Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would expect the Accord to weigh as much as the TL
Old 07-17-13, 12:59 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

TL is about 4K lbs and Accord is roughly 3,500 lbs. Accord is 3.5L V6 pushing 278HP. TL 3.7L V6 pushing 300HP. So they are pretty evenly matched considering weight difference
Old 07-17-13, 01:35 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
The 8 speed is designed for fuel efficiency and as evidenced in many other posts, a stand still shows less down time in shifting, but if you are rolling, you will find yourself in more of a preferred power band with greater frequency.

I'd still take the 8 speed, but this may be as discussed in other threads something that is going to be on the '15 year models with possibly a new motor under the hood.

However, I don't think this will happen until 2016 if I were to guess because the IS and GS generally share motors, so it might be too fast for a new engine. I would love to see a V8 though.
What?? Seriously, what do you mean?

A) I'll trust hard, instrumented numbers over "other posts". The number don't lie. Based on testing done by the same magazine (ie consistent source), the IS is arguable slower to respond than the GS.

B) The IS350 has 1MPG less combined fuel efficiency than the GS350 (use the comparison feature on the EPA site if you don't believe me). Plus, the IS350 is arguably slower in some key metrics. So what is the point of the 8-speed?! Inferior performance and efficiency? Just a meaningless marketing tool?
Old 07-17-13, 03:07 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Amazing that Accord V6s can keep up with both the GS 350 and new IS 350.

We need more power now!!
Old 07-17-13, 04:10 PM
D2121
Driver School Candidate

Any new updates?
Old 07-17-13, 04:34 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Adrian, chill dude. Seriously. Nobody is holding your child ransome.

The 8 speed from a rolling start feels better. I have the 8 speed in a '13 RX f sport. Love it. Also seems to shift smoother.

If less than half a second is the end of the world to you, I suggest a different car.

Lexus makes good vehicles across the board, but like any first year models, there are teething issues. This likely happens to be one for the IS. All be it a minor one
Old 07-17-13, 04:53 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by praetor
I had no idea the Accord V6 was that fast. LOL
you better believe it, the 6 speed manual equipped Accord V6 coupe is even faster than automatic since it uses the TRUE VTec motor instead of the VCM variation in the automatic ones.
Old 07-17-13, 06:44 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

That's quite impressive. Even the 2013 Camry V6s are about that quick as well. May not have the prestige, comfort and styling of the GS, but had the Camry/Accord come with AWD as an option, it might have been a serious contender for me.
Old 07-19-13, 12:16 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

Good to hear about the 4GS. I had a 2IS before getting the 4GS and enjoy the power and handling even more (I know its a completely different class). I will definitely get the F-Sport version in the next round.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
Lexus certainly may put an 8 speed auto into the 4GS next year, however don't hold your breath.

I have test driven the 3IS 3.5 8 speed unit, and expect delivery next week.
I can hardly tell the difference between the old 2IS 3.5 6 speed, and the new 3IS 3.5 8 speed.
In fact, the new bigger and heavier 3IS 3.5 8 speed feels a tad slower both in the straight-line, and around corners.
This may be due to the 3IS's bigger size and heavier weight.

In my opinion, people who own the 4GS with the 6 speed gearbox aren't missing out on much...
Old 07-19-13, 07:13 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Adrian, chill dude. Seriously. Nobody is holding your child ransome.

The 8 speed from a rolling start feels better. I have the 8 speed in a '13 RX f sport. Love it. Also seems to shift smoother.

If less than half a second is the end of the world to you, I suggest a different car.

Lexus makes good vehicles across the board, but like any first year models, there are teething issues. This likely happens to be one for the IS. All be it a minor one
First, don't patronize me. This is a discussion forum. I'm discussing things. I'm providing hard numbers and you're throwing up red herrings. I'm not saying the 8-speed sucks (it is quite good in fact). Just that it has no appreciable advantage over the 6-speed.

Also, your opinion is suspect. None of your facts are valid. The 8-speed in the IS is not the same transmission as used in the RX. At all.

