GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bike rack options discussion (merged megathread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-13, 08:43 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the not-so-hot gas mileage I'm getting, I'm thinking of just riding my bike everywhere.

Seriously, I haven't heard of a decent rack for the GS yet, but I'm pretty sure they are out there.

Here's one...

http://www.etrailer.com/Trunk-Bike-R...id=20131239815
Old 04-02-13, 10:03 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Igor911
Hi All,

Being that biking season is almost here...what's everyone doing in terms of transporting their bike(s)?
I would avoid anything held on with straps and pads on the trunk; it will destroy your paint job. You can now get a trailer hitch for the GS350 and put a bike rack on that. Lexus recommends against that, but, I cannot imagine why it should be any issue. My solution for carrying my bike was a little different. I just kept my 1994 SC400 with its hitch mounted rack:

Old 04-02-13, 01:09 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECL
I would avoid anything held on with straps and pads on the trunk; it will destroy your paint job. You can now get a trailer hitch for the GS350 and put a bike rack on that. Lexus recommends against that, but, I cannot imagine why it should be any issue. My solution for carrying my bike was a little different. I just kept my 1994 SC400 with its hitch mounted rack:
So far there are no hitches for the 2013 GS 350's. I've been looking.

Curt Mfg says they have one, I have that one from my previous GS It doesnt fit, I have called them on that three times!!!
Old 04-02-13, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I rode a bike once. Its was a lot of work
Old 04-02-13, 02:18 PM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill_GS3
So far there are no hitches for the 2013 GS 350's. I've been looking.

Curt Mfg says they have one, I have that one from my previous GS It doesnt fit, I have called them on that three times!!!
U-Haul has one on their web site.
Old 04-03-13, 06:18 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ECL
U-Haul has one on their web site.
I got excited till I looked at the intructions, It's the same as the Curt hitch and will only fit up to 2011...
Old 04-03-13, 02:22 PM
DrKeith
Driver

I have lined my trunk with an old bedsheet to protect from mud/grease. Removed the front quick release wheel and then it fits in the trunk nicely.

I don't trust racks that put pressure on the trunk--had some small dents on my Infiniti after using that type.
Old 04-03-13, 05:09 PM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by DrKeith
I have lined my trunk with an old bedsheet to protect from mud/grease. Removed the front quick release wheel and then it fits in the trunk nicely.

I don't trust racks that put pressure on the trunk--had some small dents on my Infiniti after using that type.
Before I purchased my GS, I tried to put my bike, minus the front wheel, into the trunk. It did not fit. I am sure it would if I removed both wheels, but frankly, that is a PIA.

To change the topic a bit, I would be surprised if U-Haul would advertise a hitch for the 2013 GS if they did not have it. For over six months, they offered to custom fabricate a hitch for the new GS (free!) if you left the car with them for two or three days. Now they say they have it in stock.
Old 04-03-13, 07:45 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Lexus dealers in europe sell trailer hitch bike racks for the gs350. They even have tail lights on the rack.
Old 04-03-13, 08:44 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/gs/gs...x.tmex#/FSport

if this link works, it will take you to the EU bike rack. scroll down. threre's a button to see more accessories. if they work for european 350's then there must be some for american 350's.
Old 04-04-13, 06:57 AM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by larryinWA
http://www.lexus.eu/car-models/gs/gs...x.tmex#/FSport

if this link works, it will take you to the EU bike rack. scroll down. threre's a button to see more accessories. if they work for european 350's then there must be some for american 350's.
Interesting. Here is a quote from the GS owners manual:

Trailer towing

Lexus does not recommend towing a trailer with your vehicle. Lexus also does not recommend the installation of a tow hitch or the use of a tow hitch carrier for a wheelchair, scooter, bicycle, etc. Your vehicle is not designed for trailer towing or for the use of tow hitch mounted car- riers.
Old 04-04-13, 10:21 AM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Probably because of governmental regulations in the usa that Lexus does not want to comply with, because of the cost involved. European regulations are probably less costly ... and more people ride bikes there.
Old 04-05-13, 09:35 AM
organa7
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in a Acura Tl right now but looking to move to a GS soon. When it is just my one bike, I actually prefer to put it in the trunk. Just remove both wheels which takes all of 1 minute. To me it is more secure this way. Don't have to worry about it being stolen or damaged by somebody, and can leave it in the car so I can ride during lunch.
I was looking for one for when i take long trips with multiple bikes.
The one I like is:
http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/v...&category_id=7
Has only 2 straps and the wrack it self can not be removed from the car with out a key. Would be better if it also included a lock cable built into the rack, but will just have to get one separately.
Old 04-05-13, 12:31 PM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by organa7
I am in a Acura Tl right now but looking to move to a GS soon. When it is just my one bike, I actually prefer to put it in the trunk. Just remove both wheels which takes all of 1 minute. To me it is more secure this way. Don't have to worry about it being stolen or damaged by somebody, and can leave it in the car so I can ride during lunch.
I was looking for one for when i take long trips with multiple bikes.
The one I like is:
http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/v...&category_id=7
Has only 2 straps and the wrack it self can not be removed from the car with out a key. Would be better if it also included a lock cable built into the rack, but will just have to get one separately.
I had a Saris rack on my SC400, and it left some nasty marks on the finish. That is why I switched to a hitch mounted rack.
Old 04-06-13, 01:37 AM
rockyman
Rookie

I have a roadbike and just take off the front wheel and it fits in the trunk fine

Quick Reply: Bike rack options discussion (merged megathread)