GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus Enform App Problem - IPhone 5

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-13, 05:01 PM
teuhl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Enform App Problem - IPhone 5

I took delivery on Saturday on a 2013 GS350 F Sport and had a problem connecting my IPhone 5 to the Enform app. I contacted Lexus and they were very helpful in resolving this problem. This may help others that are experiencing the same.

1. A Lexus Driver account must be established on the Internet and from that site the Lexus Enform account. I had both of these accounts established prior to experiencing the connection problem in the car. They did mention that the link between the accounts had a problem that they inturn resolved.
2. The Lexus Enform App must be downloaded to the IPhone 5 without being connected to WiFi. I initially downloaded while connected to my home WiFi. This I believe was the cause of the problem. After downloading, turn phone off and restart. I did a reboot on the IPhone rather than just turning back on.
3. Sign on to the Lexus Enform IPhone App and click the App feature on the car menu. A connection was made at this time. An update took place at the time of connecting.

Now all features on the cars display are working properly. So far I am very happy with my new investment and the Lexus assistance in resolving this problem. Hope this helps others that may experience the Enform connection problem.
Old 04-02-13, 12:15 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by teuhl
I took delivery on Saturday on a 2013 GS350 F Sport and had a problem connecting my IPhone 5 to the Enform app. I contacted Lexus and they were very helpful in resolving this problem. This may help others that are experiencing the same.

1. A Lexus Driver account must be established on the Internet and from that site the Lexus Enform account. I had both of these accounts established prior to experiencing the connection problem in the car. They did mention that the link between the accounts had a problem that they inturn resolved.
2. The Lexus Enform App must be downloaded to the IPhone 5 without being connected to WiFi. I initially downloaded while connected to my home WiFi. This I believe was the cause of the problem. After downloading, turn phone off and restart. I did a reboot on the IPhone rather than just turning back on.
3. Sign on to the Lexus Enform IPhone App and click the App feature on the car menu. A connection was made at this time. An update took place at the time of connecting.

Now all features on the cars display are working properly. So far I am very happy with my new investment and the Lexus assistance in resolving this problem. Hope this helps others that may experience the Enform connection problem.
Are you running enform app using BT or hard wired to USB? If you are using BT, do you lose connection when you plug into USB? Or does it switch over seamlessly?
Old 04-02-13, 05:51 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrycs
Are you running enform app using BT or hard wired to USB? If you are using BT, do you lose connection when you plug into USB? Or does it switch over seamlessly?
The system is bluetooth, I dont know of anyway to make the App work through the dock connector.

I have experienced a loss when plugging in and I need to change the phones audio output back to bluetooth.
Old 04-02-13, 06:33 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill_GS3
The system is bluetooth, I dont know of anyway to make the App work through the dock connector.

I have experienced a loss when plugging in and I need to change the phones audio output back to bluetooth.
That's good to know. No one has ever said that. As a matter of fact, I asked my dealer and they all said that it would work through USB yet I've tried two devices and two different cables and both theories didn't work.

Since you couldn't get it to work, its either a car issue or iPhone issue.

Has anyone here ever run enform while connected to USB using an android device with BT shut off?

It would be silly not to be able to charge while playing through Enform apps.

Last edited by terrycs; 04-02-13 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-02-13, 04:51 PM
teuhl
Driver School Candidate

Have not tried using USB yet. My initial goal was to get it to work using Bluetooth.
Old 04-04-13, 04:55 AM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Hmm my wife had issues with getting Enform to work on her phone too. I'll let her try this
Old 05-01-13, 11:23 PM
samfink
Driver School Candidate

I've tried for at least an hour and can't get the apps to work while the iphone is plugged in via usb...I guess the only solution is to connect through bluetooth, and charge from the car DC outlet?
Old 05-01-13, 11:52 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I asked the dealer and they tried using enform through USB on my car and was surprised it didn't work. So we tried on another one in the showroom and it didn't work either. They said it was probably an apple problem. Contacted Lexus, and they said the same thing.
Old 05-02-13, 06:20 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
I asked the dealer and they tried using enform through USB on my car and was surprised it didn't work. So we tried on another one in the showroom and it didn't work either. They said it was probably an apple problem. Contacted Lexus, and they said the same thing.
You can charge through the USB while linked to Enform through Bluetooth. You just have to select the Bluetooth output through the iPhone music app. It keeps the iPhone nicely charged while listening to Pandora on longer trips.
Old 05-02-13, 03:14 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ECL
You can charge through the USB while linked to Enform through Bluetooth. You just have to select the Bluetooth output through the iPhone music app. It keeps the iPhone nicely charged while listening to Pandora on longer trips.
Can you still control all the features of pandora through remote touch?
Old 05-02-13, 04:57 PM
ECL
Instructor

Originally Posted by dchar
Can you still control all the features of pandora through remote touch?
In a word, yes. On a four hour drive today, I had my iPhone plugged into the USB, listened to the Pandora app by Bluetooth, and arrived with the phone 100% charged.

Last edited by ECL; 05-02-13 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 07:21 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by ECL
I didn't see a choice in the Music app. Do you mean in SETTINGS?
Old 05-02-13, 08:17 PM
ECL
Instructor

I didn't see a choice in the Music app. Do you mean in SETTINGS?
There is a small icon at the bottom of the "now playing" page of the music app on the iPhone. It looks like a triangle superimposed an a rectangle; click on it and you have choices of the output going between USB or the car's Bluetooth. Choose the latter, and the audio output of the app is available through the car's audio system. The icon turns orange when set for the Bluetooth.

Last edited by ECL; 06-02-13 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-02-13, 09:08 PM
larryinWA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ECL
There is a small icon at the bottom of the music app page on the iPhone. It looks like a triangle superimposed an a rectangle; click on it and you have choices of the output going between USB or the car's Bluetooth. Choose the latter, and the audio output of the app is available through the car's audio system. The icon turns orange when set for the Bluetooth.
There's no icon like that on my 4S iPhone
Old 05-02-13, 10:33 PM
samfink
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by larryinWA
There's no icon like that on my 4S iPhone
I got it to work as well...here are the exact steps:

1). Turn on Lexus GS
2). Wait 10 seconds for iPhone to connect to Bluetooth
3). Make sure that Lexus Enform iPhone app is enabled
4). Plug in iPhone to USB connector.
5). Press "Music" app on the iPhone
6). Begin to play a song.
7). In the lower right corner of the iPhone screen, you will see a small white box that looks like it has an arrow going through it. Tap the box, and you get two choices appearing on the screen. One says "Dock connector" (I think), the other one says "Car Multimedia". Tap the "Car Multimedia" choice. This apparently forces the iPhone to connect with bluetooth only, leaving the USB port to act simply as a charger. I think after you do this that the small white box that you previously tapped turns orange.
8). Go to the apps screen on the Lexus...you should have no problem playing either Pandora or iHeart Radio....and actually hearing the audio!
9). If you would rather play iPhone music, this is easily accessible from the Bluetooth (BT) option on the Lexus main audio menu, at the top of the screen.

The iPhone software version I am running...on an iPhone 4s is 6.1.3

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited by samfink; 05-07-13 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Clarity

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform App Problem - IPhone 5