, but I will not declare how **** I am or how **** I am not. My hearing may be another issue for discussion.
Old 05-02-13, 05:34 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just for reference, mine is a 1/13 build, purchased in 2/13. 2,500 miles and has all the rattles I described above. So it doesn't appear they've made an corrections from earlier builds.
Old 05-02-13, 05:40 PM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by CincyBrad
Just for reference, mine is a 1/13 build, purchased in 2/13. 2,500 miles and has all the rattles I described above. So it doesn't appear they've made an corrections from earlier builds.
My dealership has a mechanic/technician whose specialty is finding and correcting rattles and other unexpected noises in new Lexi. Happily, i have not required his services. Have you discussed your concerns with the Lexus store where your vehicle was purchased?
Old 05-02-13, 06:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not me,I'm OCD about my vehicles and I absolutely hate rattles and creaks.
So far...so good.

Last edited by Joeb427; 05-02-13 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 06:47 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Had my car since November. Noticed rattles starting around 4K. Now at 8600, there's a rattle in the center dash, b-pillar seatbelt, and door. The roads where I live are quite rough, so the rattles get very annoying. I'm going to ask the dealer to look into it soon.
Old 05-02-13, 07:11 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyBrad
2/14 delivery here. Dead quiet to me and to other passengers I've driven.

Must be luck of the draw?
Old 05-02-13, 07:24 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's all kind of relative to what you're used to. If you've been used to driving a Lexus for a long time, then you are used to the silence and will notice EVERY SINGLE squeak or rattle! If you've previously driven something that is very noisy, then the little noises won't even register in your head.

Try this experiment. Those of you with "squeaky cars", take one of your friends for a ride that drives a GM or Ford product. Go over rough roads and harsh areas that will exacerbate the rattles. Don't tell them to listen for any rattles. After you finish the test ride, ask them how noisy they felt your car was. I bet you they wouldn't of even noticed it lol.

I've tried this test countless times. There will be a squeak driving me absolutely bat-poop crazy. I take one of my friends for a ride and they notice absolutely nothing. Unless you specifically point it out, and tell them to listen for it. Then they will think you're crazy for having such a minute sound drive you bonkers lol!

But yes, I agree a car this expensive should be built like a solid tank

Quick Reply: Dissapointed in build quality.