GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

F-Sport Conversion to 450h?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-13, 05:23 PM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy life man. If you can get it, then get it! I'd be concerned about insurance more than anything else. You're probably looking upwards of $2k a year for insurance alone and that's with discounts!

To answer your question though, If i were you I'd do the F-sport. For the exterior and interior. You can do more things with it mod wise as well. If you want to save gas, buy a Prius C on the side! That's something you can work for. Good luck kid!
Old 03-11-13, 07:44 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MjThind
Thanks man it's nice to to have some one not bashing me and I wasn't intending to offend you, probably not a downgrade to a Limited 4Runner but it will be going to a 4 or 6 banger SR5 but what did 4Runnner did you have?
I had a '94 4Runner V6 limited. Also a hand-me-down from my mom, so I think we're kind of in a similar situation. And I wasn't offended, just bugging you. I happen to have a thing for the 4Runner, hence my joke about being offended.

I think most people here are supportive and are looking out for you. Kudos to listening to everyone's comments and responding politely.
Old 03-11-13, 09:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Exactly, I know at least my goal is not to bash you, it has nothing to do with you. My issues are with the way a generation of younger people have been raised, and what that means for the future. You are obviously a well spoken young guy, and you've handled yourself very well here when a lot of people would have erupted at the personal commentary and criticism you've gotten here. Theres some cultural stuff at work here as well, and I would venture to say thats a big part of it.

These are my thoughts on the matter, and please understand that I'm not talking about you, but about why us older folks (man...when did I become that?) reacted in this way.

My issue is that people of your generation (and my generation as well) have been raised in such a way that they feel entitled to a certain type of lifestyle that has been provided to them by their parents that they cannot produce for themselves. We have a crisis in this country where people live outside their means, run up debt, materialism rules, and this is why. Its only going to get worse too.

I think that young people need to work, they need to be taught the most important thing you can have is a good work ethic. Quite frankly...work ethic is on a big decline. When a kid graduates high school and is given a $65,000 car, something that one used to treat themselves to after decades of hard work and achievement, I think the person is robbed of the opportunity to achieve that for themselves. I think its an example of parents using their children as a way of further broadcasting their own material success, instead of investing in giving their children the tools they need so they can go out, become successful and buy their own cars and homes and boats and do the same again for their kids.

When I was a kid I didn't get it either...but I do now.

The reason to work hard and to achieve in school should not be because someone will give you a car. JMHO.
Old 03-11-13, 09:58 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

IOW...

(nice post, Steve)
Old 03-12-13, 09:30 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Thanks Joe, do you know where to get the fog lights?

Yeah probably around 1100 I'm guessing...
Well the Good news is that you will have everything you need on your GS450 h, to transfer the Fog Lamp Housings over to the new bumper.

The only thing you would need from Japan, would be the JDM Fog Bezel covers for the F-Sport bumper...

~ Joe Z
Attached Thumbnails F-Sport Conversion to 450h?-jdm-bezel-covers1.jpg  
Old 03-12-13, 12:47 PM
LexFather

Hey O.P. I'm not one to give investment advice in a car thread b/c everyone on the internet is Gordan Gekko. You asked about a car, I'll explain a car Not to say we don't have some Gordan Gekko's here but its easy to say "hey young man save/invest" when its clear if your pops is going to buy one, then money isn't really an issue (I am assuming).

Or maybe I was in your boat, since I had a GS 400 at 22....

The much easier route is GS 450h to F-sport. There is a GS 450h F-sport offered overseas and as far as I know its cosmetics and you would be missing the larger F-sport front brake and wheels. Since you wisely want Vossen's thats not a problem.

Front bumper is around $700, other parts another $200 or so so maybe $1000 after install. As Joe-Z said you already have fogs which is great.

If you are driving 50 miles a day, 31 MPG is a big help over 23 MPG.

Good luck, quite a few GS premium/luxury owners added the F-sport bumper but I don't think anyone has done it to the 450h here yet.

Steve we usually agree on things but I don't here. I "unwisely" I guess bought an ES 300 at 18....I remember coming home.....dad initially was like "seriously wtf"....later on he looked at me and said "well since you are driving this at 18, I am confident you will bust your *** to keep driving something like this the rest of your lfie"....

He was right A GS to some kids realms is "nothing" when their world is filled with Maser's, Ferrari's, etc. Its weird but a GS might be a "regular car" and they work hard to get that Lambo
Old 03-12-13, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Steve we usually agree on things but I don't here. I "unwisely" I guess bought an ES 300 at 18....I remember coming home.....dad initially was like "seriously wtf"....later on he looked at me and said "well since you are driving this at 18, I am confident you will bust your *** to keep driving something like this the rest of your lfie"....
Thats the key *YOU* bought it...

