GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New Baby!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-13, 01:53 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Baby!

I've been lurking this thread since the 4GS was announced last year...Picked up some excellent info!

Purchased my obsidian on black GS last Saturday - Luxury pkg, Nav, ML, HUD, spoiler, park assist, BSM, lighted door sills. Traded my 2007 G35 coupe. The dealer did not have one on the lot that had the color combination and options I wanted, but was able to locate one out of state and had it shipped in. My whole experience with the dealer was very pleasant (well, as pleasant as these things can be).

Tint is coming, probably next week. Had 15 miles on her when we picked her up...Now has a little over 200. I telecommute, so I don't put a lot of miles on my cars (the G had a little more than 38000 on the clock when I traded).

I've spent the last week reading manuals and setting options in the car...I haven't studied this hard since college, and that was more years ago than I care to remember!

I had almost decided against black this time - my previous two cars were black, and the effort required to maintain the color and finish is ridiculous. But nothing can beat how good they look for the 10 minutes right after cleaning and polishing!

Here are a few iPhone pics - I will post up more once the tint is on.
Attached Thumbnails New Baby!-005_001.jpg   New Baby!-006_002.jpg   New Baby!-010_005.jpg  
Old 03-15-13, 02:24 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats, let the mods begin, and yes it looks very good the first 10 min. after a nice bath.
Old 03-15-13, 02:36 PM
Mojo122
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice first post. Congratulations. I have a Obsidian/Black F-Sport and don't mind the extra work needed to make it dazzle.
Old 03-15-13, 02:41 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

congratz on the new baby... this is your third black car? you are a glutton for punishment. lol i have an Obsidian GS F Sport... it is and will be my first and last black car. as you have stated, it's amazing when you bathe her and put lotion on her so she doesn't get ashy. if the paint were a little more forgiving and not so damn soft i wouldn't have a problem with it. congratz again... enjoy. it's actually a great car.
Old 03-15-13, 02:52 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Your car looks hot. Yep, nothing is better than a clean back GS. Congrats and welcome to CL and Obsidian club.
Old 03-15-13, 03:02 PM
LexFather

Welcome to the GS club!
Old 03-15-13, 04:13 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!

I am very happy with the car...Like I said, I find new things to play with every day!

Sydtoosic, I guess I am a glutton for punishment...But to be honest, the pics of your car in the Hardbody thread were influential in my decision. I just couldn't see Nebula Gray looking that glossy and sexy! (Nebula Gray was the color I was leaning toward)

bnlexus, your car looks amazing as well!

I've been a Zaino afficionado for many years, but seeing the results you all got from the Wolf's Hardbody has me re-thinking my position. How is it holding up after a few months? I know some have switched to the 22ple - How satisfied are you with that sealant?
Old 03-15-13, 04:42 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by harleymark
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome!

I am very happy with the car...Like I said, I find new things to play with every day!

Sydtoosic, I guess I am a glutton for punishment...But to be honest, the pics of your car in the Hardbody thread were influential in my decision. I just couldn't see Nebula Gray looking that glossy and sexy! (Nebula Gray was the color I was leaning toward)

bnlexus, your car looks amazing as well!

I've been a Zaino afficionado for many years, but seeing the results you all got from the Wolf's Hardbody has me re-thinking my position. How is it holding up after a few months? I know some have switched to the 22ple - How satisfied are you with that sealant?
oooohhhhhh, so you saw my car? you're a sneaky devil . i needed a strong coating to protect this softer than soft paint. i too, was a Zaino fanatic. that was years ago. i would use it (because i still have a box of Zaino products) on a car with harder paint. this obsidian is amazing but a ***** to keep scratch and swirl free.
Old 03-15-13, 05:34 PM
SimonGS
Driver

Car looks great... Enjoy it
Old 03-15-13, 06:26 PM
mush
Pole Position

looking good!
Old 03-15-13, 06:27 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
oooohhhhhh, so you saw my car? you're a sneaky devil . i needed a strong coating to protect this softer than soft paint. i too, was a Zaino fanatic. that was years ago. i would use it (because i still have a box of Zaino products) on a car with harder paint. this obsidian is amazing but a ***** to keep scratch and swirl free.
I hear you...The paint on the Infiniti was very soft as well. It seemed like it you looked at it sharply, it would scratch.

Invested in a PC7424, pads, and Menzerma polishes. I did a full strip, polish, and re-application of Zaino once a year, and tried to avoid causing swirls in between. I did the two-bucket wash technique, microfiber towels...Even have a device called a "cycle dry" (originally intended to dry motorcyles using forced clean air) to blow dry the car to prevent spotting. And still the darn little fine swirlies would grow over time!

Like you said, it's a full-time occupation, but the results make you (temporarily) forget the pain!

(Until you drive it again and pick up road dirt)
Old 03-15-13, 06:31 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SimonGS
Car looks great... Enjoy it
Thank you! Loving it so far...A great combination of luxury and sportiness (to me, at least)...Haven't really challenged the handling yet. Kind of getting used to her before I get too crazy!
Old 03-15-13, 06:32 PM
harleymark
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mush
looking good!
Thank you!

How do you like the Gray/Black combination? That was the other color combo I was considering.
Old 03-15-13, 08:07 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Congratulations on a great choice! We owned a G37 Coupe before our G37 Vert, and I'm sure you feel like you've moved 10 steps up the automotive ladder in luxury and quality (without sacrificing the fun factor).
Old 03-15-13, 08:19 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by harleymark
I hear you...The paint on the Infiniti was very soft as well. It seemed like it you looked at it sharply, it would scratch.

Invested in a PC7424, pads, and Menzerma polishes. I did a full strip, polish, and re-application of Zaino once a year, and tried to avoid causing swirls in between. I did the two-bucket wash technique, microfiber towels...Even have a device called a "cycle dry" (originally intended to dry motorcyles using forced clean air) to blow dry the car to prevent spotting. And still the darn little fine swirlies would grow over time!

Like you said, it's a full-time occupation, but the results make you (temporarily) forget the pain!

(Until you drive it again and pick up road dirt)
i'm assuming you mixed up a batch of ZFX and applied some Z-2 or Z-5 with Z-6 or Z-8 in between each coat. MHO is that every Obsidian should be opti-coated... i mean the whole syringe. the scratches on this paint are relentless and never ending. i've been through it..

Quick Reply: New Baby!