GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Optimum no rinse garage wash

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-13, 05:46 PM
ryanbeck
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optimum no rinse garage wash

Took Friday afternoon off and got out the optimum no rinse wash out in my cold Wisconsin garage. I had a few Peroni's so sorry if the picture quality is not the best. Turned out great. I should have taken before pics with the white salt on. This is a great product and an even better car. 1800 miles on it. Hope you like
Attached Thumbnails Optimum no rinse garage wash-image.jpg  
Old 03-09-13, 07:32 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, that has to be gratifying.
Old 03-09-13, 07:35 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

definitely needed in the snowy states!
Old 03-09-13, 08:02 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

One question... when the snow is over do you take it to a full service car wash to get the undercarriage cleaned? Shouldn't that be done on a regular basis? Sorry, I'm igorant on this topic since I live in TX and our snowfalls are pretty rare.
Old 03-09-13, 08:40 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
One question... when the snow is over do you take it to a full service car wash to get the undercarriage cleaned? Shouldn't that be done on a regular basis? Sorry, I'm igorant on this topic since I live in TX and our snowfalls are pretty rare.
No car wash, never use a car wash! Touchless car wash for undercarriage wash, yes I do as they dump pounds of salt on the roads when it snows, so I think it's always good to get a undercarriage wash. nice product OP I recall SW10ES saying something about a garage car cleaner, I have ordered some but don't think I'm gonna use it maybe next winter.
Old 03-09-13, 08:53 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanbeck
Took Friday afternoon off and got out the optimum no rinse wash out in my cold Wisconsin garage. I had a few Peroni's so sorry if the picture quality is not the best. Turned out great. I should have taken before pics with the white salt on. This is a great product and an even better car. 1800 miles on it. Hope you like
looking good ryan. i'm terrified of using ONR. i can not see wiping a dirty car with a MF towel dipped in ONR. i rinse, foam, rinse, wash rinse and dry. i am to afraid that i will scratch the **** out of my paint using ONR. this obsidian paint has me paranoid .

Originally Posted by dseag2
damn near everything under our cars have a cover over it. i may spray some water/apc mix and rinse but i usually wash the hell out of my wheel wells.

Originally Posted by bigblack06
No car wash, never use a car wash! Touchless car wash for undercarriage wash, yes I do as they dump pounds of salt on the roads when it snows, so I think it's always good to get a undercarriage wash. nice product OP I recall SW10ES saying something about a garage car cleaner, I have ordered some but don't think I'm gonna use it maybe next winter.
to afraid of ONR, when i see it on the shelf at DD i start to sweat.

Last edited by sydtoosic; 03-10-13 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-09-13, 09:14 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
looking good ryan. i'm terrified of using ONR. i can not see wiping a dirty car with a MF towel dipped in ONR. i rinse, foam, rinse, wash rinse and dry. i am to afraid that i will scratch the **** out of my paint using ONR. this obsidian paint has me paranoid .

damn near everything under our cars have a cover over it. i may spray some water/apc mix and rinse but i usually wash the hell out of my wheel wells.

to afraid of ONR, when i se it on the shelf at DD i start to sweat.
I don't blame you with this cars paint gotta treat it like a 6-month old infant
Old 03-09-13, 11:00 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Yes I was hesitant to use ONR on my kona blue Shelby GT500 the first time, but now it's almost all I use for car washes after 2 years of using it. We had Scott from scottwax.com come detail our GS and apply opticoat this past week. I believe he uses ONR as well. If there is more dirt than usual, I will in those cases go with the more conventional wash, usually with Zaino car wash.
Old 03-10-13, 10:07 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I've been using Griot's Spray Car Wash for a few years with excellent results, though I will admit I was a bit afraid at the beginning. I use it with very plush and thick microfiber cloths (Griot's too).

Has anyone tried both Griot's and Optimum to opine on one vs. the other?

And BTW, your hood looks great, ryanbeck!
Old 03-10-13, 04:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

ONR is a great product! Must have for garage washes, and really even in the summer I use it because I don't have to worry about water spotting.

Originally Posted by betashave
Yes I was hesitant to use ONR on my kona blue Shelby GT500 the first time, but now it's almost all I use for car washes after 2 years of using it. We had Scott from scottwax.com come detail our GS and apply opticoat this past week. I believe he uses ONR as well. If there is more dirt than usual, I will in those cases go with the more conventional wash, usually with Zaino car wash.
So cool you used Scott! I've known him for like 10 years on the Autopia detailing forums. Great detailer, and yes he does use ONR. Optimum has a new ONR with a wax additive he's been trying too.

Originally Posted by caha14
Has anyone tried both Griot's and Optimum to opine on one vs. the other?
Yes, ONR is a much better product than the Griots product.

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
looking good ryan. i'm terrified of using ONR. i can not see wiping a dirty car with a MF towel dipped in ONR. i rinse, foam, rinse, wash rinse and dry. i am to afraid that i will scratch the **** out of my paint using ONR. this obsidian paint has me paranoid
I'd be very surprised if ONR marred your paint...I've used it on black cars and had no problems.
Old 03-10-13, 04:53 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
ONR is a great product! Must have for garage washes, and really even in the summer I use it because I don't have to worry about water spotting.

So cool you used Scott! I've known him for like 10 years on the Autopia detailing forums. Great detailer, and yes he does use ONR. Optimum has a new ONR with a wax additive he's been trying too.

Yes, ONR is a much better product than the Griots product.

I'd be very surprised if ONR marred your paint...I've used it on black cars and had no problems.
i still sweat when i see it. i have to test a small inconspicuous spot to see what happens.
Old 03-10-13, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I'd be interested to see.

The way it works is really cool, it emulsifies and encapsulates the dirt on contact, and especially with your 22ple coating it would work really, really well.
Old 03-10-13, 05:41 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Very cool! I didn't get to meet him this time as he did the whole process while I was at work, but my wife said he was great to deal with and very efficient. I'm anxious to use ONR to wash her car now that it's been treated with Opticoat. Scott said the car should be very easy to clean with ONR with that coating on there.

Looks like he did a great job and I may get him to work on the Shelby soon, which he said he would be happy to do.
Old 03-10-13, 08:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'll be looking for pics of your car on Autopia! He usually posts his details.
Old 03-10-13, 08:35 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

I'll be looking for pics of your car on Autopia! He usually posts his details.
Cool. Yes, my wife said he did take photos.

Quick Reply: Optimum no rinse garage wash