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/product.../at/index.html
Old 07-20-13, 07:10 AM
ARISTOh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^^ Burn lol
Old 07-20-13, 07:51 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
First, don't patronize me. This is a discussion forum. I'm discussing things. I'm providing hard numbers and you're throwing up red herrings. I'm not saying the 8-speed sucks (it is quite good in fact). Just that it has no appreciable advantage over the 6-speed.

Also, your opinion is suspect. None of your facts are valid. The 8-speed in the IS is not the same transmission as used in the RX. At all.

http://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/product.../at/index.html
Re-read your post. You tell me not to patronize you and then follow it up with comments like my opinion is suspect? LOL. Before you "attempt" to practice what you preach, proof read your posts as it makes you look like a bully who thinks they are right above everyone else.

News flash! Your opinion isn't the only one out there.

A couple of side notes for your fact oriented brain.

1. The IS that has the new 8 speed tranny is new and therefor engine break in times have likely not been achieved which WILL influence MPG.

2. You have no baseline on what the driving styles are of these new owners of the IS with this 8 speed tranny.

3. The same things were said about 5 speed and 6 speed trannies when 4 speeds were the norm. Things get perfected over time and it is fact that a car can be kept in a better power band and have more room to run before the next upshift when it's already rolling.

4. The performance difference from a standstill is not a big deal to everyone.

5. Most importantly, everyone on this forum has their own opinion. So trying to put others down by quoting "facts" as you call them is still opinion based because stats can always be wrong, manipulated, or just measured improperly. That doesn't mean all of what you are saying is wrong. Simply that you should know when to be respectful.

The 2014 GS doesn't appear to be seeing any major changes if any for the new model year. I still think it will be 2015 before we see any major changes as this will likely include a new power train with more engine options as well as the potential for a GS F introduction.

I'd love to see Lexus utilize a dual clutch system on the GS.
Old 07-20-13, 07:54 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, this 6 speed tranny in the '13 GS-F shifts so smooth.. what more do you want?
Old 07-20-13, 08:04 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
IMO, this 6 speed tranny in the '13 GS-F shifts so smooth.. what more do you want?
I agree, it does shift smooth. The current GS has many positives and for that reason I bought a '13. German cars are better in some road mannerisms and powertrain aspects, but that gap isn't close to what it used to be and Lexus has shown great strides.

But I've also owned a couple of german cars with a dual clutch transmission. The difference is noticeable in my own experience. There will always be new improvements and changes made to newer cars as auto manufacturers have to find things to improve upon.

Kind of like how the old GS used to have the power folding side mirrors or inclusion of a power trunk. They are small features, but nice to have none the less.

One thing my car has in the dynamic rear steering is certainly commendable in the handling the car has. It loves to weave and no german car I've had before has been able to top that. Plus, I love the styling of the GS F sport. They did an awesome job across the board there.
Old 07-20-13, 08:55 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree, it does shift smooth. The current GS has many positives and for that reason I bought a '13. German cars are better in some road mannerisms and powertrain aspects, but that gap isn't close to what it used to be and Lexus has shown great strides.

But I've also owned a couple of german cars with a dual clutch transmission. The difference is noticeable in my own experience. There will always be new improvements and changes made to newer cars as auto manufacturers have to find things to improve upon.

Kind of like how the old GS used to have the power folding side mirrors or inclusion of a power trunk. They are small features, but nice to have none the less.

One thing my car has in the dynamic rear steering is certainly commendable in the handling the car has. It loves to weave and no german car I've had before has been able to top that. Plus, I love the styling of the GS F sport. They did an awesome job across the board there.

I am with you on that last paragraph. I love how my GS F-sport hugs the road very tightly and weaves between lanes and curves that is unmatched by my previous 2011 BMW 5 series. The BMW felt porky and sluggish through the turns and the turbo lag was annoying. The GS shifts very smoothly and instantly. I do wish we could have 1-2 more gears but overall I am not going to complain, its the best Lexus sedan ever!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any new news on 2014 GS models?