GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HTC One vs. Galaxy S4

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13, 02:31 PM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts
Default HTC One vs. Galaxy S4

Just went to a local AT&T store to try these two phones and see how they connect with the car. I did not look at any other features, just purely the Bluetooth MAP features.

Galaxy S4 - connected just fine, but only showed SMS message. The reply function works fine. Once I enabled email on the phone, I could not get it to enable the Messages button in the car anymore, and can't confirm if e-mail read / reply works.

HTC One - connected just fine, SMS + EMail works great. Reply functions work on both sms and on e-Mail, it reads the subject and the body of the e-mail message. (One my current HTC Sensation, the body of the email does not work).

So, at least for this feature, looks like the HTC One wins.

If any if you have gotten either of these phones, please let us know how they work with the car. I would be interested if any of these phones can transmit the picture of contacts to the car, for like incoming calls.
Old 04-28-13, 02:54 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want the One. But nothing yet for Verizon. I had AT&T for 8 years. Some of the spottiest and worst customer service I've ever had for the last three years.

I just wish they didn't always get the new devices. The S4 feels cheap and bland.
Old 04-28-13, 03:37 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

HTC has a sealed battery and no storage upgrade which I don't like.Got a S3 and probably will go S4 next.
Old 04-28-13, 03:46 PM
obadea
Intermediate

how does the s3 work with the car? can it read emails? does it show the picture of the person calling?

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-28-13, 04:10 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always had iPhones. I don't keep a phone longer than a year or two. Not a concern on replacing. Just how long it will hold a charge. My iPhone 5 has terrible battery life since apple botched something up for all iPhone users a couple weeks ago.
Old 05-13-13, 10:12 PM
danjb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by obadea
Once I enabled email on the phone, I could not get it to enable the Messages button in the car anymore, and can't confirm if e-mail read / reply works.
Thanks for testing this! I'm considering the S4, but after suffering with no MAP support on the Galaxy Nexus for a year, I really want a phone that at least does SMS text message support in the 4GS.

I can't tell from your post; do you mean if you set up email on the phone, even SMS text messages can't be received or replied to on the car? I don't care about email messages in the car, so the fact that it doesn't work doesn't bother me. I just don't want it to kill my text messages if I enable email on the phone.

Thanks for any answer!
Old 05-14-13, 05:49 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

To change the subject just a bit, do you have to have an Enform Safety Connect subscription to receive text messages? I am about to let my subscription expire.
Old 05-14-13, 07:00 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
To change the subject just a bit, do you have to have an Enform Safety Connect subscription to receive text messages? I am about to let my subscription expire.
To receive text messages using the Bluetooth MAP on your phone? No. You don't need Enform safety connect (or any other Lexus subscription for that matter)
Old 05-14-13, 07:17 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by obadea
Just went to a local AT&T store to try these two phones and see how they connect with the car. I did not look at any other features, just purely the Bluetooth MAP features.

Galaxy S4 - connected just fine, but only showed SMS message. The reply function works fine. Once I enabled email on the phone, I could not get it to enable the Messages button in the car anymore, and can't confirm if e-mail read / reply works.

HTC One - connected just fine, SMS + EMail works great. Reply functions work on both sms and on e-Mail, it reads the subject and the body of the e-mail message. (One my current HTC Sensation, the body of the email does not work).

So, at least for this feature, looks like the HTC One wins.

If any if you have gotten either of these phones, please let us know how they work with the car. I would be interested if any of these phones can transmit the picture of contacts to the car, for like incoming calls.
Thanks for this cause I had the same questions as I was looking between these two phones as well.
Old 05-14-13, 01:54 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Returned my HTC One today. I'm too dependent on ease of use and functionality. Went back to iPhone 5.

The streaming Bluetooth never showed the artist song or album titles and the messaging was annoying, as it popped up with emails and texts.

It's a great phone, just not for me. I'll stick with what works.
Old 05-14-13, 03:46 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Returned my HTC One today. I'm too dependent on ease of use and functionality. Went back to iPhone 5.

The streaming Bluetooth never showed the artist song or album titles and the messaging was annoying, as it popped up with emails and texts.

It's a great phone, just not for me. I'll stick with what works.
Well I'm out, guess I'm staying with my phone as I was also changing from iPhone 5 as well.
Old 05-14-13, 06:03 PM
obadea
Intermediate

So I ended up getting the S4, and love the phone, it's absolutely amazing. Here's what works and does not work with our car (placed a call with Lexus and they told me at some point, they will test is with the car).

What Works:
- Full SMS support, car reads all messages every time and can fully reply (same on HTC One)
- Picture when call comes in - shows picture from your phone for your contact
- Full text / album info over Bluetooth audio
- All other contacts, call history work perfectly

What does not works:
- email currently not compatible with Lexus (the phone does support it)
- usb drive, but Bluetooth can read everything off the phone (because usb drive not working, Grace Note is not working on the phone data; my previous phone this worked).

BTW, for those of you who have iPHONES, the SMS DOES NOT WORK. What you see is a notification, which is why you can not reply to message. Full MAP Compliance, the car can read your entire list of messages, you can read them all and can fully reply.
Old 05-15-13, 06:39 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

@bigblack06: You may like it. It's a very nice phone. I'm just so used to Apple now, that it just made things difficult for me. The HTC doesn't have a "Home" button that wakes the phone up. It has the power button on the top, but it's on the left. I'm used to the button being on the right. Also, iPhone has the side mute button...which is very convenient...not so much on the HTC. Also, this was the first Android device I've ever used. I was unaware that not all apps in the Google Play store can't be installed on all devices. Most of the time in the Apple App store, if you find an app, it will install on most/all devices. I found that very disappointing. Ended up just being too many minor annoyances that made me feel like I was compromising to have a larger screen. When in the end, the larger screen may have been a little too big anyway. /0.02
Old 05-15-13, 06:55 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by jtrue28
@bigblack06: You may like it. It's a very nice phone. I'm just so used to Apple now, that it just made things difficult for me. The HTC doesn't have a "Home" button that wakes the phone up. It has the power button on the top, but it's on the left. I'm used to the button being on the right. Also, iPhone has the side mute button...which is very convenient...not so much on the HTC. Also, this was the first Android device I've ever used. I was unaware that not all apps in the Google Play store can't be installed on all devices. Most of the time in the Apple App store, if you find an app, it will install on most/all devices. I found that very disappointing. Ended up just being too many minor annoyances that made me feel like I was compromising to have a larger screen. When in the end, the larger screen may have been a little too big anyway. /0.02
Yeah I'm the same, I have never owned any other phone than an apple phone so all my music and everything else would be a huge change.
Old 05-18-13, 03:02 PM
JAM
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe the new iphone with the new operating system of 7.0 coming out end of summer will take care of the MAP to be fully operation with our
Lexus in responding fully to text messages and maybe even emails. I would hate to move to S4 but will do so to have the full effects of our system.

Quick Reply: HTC One vs. Galaxy S4