GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Paint Protection Film Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 09:34 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jj14
From what I've been told, polishing may really not be necessary (or recommended) because it is plastic after all. Polishing it likely going to damage it. But washing/claying/waxing etc - yes. Do it all over the car (including on the PPF) to make the car's appearance consistent.
My installer gave me a bottle of "conditioner" for the PPF. It didn't come with instructions, but he said I can apply it every once in a while with a damp MF cloth.
Old 05-13-13, 09:37 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lexlugga
My car is the same as yours from the color of it to the clear bra, however mind only goes half of the hood,. I live in northern Cali, your installer did a beautiful job, I want to do the whole hood, u got mine installed by the dealer lexus of concord, they did a terrible job, had to have the hood piece redone. Just curious where your installer shop is located.
My installer is mobile and services most of Southern California.
Old 05-13-13, 09:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
I called a local installer to inquire as to the price to have Xpel Ultimate installed on my vehicle. I was quoted $860 for the normal "bra" and $1,600 for the entire front end including the hood and fenders. For that price, you're very close to get a full repaint of the affected areas. I didn't feel the price justified the level of protection.
I had the same debate with myself, and this is why I went with the PPF vs the "have the front end repainted" option:

1. I wanted the car to look great all the time. When waiting for a few years to repaint the hood, bumper & fenders I will have to put up with an increasing number of chips until it got to the point where I could justify a repaint. The whole point is that I don't want to deal with chips. Then once its repainted...it will start chipping again.

2. You will have repainted areas instead of factory paint, which means you have to stress through color matching, peel matching, quality, etc.

I'd much rather just spend the money now and get the peace of mind of knowing the factory paint on the front is protected, and that for the most part I won't have to deal with chipping, which I hate.

To me that argument is kind of like not using sunblock because the cost of the aloe vera to sooth the sunburn is the same. The whole point is to avoid the pain of the sunburn in the first place...not to save money.
Old 05-13-13, 09:59 AM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by puckhead85
Looks good! What made your get the Venture Shield over others? Are you concerned about yellowing? I'm thinking of doing the same on mine.
Could you see yellowing on a black car?
Old 05-13-13, 10:05 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by ECL
Could you see yellowing on a black car?
Harder to see yellowing on a black car. Easier to notice on a white car. But I haven't seen any complaints of yellowing lately.
Old 05-13-13, 10:56 AM
baumusc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a black car this is a must since even the smallest blemish will show up. I had a black SC 430 and after two years of driving chips were very noticeable. My dad has a silver SC 430 two years older than mine and the paint actually seems to have held up a lot better. Not sure if it is the quality of the Lexus black paint as it does seem to chip easier or if it is just that it is more noticeable with black paint. Maybe a combination of both? I am debating on whether to do this or not on my new Nebula GS.
Old 05-13-13, 03:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Might not see yellowing on a black car, but you would see clouding...
Old 05-13-13, 04:26 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Might not see yellowing on a black car, but you would see clouding...
I know of a few other black cars that have over 7 years on them with no clouding issues. The only time I saw clouding was right after the install until the trapped water has evaporated out.

Everyone that has seen my car was surprised to know it even had PPF on it. The PPF material I had installed makes the factory one on the rear bumper look like junk.
Old 05-13-13, 04:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Same way with mine...no clouding and I'm not worried about yellowing or clouding.
Old 05-13-13, 06:51 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW13GS
I had the same debate with myself, and this is why I went with the PPF vs the "have the front end repainted" option:

1. I wanted the car to look great all the time. When waiting for a few years to repaint the hood, bumper & fenders I will have to put up with an increasing number of chips until it got to the point where I could justify a repaint. The whole point is that I don't want to deal with chips. Then once its repainted...it will start chipping again.

2. You will have repainted areas instead of factory paint, which means you have to stress through color matching, peel matching, quality, etc.

I'd much rather just spend the money now and get the peace of mind of knowing the factory paint on the front is protected, and that for the most part I won't have to deal with chipping, which I hate.

To me that argument is kind of like not using sunblock because the cost of the aloe vera to sooth the sunburn is the same. The whole point is to avoid the pain of the sunburn in the first place...not to save money.
I'm already on my second bumper. Its paint is holding up better than the factory paint ever did. Maybe if I had the film installed immediately after taking delivery it would have made more sense. It still would have been no use when someone backed in to my front end, however.
Old 05-14-13, 11:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Well yeah, installing the PPF after chips are already there doesn't make as much sense.

All I know is I hesitated getting it for two other cars, and did it this time and I will get it every time.
Old 07-17-13, 04:08 PM
Ashura
Driver School Candidate

terrycs,
Thanks for sharing. Could you give me info on the guy that installed your PPF? Looking to have the same done to my new ISC.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-13, 09:04 PM
ISThree
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ashura
terrycs,
Thanks for sharing. Could you give me info on the guy that installed your PPF? Looking to have the same done to my new ISC.

Thanks.
i might be wrong but i think that is the same installer i used for many years.
Bhane from Doza Designs #310-613-3978
Old 07-17-13, 09:31 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISThree
i might be wrong but i think that is the same installer i used for many years.
Bhane from Doza Designs #310-613-3978
You are correct. He's done my cars since 2006.
Old 07-17-13, 10:17 PM
D2121
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff! Im looking to get mine done next month.this thread helped a lot

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film Installation