I bought an ES when I was 22...but I had a successful business and I bought it...
Old 03-12-13, 05:43 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hypnotika
Enjoy life man. If you can get it, then get it! I'd be concerned about insurance more than anything else. You're probably looking upwards of $2k a year for insurance alone and that's with discounts!

To answer your question though, If i were you I'd do the F-sport. For the exterior and interior. You can do more things with it mod wise as well. If you want to save gas, buy a Prius C on the side! That's something you can work for. Good luck kid!
Thats what I'm trying to do enjoy life. Your right I probably right on the insurance. My parents pay 3200 for my insurance a year. +I would rather just keep one car for now...

Originally Posted by mehran888
I had a '94 4Runner V6 limited. Also a hand-me-down from my mom, so I think we're kind of in a similar situation. And I wasn't offended, just bugging you. I happen to have a thing for the 4Runner, hence my joke about being offended.

I think most people here are supportive and are looking out for you. Kudos to listening to everyone's comments and responding politely.
Cool! I actually thought I offended you We are in a similar situation... I guess my parents raised me to be a calm chill kind of dude, it really takes a lot to push my buttons and I'm glad no one has here...

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Exactly, I know at least my goal is not to bash you, it has nothing to do with you. My issues are with the way a generation of younger people have been raised, and what that means for the future. You are obviously a well spoken young guy, and you've handled yourself very well here when a lot of people would have erupted at the personal commentary and criticism you've gotten here. Theres some cultural stuff at work here as well, and I would venture to say thats a big part of it.

These are my thoughts on the matter, and please understand that I'm not talking about you, but about why us older folks (man...when did I become that?) reacted in this way.

My issue is that people of your generation (and my generation as well) have been raised in such a way that they feel entitled to a certain type of lifestyle that has been provided to them by their parents that they cannot produce for themselves. We have a crisis in this country where people live outside their means, run up debt, materialism rules, and this is why. Its only going to get worse too.

I think that young people need to work, they need to be taught the most important thing you can have is a good work ethic. Quite frankly...work ethic is on a big decline. When a kid graduates high school and is given a $65,000 car, something that one used to treat themselves to after decades of hard work and achievement, I think the person is robbed of the opportunity to achieve that for themselves. I think its an example of parents using their children as a way of further broadcasting their own material success, instead of investing in giving their children the tools they need so they can go out, become successful and buy their own cars and homes and boats and do the same again for their kids.

When I was a kid I didn't get it either...but I do now.

The reason to work hard and to achieve in school should not be because someone will give you a car. JMHO.
I totally understand where you are coming form SW. As easy going as my dad is he made me realize very early on that I have to earn the things he gives me and if I don't academically achieve what he expects of me, he will he take what he has gave me. A very good example is when I was given the RX, it wasn't really given to me; when my parents handed me the keys they told me if my GPA goes below 3.86 they will take it away and I will lose my privilege to drive. I was in no way just given my RX, I just refer to it as a hand down. My dad always told and still does that I should not take anything I have for granted and I'm not "entitled" to live the way I am, I had to earn just like he did just eared in a different way. Trust me I understand the fruits of hard work, I'm rolling around in my dads right now, when my dad first came to America in '85 he worked 90-108 hours a week for three years just so he get a liquor store and then he saved even more bought a couple more convenient stores, and now established a trucking company. His stories have very much motivated to become successful in life. I may have not put in the physical you or my dad have to start or buy a business, but I did put an overwhelming amount of academic work for the things that I have... Just to let you know I have no grudge against you and 100% understand what angle your coming from just defending my point...

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Well the Good news is that you will have everything you need on your GS450 h, to transfer the Fog Lamp Housings over to the new bumper.

The only thing you would need from Japan, would be the JDM Fog Bezel covers for the F-Sport bumper...

~ Joe Z
Silly me I didn't even realize that it already have fog lamps...

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Hey O.P. I'm not one to give investment advice in a car thread b/c everyone on the internet is Gordan Gekko. You asked about a car, I'll explain a car Not to say we don't have some Gordan Gekko's here but its easy to say "hey young man save/invest" when its clear if your pops is going to buy one, then money isn't really an issue (I am assuming).

Or maybe I was in your boat, since I had a GS 400 at 22....

The much easier route is GS 450h to F-sport. There is a GS 450h F-sport offered overseas and as far as I know its cosmetics and you would be missing the larger F-sport front brake and wheels. Since you wisely want Vossen's thats not a problem.

Front bumper is around $700, other parts another $200 or so so maybe $1000 after install. As Joe-Z said you already have fogs which is great.

If you are driving 50 miles a day, 31 MPG is a big help over 23 MPG.

Good luck, quite a few GS premium/luxury owners added the F-sport bumper but I don't think anyone has done it to the 450h here yet.

