GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Nebula Gray Swirls

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 08:16 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm biased but I vote for Black/Flaxen or at least a dark color for the 4GS.. It's a lot of work and effort to keep it clean and shiny but I don't regret getting this color. I think if you wash and take care it right, you should be fine. The dirt may get more noticeable but so will the shine. I actually thought about NG but when I saw it in person, it didn't do it for me. I guess everyone has different taste. Any color you choose I'm sure you'll love it and find a way to keep her clean and shine.

Last edited by 1111GS; 02-05-13 at 06:51 AM.
Old 02-04-13, 08:23 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by noncom23
Nope. You gotta hold on.
My last SP GS was the lowest
maintenance paint I have had.
I used my oldest
drying towel on it and had no gripe
about swirls. NG just looks fragile.
But NG does fit this body style well.
Nebula Gray was my first choice, but the salesperson mis-ordered and I received Liquid Platinum. I love it. It is really a more vibrant silver than the ordinary and stays clean for a week between washings.
Old 02-04-13, 08:53 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
Speaking of light cars and swirls... I was at a Tesla showroom, and their white Tesla S had A LOT of swirls on it. Embarrassingly so. I mentioned it to the sales guy and he politely shrugged and said that they make their cars do a lot of double/triple duty (showroom car, test drive, tech testing, etc). I still love the car though. I did happen to do the math to see the cost of trading in my 4GS for one.

(btw: love my 4GS, but the dealer experience and the rattle I've complaining about for 8 months now is driving me NUTS). I'm giving the dealership one more chance (although I shouldn't.. they clean my car when I ask them not to, they blame the rattle on unreasonable things (noise is in the front door/ashtray area, but they blamed my carseat in the back), and they also don't replace things when they "fix" the car (I noticed the trim around the front passenger A-pillar wasn't probably re-fitted after my last visit to fix rattles on that side)).

If someone from Lexus is reading this, PM me. I'm at wits end. Being a Toyota/Lexus person for 18 years (since I was 16), I know I'll come back and I still think they're better than the rest for quality/reliability.. but I feel like I need a break for a few years.

Another edit: They also disabled the cookie-crumb functionality the last time I gave them the car.. which pissed me off. They said it must have accidentally been reset, but the suspicious guy in me makes me feel like they took it offroading to see if they could hear rattles.
M... you should call LC and demand that a Lexus Rep come out to see you so that you can voice your concerns, and let him or her know what you need done to the 60K car you just bought from them. you are entitled, you're a consumer buying their product... they have to do right by you.
Old 02-04-13, 10:27 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

You guys with Nebula Gray experience,
are swirls a hassle with this color?
I have black now and thinking
of a switch.
Thx ahead.
It's not the car, it's the guy who washes the car.

You might want to search the two buck wash system. I use two buckets (5 gal) with a grit guard on the bottom. Multiple clean towels for drying. My black looks almost like when I first got the car six months ago.

After washing my first car more than 20 years ago, I've only learned of this technique 6 months ago. Can't believe it took me this long.
Old 02-04-13, 10:58 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

black and flaxen here. hardest to maintain but IMO the best color combo for this car. it's unique.

as far as cleaning goes, don't let anybody touch it but yourself, and google the 2 bucket system, best way to wash car. i have yet to wash my car since having it detailed by joe at superior shine..3 weeks ago..i know swirls are unavoidable, but at least can reduce them by washing it properly.

Old 02-05-13, 04:59 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beauty! Thx for the pix.
Old 02-05-13, 05:14 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

WOW! Had to get my sunglasses out lol.
Old 02-05-13, 08:49 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Swirls are a problem on all paint colours from all manufacturers. Yes, Lexus paint is a little on the thin side compared to the German brands but overall, it is OK. The main way to prevent swirls in the first place is to take the washing into your own hands. Car washes, including touch-less car washes damage your paint!! Best thing to do is use a two bucket method, preferably with grit guards and a high quality drying cloth or chamois. Waxing often is also a great way to protect your paint. Wax will stop the paint from fading and some waxes can mask swirls very well.

As I said before, swirls are a problem on all paint types and colors. Some swirls are pretty natural due to the car being driven in dust and basically on the road. Even a £300k Rolls Royce will have swirls if taken to an automatic car wash or an incorrect method is used to wash the car. Yes, washing takes time, but id rather take an hour to wash my car than see swirls every time the sun shines.

Last edited by rayaans; 02-05-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-06-13, 09:41 AM
buffguy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nebula Gray is light colored and metallic which hides swirls better than a solid color car would. You should get that color if you like it. NG goes well with the color of the f-sport wheels.
Old 02-06-13, 09:48 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Thx guys. NG will probably be
my choice. I can deal with the
swirls and get a pro to help
occasionally.
Old 02-06-13, 09:53 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by modthispny
black and flaxen here. hardest to maintain but IMO the best color combo for this car. it's unique.

as far as cleaning goes, don't let anybody touch it but yourself, and google the 2 bucket system, best way to wash car. i have yet to wash my car since having it detailed by joe at superior shine..3 weeks ago..i know swirls are unavoidable, but at least can reduce them by washing it properly.

nnnnniiiiiiiiiccccceee!!!! are we using HB
Old 02-06-13, 09:56 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Thx guys. NG will probably be
my choice. I can deal with the
swirls and get a pro to help
occasionally.
SP/LP i'm standing firm.... you'll only need a pro detail twice a year. you can save money and do it yourself.
Old 02-06-13, 11:02 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
SP/LP i'm standing firm.... you'll only need a pro detail twice a year. you can save money and do it yourself.
Lol! I hear ya'!
Old 02-06-13, 11:44 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Not trying to persuade you for black but, IMO, I would buy the color I want even if it's high maintenance. Treat "her" like a real lady. If you love black, stay with it esp. for the 4GS.
Attached Thumbnails Nebula Gray Swirls-flaxen-on-black.jpg  
Old 02-06-13, 01:40 PM
maxwebr
Driver

I can tell you it all about how you wash and detail the car to prevent swirls. My last two lexus's were black or smokey granite. I find the right products and applicators to make it swirl free. What i am using now exclusively is Adam's polishes. I love there products. They have a swirl free polish, even a deep swirl removal. Takes a lot of time, but I have got amazing results.
One of the reasons I got white this time around on my GS. Just don't have 3-4 hours to work on the car anymore.

Quick Reply: Nebula Gray Swirls