GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Nebula Gray Swirls

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-13, 03:58 PM
GtiB
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No swirls at all ! i had a black es once upon a time and it was full of swirls and scratches
Nebula gives u that dark color shine you are looking for plus less hassle
Old 02-06-13, 04:10 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maxwebr
I can tell you it all about how you wash and detail the car to prevent swirls. My last two lexus's were black or smokey granite. I find the right products and applicators to make it swirl free. What i am using now exclusively is Adam's polishes. I love there products. They have a swirl free polish, even a deep swirl removal. Takes a lot of time, but I have got amazing results.
One of the reasons I got white this time around on my GS. Just don't have 3-4 hours to work on the car anymore.
there is no way to prevent swirls, washmarks etc. on any paint. anything that comes in contact with your paint will scratch it. Phil@DD says the Obsidian is the worst paint he's ever worked with. the paint is beautiful, it's just too damn soft. he actually showed me where a plush MF towel left a mark after (very fine and barely noticeable clear coat scratch) he had perfectly polished the car. there's no way around it unless you never touch your car.
Old 02-06-13, 08:20 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
black and flaxen here. hardest to maintain but IMO the best color combo for this car. it's unique.

as far as cleaning goes, don't let anybody touch it but yourself, and google the 2 bucket system, best way to wash car. i have yet to wash my car since having it detailed by joe at superior shine..3 weeks ago..i know swirls are unavoidable, but at least can reduce them by washing it properly.

I actually thought the first pic was an abstract painting of garbage until I realized it was the reflection off your hood. NICE!!
Old 02-07-13, 09:26 AM
maxwebr
Driver

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
there is no way to prevent swirls, washmarks etc. on any paint. anything that comes in contact with your paint will scratch it. Phil@DD says the Obsidian is the worst paint he's ever worked with. the paint is beautiful, it's just too damn soft. he actually showed me where a plush MF towel left a mark after (very fine and barely noticeable clear coat scratch) he had perfectly polished the car. there's no way around it unless you never touch your car.
I wish I had some pictures.. Yes in general for scratches, water stains, etc.. they are not gone completely, but with enought attention and the right products, it is damn near invisible.On my black car it was virtually swirl free. Enough that I would say it was. You would have to really study it to see any deep swirls that were reduced to minor.
It just take time.. A lot of time. Deep scratches I use 2 1/2 in pads with a cordless drill to work out the tough areas. Regular polishing use the Porter Cable random orbital.

Main reason I went back to White.. don't want to spend 4-5 detailing a car.
Old 02-07-13, 01:34 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by maxwebr
I wish I had some pictures.. Yes in general for scratches, water stains, etc.. they are not gone completely, but with enought attention and the right products, it is damn near invisible.On my black car it was virtually swirl free. Enough that I would say it was. You would have to really study it to see any deep swirls that were reduced to minor.
It just take time.. A lot of time. Deep scratches I use 2 1/2 in pads with a cordless drill to work out the tough areas. Regular polishing use the Porter Cable random orbital.

you and me both... no more dark colors for me.
Old 02-07-13, 02:01 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Well I still want to do some work,
I just want to be able to make it
look half decent. Black is not my
forte. Without the current clear
seal I had put on when I bought
this one, it would probably look
like a jigsaw by now.