He was right A GS to some kids realms is "nothing" when their world is filled with Maser's, Ferrari's, etc. Its weird but a GS might be a "regular car" and they work hard to get that Lambo
You are pretty mush spot on the 450h stuff. Thanks!
As for maintaing a standard, thats something I realized without my dad telling me. There are certain things you get used to when you God has gifted with such a great life. The biggest problem I see is, most kids from well off family's never have to earn anything, the just get it, which causes the to do poor academically which usually leads to one not being able to maintain the standard they once lived in. Now I am not saying you have to do good in school to be well off, heck my dad dropped out of school in 8th grade and farmed in India for 6 years and then came to the US did what he did and is now enjoying the finer things in life. The funny thing is if you were to meet him today you wouldn't be able to tell he is basically "illiterate" by his mannerisms or the way he speaks english no accent or anything. He was self taught, he learned by experimenting and experiences rather than books. English was the only he learned form a teacher and he showed a video o f him form the '86 and he was pretty rusty. I know pretty much know if I want to have the things I have now and more I will have to work hard and maintain my standard and thrive to to go higher. I am not immature as a lot the guys think. I was put in a position in my 6th grade where I had to no other option but be strong and mature.My dad was shot at and I had to stay strong to keep my mom out of depression. Till this day whatever I do is to make my parents proud of me and make them happy...

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Thats the key *YOU* bought it...

I bought an ES when I was 22...but I had a successful business and I bought it...
Your right SW, you bought yours and Blue bought his. But I also earned mine but in a different way than you guys did...
Old 03-12-13, 07:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You sound like you have your head on straight, but I'm just not gonna come around on the whole material reward for success in school thing. Not that it should matter to you whether I come around or not
Old 03-12-13, 07:36 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thats what I'm trying to do enjoy life. Your right I probably right on the insurance. My parents pay 3200 for my insurance a year. +I would rather just keep one car for now...

Cool! I actually thought I offended you We are in a similar situation... I guess my parents raised me to be a calm chill kind of dude, it really takes a lot to push my buttons and I'm glad no one has here...

I totally understand where you are coming form SW. As easy going as my dad is he made me realize very early on that I have to earn the things he gives me and if I don't academically achieve what he expects of me, he will he take what he has gave me. A very good example is when I was given the RX, it wasn't really given to me; when my parents handed me the keys they told me if my GPA goes below 3.86 they will take it away and I will lose my privilege to drive. I was in no way just given my RX, I just refer to it as a hand down. My dad always told and still does that I should not take anything I have for granted and I'm not "entitled" to live the way I am, I had to earn just like he did just eared in a different way. Trust me I understand the fruits of hard work, I'm rolling around in my dads right now, when my dad first came to America in '85 he worked 90-108 hours a week for three years just so he get a liquor store and then he saved even more bought a couple more convenient stores, and now established a trucking company. His stories have very much motivated to become successful in life. I may have not put in the physical you or my dad have to start or buy a business, but I did put an overwhelming amount of academic work for the things that I have... Just to let you know I have no grudge against you and 100% understand what angle your coming from just defending my point...

Silly me I didn't even realize that it already have fog lamps...

You are pretty mush spot on the 450h stuff. Thanks!
As for maintaing a standard, thats something I realized without my dad telling me. There are certain things you get used to when you God has gifted with such a great life. The biggest problem I see is, most kids from well off family's never have to earn anything, the just get it, which causes the to do poor academically which usually leads to one not being able to maintain the standard they once lived in. Now I am not saying you have to do good in school to be well off, heck my dad dropped out of school in 8th grade and farmed in India for 6 years and then came to the US did what he did and is now enjoying the finer things in life. The funny thing is if you were to meet him today you wouldn't be able to tell he is basically "illiterate" by his mannerisms or the way he speaks english no accent or anything. He was self taught, he learned by experimenting and experiences rather than books. English was the only he learned form a teacher and he showed a video o f him form the '86 and he was pretty rusty. I know pretty much know if I want to have the things I have now and more I will have to work hard and maintain my standard and thrive to to go higher. I am not immature as a lot the guys think. I was put in a position in my 6th grade where I had to no other option but be strong and mature.My dad was shot at and I had to stay strong to keep my mom out of depression. Till this day whatever I do is to make my parents proud of me and make them happy...

