GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

help me decide between wheels for my fsport

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 10:23 AM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those DPE's look nice. I think the HRE's are a pretty big bump up in budget compared to the rest but they look amazing. I was actually planning on ordering the volk g25's too but I cant find it in my specs and lead time is way too long 3-4 months. But the price compared to the rest is not so bad.
Old 04-29-13, 01:13 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm leaning towards the RAYS wheels... Does anyone know why the RAYS lug nuts are so damn expensive...
Old 04-29-13, 01:27 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
I'm leaning towards the RAYS wheels... Does anyone know why the RAYS lug nuts are so damn expensive...
I think because its Ray, so I guess they can charge whatever they want.
Old 04-29-13, 02:12 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think they are all expensive. Certain ones however do have a long lead time since they are JDM. Which ones are you looking for?
Old 04-29-13, 04:21 PM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wheels are similar to HRE....

Old 04-30-13, 05:49 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just researched all of the possible lug nuts and I bought McGard SplineDrive lug nuts. I know, they're not JDM, but I can't find anyone who complains of any issues such as color flaking off or rusting with the McGard lug nuts.

A lot of the JDM-style lug nuts (Work, Volk, et al.) are constructed of aluminum which is soft and uses an anodized coating. That means you have to be careful what tools you use when removing the lug nuts and the coating will inevitably chip off over time. The two piece Project KICS Racing Composite and Rays Racing Formula lug nuts are made of steel which tends to rust over time, primarily from the exposed threads. Also, the color fades from the red or blue portion of the Rays FR lug nuts.

The McGard SplineDrive lug nuts are a two piece design which makes them less likely to scratch the wheel surface. Note that the matching McGard locks are not two piece. They have a lifetime warranty. Finally, McGard lug nuts are made in the United States.

As to your original question; everything Rays-branded is expensive. Combine that with unfavorable exchange rates and you end up with $400 lug nuts.

Last edited by Outrage; 04-30-13 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-30-13, 08:00 AM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
I just researched all of the possible lug nuts and I bought McGard SplineDrive lug nuts. I know, they're not JDM, but I can't find anyone who complains of any issues such as color flaking off or rusting with the McGard lug nuts.

A lot of the JDM-style lug nuts (Work, Volk, et al.) are constructed of aluminum which is soft and uses an anodized coating. That means you have to be careful what tools you use when removing the lug nuts and the coating will inevitably chip off over time. The two piece Project KICS Racing Composite and Rays Racing Formula lug nuts are made of steel which tends to rust over time, primarily from the exposed threads. Also, the color fades from the red or blue portion of the Rays FR lug nuts.

The McGard SplineDrive lug nuts are a two piece design which makes them less likely to scratch the wheel surface. Note that the matching McGard locks are not two piece. They have a lifetime warranty. Finally, McGard lug nuts are made in the United States.

As to your original question; everything Rays-branded is expensive. Combine that with unfavorable exchange rates and you end up with $400 lug nuts.
McGard are good ones, but I have very good luck with Gorilla , and had no rust or paint chip at all, and they have Lifetime warranty also.