GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Headlamp conversion for 2013 Lexus GS350

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 10:10 AM
2_xplicite
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking doing the JDM LED headlight conversion. Can anyone here confirm if it's plug-and-play or I totally need a different harness? I think the connectors are the same and the Xenon headlight (Brown) is missing one pin wire where the LED headlight (Blue) has a white wire in place and I'm not sure if all the colored wires are matched. Got these pictures off of google.
Attached Thumbnails Headlamp conversion for 2013 Lexus GS350-headlight6.jpg   Headlamp conversion for 2013 Lexus GS350-headlight4.jpg  
Old 01-29-14, 02:02 PM
mshmsh
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are not plug and play for F sport owners because we do not have AFS feature and all LED projectors have them. Will post DIY later cuz i did mine
Old 01-29-14, 09:56 PM
Herofmine
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kenchow

Hi,
how much they are in Japan?
Old 02-22-14, 07:20 AM
Jafch1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several issues one might run into is the AFS programming and missing components needed for the headlights to swivel at night. I would have to look at one of our GS450h fleet cars and see if the headlights use the same plug harnesses.

As for the "cool factor" as much as I like the LED ones, I have driven both at night, and I prefer the HID ones. Reason being, the cut off is not as direct as the LED ones, giving you more light, the HID seem brighter, where as the LED seem to be all one even brightness all around. And lastly, when using your brights, the LED one uses a standard halogen bulb vs. the HID ones which are Bi-Xenon that use the same low-beam HID bulb.
Old 04-20-14, 09:27 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mshmsh
They are not plug and play for F sport owners because we do not have AFS feature and all LED projectors have them. Will post DIY later cuz i did mine
Apparently, after some research, I discovered that US market F sport vehicles DO NOT HAVE THE SAID FEATURE.

Yet, when you take a look at the Lexus websites for Europe and Japan, one can clearly notice that all GS F SPORT vehicles have HID Bi-Xenon headlights with:
-Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS)
and
-Automatic High Beam (AHB)

Heck, even a European GS 250 F SPORT has AFS

http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/gs/gs...Specifications
http://lexus.jp/models/gs/specificat...350/index.html

So with that in mind, I think it's a matter of whether any additional programming would be needed....

P.S.
Anyways, for those who have done retrofits and installation swap (HID Bi-Xenon -> FULL LED), please be kind enough to post some guides

Thanks

Last edited by Blackraven; 04-20-14 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-20-14, 10:46 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I switched to full LED, but my input is meaningless, since I have the non F model. For me it was plug-n-play, everything is working fine.
Old 04-20-14, 11:59 AM
mshmsh
Driver

Sorry for not being on the forums as I'm busy with finals. So to summarize this:

If you have F sport In the US you are screwed! Because all LED headlights ever made have AFS so you will have issues with your Auto level on your F sport. The high beam issue is solved easily. If you have the Luxury package GS then you are solid and the full LED will work fine. I took mine off and They are up for sale. They work on Both GS but the F sport you will have a stupid triangle on the dash stating that your auto level is malfunctioning! If you can live with that or try to disconnect the fuse that relates to it is fine but me I need everything to be OEM. So mine is up for sale and yes both low and high beam work on F sport its just the auto level that doesn't. For luxury GSs it's plug N play
Old 04-20-14, 01:22 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Sorry for not being on the forums as I'm busy with finals. So to summarize this: If you have F sport In the US you are screwed! Because all LED headlights ever made have AFS so you will have issues with your Auto level on your F sport. The high beam issue is solved easily. If you have the Luxury package GS then you are solid and the full LED will work fine. I took mine off and They are up for sale. They work on Both GS but the F sport you will have a stupid triangle on the dash stating that your auto level is malfunctioning! If you can live with that or try to disconnect the fuse that relates to it is fine but me I need everything to be OEM. So mine is up for sale and yes both low and high beam work on F sport its just the auto level that doesn't. For luxury GSs it's plug N play
I know how it is with finals... This is a bummer. I wanted to eventually get these headlights on my F-Sport.
Old 04-21-14, 12:32 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
I switched to full LED, but my input is meaningless, since I have the non F model. For me it was plug-n-play, everything is working fine.
Glad it worked for you.

By the way, does your GS have the "AUTOMATIC HIGH BEAM" feature?

Something that looks like this:

Old 04-21-14, 10:40 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

All US version does NOT have auto high beam. :-(
Old 04-21-14, 02:55 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Glad it worked for you.

nope, don't think I have that option
Old 04-22-14, 07:00 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

^^^
That's a bummer

Still, on a more positive note, at least it's good that the Full LED headlamps only requires AFS and that Auto High Beam is optional/not required.

With that said, I don't know if there is a remedy for GS F Sport vehicles in the North America market. Do you think adding AFS would mean just adding some components? Additional software programming? Or does it involve something more complex than that? (i.e. CAN-BUS network)

P.S.
Slightly off-topic though some related:

Here's a forum discussion regarding rear fog lamp installation for the Mitsubishi Outlander as well as some technical discussion and whatnot

For those who are curious, this is a good read:
http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion...tricky-subject

Last edited by Blackraven; 04-22-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 04-22-14, 02:38 PM
mshmsh
Driver

^^^ That's a bummer Still, on a more positive note, at least it's good that the Full LED headlamps only requires AFS and that Auto High Beam is optional/not required. With that said, I don't know if there is a remedy for GS F Sport vehicles in the North America market. Do you think adding AFS would mean just adding some components? Additional software programming? Or does it involve something more complex than that? (i.e. CAN-BUS network) P.S. Slightly off-topic though some related: Here's a forum discussion regarding rear fog lamp installation for the Mitsubishi Outlander as well as some technical discussion and whatnot For those who are curious, this is a good read: http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion...tricky-subject
The ECU for the AFS is actually available at Sewell website and it cost around 400$ i think. But not sure what other components are needed with that.
Old 03-23-18, 05:08 AM
omar2014
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for not being on the forums as I'm busy with finals. So to summarize this:

If you have F sport In the US you are screwed! Because all LED headlights ever made have AFS so you will have issues with your Auto level on your F sport. The high beam issue is solved easily. If you have the Luxury package GS then you are solid and the full LED will work fine. I took mine off and They are up for sale. They work on Both GS but the F sport you will have a stupid triangle on the dash stating that your auto level is malfunctioning! If you can live with that or try to disconnect the fuse that relates to it is fine but me I need everything to be OEM. So mine is up for sale and yes both low and high beam work on F sport its just the auto level that doesn't. For luxury GSs it's plug N play
how can I know if the LED headlight can be plug-n-play in my car?, is the existance of the AFS is the main reason dor that? If so how can I know if my car has AFS
Old 03-19-21, 04:27 PM
DavoLBC
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bottom headlight image with angled lines

Glad it worked for you.

Does the bottom headlight image with angled lines going through a vertical line mean I have AFS or auto leveling headlights? I have a 2016 GS350F sport luxury package Mark Levinson sound system etc... But it seems like the headlights are always just pointing straight so paint me confused. Thanks in advance.