GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

RWD F-sport rare find

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 11:38 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RWD F-sport rare find

I am interested in checking out a new GS 350 F-Sport RWD here in the greater Boston area and have found it near impossible to find one. I realize with our winters why there would be a majority of AWD choices but having been driving here for over 40 years and have owned many rwd vehicles(2 SC 430s as well as others) equipped with a set of 4 snows to be more than acceptable. Is this the case in most of the Northern snow belt states or are they rare to find everywhere? I would be curious to hear from rwd owners that may have looked at the awd and decided to go rwd and if there was a significant difference in the two choices.

Thanks for any feedback
JTMav
Old 05-02-13, 11:57 AM
puckhead85
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most NE dealers won't stock RWD only AWD. I know my dealer won't stock RWD on Long Island.
Old 05-02-13, 12:23 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by JTMav
I am interested in checking out a new GS 350 F-Sport RWD here in the greater Boston area and have found it near impossible to find one. I realize with our winters why there would be a majority of AWD choices but having been driving here for over 40 years and have owned many rwd vehicles(2 SC 430s as well as others) equipped with a set of 4 snows to be more than acceptable. Is this the case in most of the Northern snow belt states or are they rare to find everywhere? I would be curious to hear from rwd owners that may have looked at the awd and decided to go rwd and if there was a significant difference in the two choices.

Thanks for any feedback
JTMav
You will not find one, they are not offered here in Boston or Mass. I was looking for one when I was getting ready to purchase, they told me that they have to be ordered or outsourced from another dealership. I personally hate the AWD system and wish I got a RWD GS like I have always owned. There is a significant difference in RWD vs AWD more options is one of them and I think it looks better has bigger brakes and staggered wheel setup, these would be all pluses for me. Not to mention you can get DRS, I would do some searching in the hotter area's and make a trip if buying used, if brand new see what the dealership can get you.
Old 05-02-13, 12:44 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Yeah, there is a line drawn through the country that only get AWD and only get RWD. From what I was told, the RWDs come through the JAX port and the AWDs come through the Portland port. If you want a RWD, your dealer will have to trade to get one, or you can contact the dealer directly and pay the "shipping" costs.

I'm in KY...we get AWDs, but TN gets RWDs...so north vs south.
Old 05-02-13, 01:08 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Virginia only gets AWD. North Carolina gets RWD. So your dealer will have to trade for what you want. Lexus allocates them like that
Old 05-02-13, 01:13 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each dealer orders the inventory themselves according to what they know they can sell. Any state can get any vehicle they want but pay for it to sit till it sells. We ordered a LFA here, has been sitting pretty in the show room for quite a while...
Old 05-02-13, 01:39 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Seems smart, to order AWD vehicles where snow/ice is typically expected 4-6 months of the year.
Old 05-02-13, 02:16 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just have a dealer trade for the vehicle.
Old 05-03-13, 05:27 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help. I don't want to commit to a car without a good test drive. I'll see if a dealer will swap for one and see where it goes from there.

JTMav
Old 05-03-13, 06:59 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by JTMav
Thanks for all the help. I don't want to commit to a car without a good test drive. I'll see if a dealer will swap for one and see where it goes from there.

JTMav
What part of Mass you from you can try Herb Chambers Lexus speak with Alex Guia, they maybe able to transfer one over.
Old 05-03-13, 07:23 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

When I was looking for my GS, the dealerships told me that less than 5% of the cars they sell are RWD and as such they don't order them unless they're special (they did say they can order them though). In a way I was "lucky" that they didn't have a RWD to test drive as the comparison between the two would have probably made me want to buy the RWD. Because I only drove the AWD (and my comparison points were my wife's EX35, and my dad's older E-4Matic and current gen CLS-4Matic), I didn't "notice" a difference that made me want to go RWD.

I also probably wouldn't have been able to negotiate the price down as much if I had demanded a RWD.

On that note, the sales manager at the first dealership either didn't know about the rear wheel steering or outright tried to deceive me. To paraphrase him "It makes no sense to get the RWD F-Sport as it's the same price as the AWD F-Sport". When I pointed out that the RWD F-Sport has four wheel steering and some other better components, he said it didn't. He said he went to special GS training and they told him the cars were identical other than how the wheels were driven. Couple that with him only giving me a $500 discount on MSRP and he lost my business. Unfortunate for him because my parents had bought two LX from him before.. and going forward I'm going to refer them to another dealership.

FYI, I'm in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Old 05-03-13, 07:36 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by mehran888
When I was looking for my GS, the dealerships told me that less than 5% of the cars they sell are RWD and as such they don't order them unless they're special (they did say they can order them though). In a way I was "lucky" that they didn't have a RWD to test drive as the comparison between the two would have probably made me want to buy the RWD. Because I only drove the AWD (and my comparison points were my wife's EX35, and my dad's older E-4Matic and current gen CLS-4Matic), I didn't "notice" a difference that made me want to go RWD.

I also probably wouldn't have been able to negotiate the price down as much if I had demanded a RWD.

On that note, the sales manager at the first dealership either didn't know about the rear wheel steering or outright tried to deceive me. To paraphrase him "It makes no sense to get the RWD F-Sport as it's the same price as the AWD F-Sport". When I pointed out that the RWD F-Sport has four wheel steering and some other better components, he said it didn't. He said he went to special GS training and they told him the cars were identical other than how the wheels were driven. Couple that with him only giving me a $500 discount on MSRP and he lost my business. Unfortunate for him because my parents had bought two LX from him before.. and going forward I'm going to refer them to another dealership.

You should have told him he sounds like a fool and knows nothing about Lexus.
Old 05-03-13, 08:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Rear Steering is a $1700 option and I believe very rare.
Old 05-03-13, 09:31 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The RWD is cheaper than AWD. Besides that, there are many other differences between the two, they are far from identical. Seems like this guy was either playing dumb so that you would buy the AWD, or he really has no clue what he is selling.....

I went through hell to get the RWD back in 2008. Not a single North East dealer wanted to work with me. This is what I hate the most about Lexus. They don't let you choose what you want to drive.
Old 05-03-13, 09:36 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The RWD is cheaper than AWD. Besides that, there are many other differences between the two, they are far from identical. Seems like this guy was either playing dumb so that you would buy the AWD, or he really has no clue what he is selling.....

I went through hell to get the RWD back in 2008. Not a single North East dealer wanted to work with me. This is what I hate the most about Lexus. They don't let you choose what you want to drive.
No ML in the NE either.

Quick Reply: RWD F-sport rare find