GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Rattles, rattles, and more rattles.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-13, 11:10 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a rattle in my driver's seat belt adjustment panel. Whenever I go over a pin or a feather, I hear a little tick noise in my ear. I took it to lexus and "they didn't hear it"

I ended up taking apart the whole seat belt adjustment panel and added little cushions to every moving part and it still rattles!! I like to drive around sometimes with no music on and the rattle sound right in my ear is a clear annoyance.
Old 04-07-13, 01:30 PM
XBimR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nov 12 manufacturer date, 2800 miles.... Quiet as a tomb. Sorry to hear yours is not the same
Old 04-07-13, 07:43 PM
LexFather

No rattles here, only time I hear a rattle is when I put the phone or something is in the door and I turn up the music..I do confuse a rattle with that. I just drove the living crap out of the car at the Dragon/GA mountain roads and no rattles.
Old 04-07-13, 08:59 PM
Driver School Candidate

no rattles here...
Old 04-07-13, 10:22 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess rattle is the wrong word, it's just the adhesive noise, its a very soft tick when i go over bumps.
Old 04-08-13, 08:26 AM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Rattles, scratching, rubbing, ticking. My car is an expert at them.

I was actually speaking to my wife about the issue I had resurfacing again recently and brought up the idea of hoping Lexus will buy the car back, or just selling it outright, and her response summer it up pretty well. "But you love everything about this car. What would you buy instead?".

I had no response. Oh well.
Old 01-31-15, 04:52 PM
rockyman
Rookie

Default Rattles fixed

I have a 2013 GS 350 F Sport with about 36k miles. Love the car but hate the rattles. I finally tracked them down on my own after two trips to the dealer. Maybe this will help someone.

Rattle #1: Came from cup holder area, on passenger side. I first thought it was coming from air vent area, but after careful listening and tapping around to reproduce sound, I found it was coming from right side of cupholder. My fix: The panel covering the sides of the center console come off with a firm upward pressure. Underneath is the plastic of the center consol. The rattle was coming from that plastic vibrating against the side of the cup holder, so I slid a piece of cardboard in between the two, replaced the cover, and now it is quite. Thank God (or the infinite universe, depending on beliefs)!

Rattle #2: Came from driver's side A pillar. I thought it might be trim, or a loose front speaker up under the windshield. I put a gentle downward pressure on the speaker grill and that would silence it. I then put a toothpick between the A pillar and the side of the dash. That worked, so I trimmed the toothpick and colored it with a black Sharpie so it wouldn't show. Rattle silenced!

Hope this helps fellow rattle haters.

RM
Old 01-31-15, 05:22 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by rockyman
i have a 2013 gs 350 f sport with about 36k miles. Love the car but hate the rattles. I finally tracked them down on my own after two trips to the dealer. Maybe this will help someone.

Rattle #1: Came from cup holder area, on passenger side. I first thought it was coming from air vent area, but after careful listening and tapping around to reproduce sound, i found it was coming from right side of cupholder. My fix: The panel covering the sides of the center console come off with a firm upward pressure. Underneath is the plastic of the center consol. The rattle was coming from that plastic vibrating against the side of the cup holder, so i slid a piece of cardboard in between the two, replaced the cover, and now it is quite. Thank god (or the infinite universe, depending on beliefs)!

Rattle #2: Came from driver's side a pillar. I thought it might be trim, or a loose front speaker up under the windshield. I put a gentle downward pressure on the speaker grill and that would silence it. I then put a toothpick between the a pillar and the side of the dash. That worked, so i trimmed the toothpick and colored it with a black sharpie so it wouldn't show. Rattle silenced!

Hope this helps fellow rattle haters.

Rm (a.k.a. Rattleman)

Old 01-31-15, 05:33 PM
PirelliRC
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
I absolutely love the car, but man are there rattles.

took the 405S in los angeles today, ya its bumpy and a lot of construction going on but the car was so noisy inside.

1) all of my doors, when you firmly press the top horizontal strip right under the window, you hear the adhesive make a noise, and everything i go over bumps i hear it.
2)the center of dash right above navi, same thing, pretty it firmly and you hear the adhesive.
3) i THINK the seat belts were rattling too.
4) i have ML audio, and the music i was listening to today were making the window and door lock switches rattle as well.

i know there is a TSB to 'fix' the doors for ML rattles, but what about the adhesive noise..i don't think it's anything they can fix, and even if they were to replace the doors, i bet it would come back again.

i've read a lot of rattle complaints about this car in this forum, kind of sucks about the rattles, i don't expect a perfectly quiet car, but i didn't expect these rattles either.

/end rant
do you have the F Sport ? it seems a handful of people with the F Sport are complaining about rattles and vibrations, i wonder if its from the 19 inch wheels, given that it has less cushion than the 18s. You can hear a pin drop in my GS, not one single rattle or anything of the sort, solid as a rock. And a few of the guys here that said there car is solid seem to have the 18 or 17 inch wheels. I wonder if that has anything to do with it, because i bought 19s at one time for my GS and it was very rough and vibrations everywhere, since i put the 18s back, not one single sound anywhere. Sometimes i feel like i can fall asleep its so quiet in the cabin. Im just wondering if that can be one of the culprits. I hate to see you guys having such annoying issues.
Old 01-31-15, 06:21 PM
MEAHT
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Are these rattling issues mostly with 13 and 14 models? I have 2015, only a thousand miles so im not experiencing any rattles but a ton of issues I see on the boards seem to be coming from earlier models. Before I bought the 15 I saw that Lexus had fixed a ton of issues, including cup holder rattles and squeaking e-brake...
Old 01-31-15, 07:02 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I have a 2013 and it's as tight as you could ever want with no rattles and zero issues.
Old 02-01-15, 09:06 AM
rockyman
Rookie

I do have a F Sport with 19" wheels...Michelin tires.
Old 02-01-15, 09:19 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your rattles may be coming for the loose nut on the steering wheel.
Old 02-03-15, 01:58 PM
wsykes
Rookie

2013 with no folding mirrors and no rattles
Old 02-21-20, 04:47 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

2013 GS450h HUGE rattle/clunk behind the center console 110k on the clock.

Quick Reply: Rattles, rattles, and more rattles.