Your right SW, you bought yours and Blue bought his. But I also earned mine but in a different way than you guys did...
i commend you for explaining your situation, because you didn't have to, and for being cool as a cucumber... i would have lost it on the first page. but as i get older i realize that my wife and 3 kids are more important and that it's not about me anymore so i keep my temper in check most of the time. you seem as though you have your head on straight and you understand ethics and morals etc. you know the importance of hard work and your father is a hustler (in a positive sense) so i know you've learned alot from him... go get your car young man and enjoy it. you have a big family at CL, so you already know what it is.
Old 03-12-13, 08:05 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Listen to these guys advice but don't at the same time. There has been a lot of good advice given on this subject that would be beneficial in your life. But if you have this chance to have the baddest car in town at such a young age then do it. You have "earned" it through hard work in school. You are being rewarded for it and you should take it. You sound like a good guy who is going to have a successful career like your parents. Get the 450h and do the simple f sport conversions and post some pics up here ASAP so we can see that masterpiece.
Old 03-12-13, 09:12 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Trust me I understand the fruits of hard work, I'm rolling around in my dads right now, when my dad first came to America in '85 he worked 90-108 hours a week for three years just so he get a liquor store and then he saved even more bought a couple more convenient stores, and now established a trucking company. His stories have very much motivated to become successful in life. I may have not put in the physical you or my dad have to start or buy a business, but I did put an overwhelming amount of academic work for the things that I have... Just to let you know I have no grudge against you and 100% understand what angle your coming from just defending my point...
Darnit, I just can't seem to stay away from this thread! I think I was in a very similar situation to you. My dad, while "middle-class" back home, left a revolution in our home country (Iran) and had to start over here. He went to school in the South, and worked various jobs (ice cream parlor, pizza delivery, etc) to pay for his school. He was cussed at, harassed, etc during his time down there, but he did that because he wanted a better life for his family. I only really came to that realization in my teens when I was about to go to University and he told me about his experiences. My whole life before that I thought nothing of it. Anyways, ever since I've been 10 he's been quite successful and we've lived comfortably. While the most I ever got for good grades was a new computer, he always wanted the best for me and even right now would probably help me buy a bigger house for my family, or even a sports car if I asked for it.

I think the big difference between when I was 20 and now (I'm 33) is that he knows I appreciate it, don't take it for granted, or even worse.. try to abuse it. And at the same time, he wants to do as much as he can to make sure life is comfortable for me and my family. In many ways, looking back... I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have handled this whole think as maturely and considerately as you have.

In terms of where I am now (a 2 year old and a newborn, and relatively well off (with a 4GS )), I really need to think about how I'm going to raise my own kids. Even down to the cheap little matchbox toys we buy them, I try to teach him the importance of earning something, not always getting what you want, and having some self control (a HUGE thing that is missing in the coming generation). It's a tough thing raising kids.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now. Op, thanks for posting here as I think it not only was advice for you but also helped open everyone's eyes to the different situations we're in.

Alright, let's talk about cars. When are you posting pictures of your GS450h F-sport?
Old 03-13-13, 06:35 AM
daxwert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Here in SA, Namibia they offer the GS450h in F-Sport. Reason I didnt take it is that the F-Sport comes with less features. I do like the look though so for a while I though of doing the conversion myself but I'm over that. Standing next to each other I dont see there being any difficulty doing so.

2. Also grew up with relatively wealthy parents. I'm 37 now and the GS is my first new car and I tell you it is extremely satisfactory. Mostly due to the fact that I bought it myself.
Old 03-13-13, 06:55 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, I'm impressed at the maturity you've shown. At 17-18 years old, I would have told everyone here and their parents to **** off. Might do it now, actually.

Gotta say though, it's not really "earning" a car by getting good grades. You are *supposed* to get good grades. lol. I'm sort of a hard ***, but I don't give bonus points when people do what they are supposed to do. Only when you go above and beyond.

But still, as I've said before if your family is wealthy then a GS that some people here can't afford until their late 30's and 40's is something relatively inexpensive to you. There are kids who don't even get good grades and their first cars are Porsches and Range Rovers. Just depends on how rich their parents are. No biggie. At least you aren't coming in here bragging.

But yeah, I think it would be cool if you did the conversion to the F-Sport front end. That way you get the nice non-F wood interior, plus the more aggressive exterior of the F-Sport. If I had a 4Gs, I'd have to get a front lip spoiler for the F-Sport model though. I think that sets it off nicely.
Old 03-13-13, 10:51 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Well honest opinion in regards to cars, since you already heard my advice, get the GS 450h F-Sport when it comes out rather than getting a GS 450h and installing all of those mods. I have heard it is suppose to come out this summer if not than just get the GS 350 F-Sport you will have more fun it, the 450h isn't a slouch and I owned the 3GS and the power is great and with this design it is also nice, but just keep in mind the price of mods. If it was me I would try to see if the dealer could add this as part of the deal or help me out, in terms of installation. I think you are forgetting the cost for the rear bumper as well. You will need the rear bottom part and the lower exhaust cutouts, more like $2,100. When it all boils down at the end of the day it's still your choice, although you can take our advice with a grain of salt, you still make the choice and I think you have your mind set. On another note I think you would be the first to tackle this on the forum or in the US might be a stretch for that but def the forum.

Last edited by bigblack06; 03-13-13 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Conversion to 450h?