GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 09:17 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2014 Lexus GS

Ok I know this is all speculation, and a lot of people have already expressed their opinions on what next years model would be like. Everyone pretty much bases their opinions on the past of Lexus which makes sense, e.g. how long they keep a model and approximately how long until they do a refresh etc.

So my question is what happened with the 2006 Lexus Gs 300? I wasn't around Lexus during that time so i really don't know the answer to this. It seems as if they did a whole redesign to the GS in 06 with the 3.0 and then the next year changed the motor completely because they found it was underpowered or something. Seems strange to have such a big change after just one year.
Old 02-01-13, 09:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

actually, although the US had gs300 in 06, during the same year, gs350 was already available in japan, so the engine was already available so to speak. there are a lot of speculations on why engine update after a year though and no one has a straight answer. one thing for sure, from 06 to 07 the gs was a pretty big step up. engine got change, electronics got improved (audio system for example), standard equipments got updated (all cars with bigger brakes), etc...
Old 02-02-13, 03:59 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

I don’t think Lexus will change much on the 2014 model, well not here in the UK anyway, they may add a slight change but nothing substantial, un like other countries we don’t get the option to custom order our cars, although most of the options come as standard, the only add on options I could have on my GS 450h f sport was a sunroof and upgraded ML sound system.
Old 02-02-13, 07:16 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

in 2-3 yrs with the refresh, they will re-do the grill so the chrome comes all the way down aka LS460 and chrome strip will be added below the doors like the 3GS. maybe they will update the tailight or headlight a bit. hopefully by this time they will have a V8
Old 02-02-13, 12:02 PM
VMM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I absolutely love this car and was ready to order and even had my loan preapproved with my credit union. I hesitated a little with the 6 speed versus 8 speed but thought that 8 would be annoying to paddle shift through. Another thread speculated that the cross traffic monitor would be available next year. For me, the elephant in the room is this new iihs small overlap test. I realize the GS hasn't been tested but the new Camry failed. I can see that the prior ES failed but that the new ES has yet to be tested. It would be reassuring to see that Lexus addressed this issue. I know these tests are controversial and that it has caused quite a spirited discussion in some of the other subforums on this site. Was wondering if anyone had heard anything? Despite the small overlap tests, the new Lexus models really seem safe. Audi and Mercedes fared very poorly on the small overlap test as well. I'm willing to wait till the 2014 model year if this is addressed for piece of mind. The car drove like a dream and was very comfortable. Am looking to get a fun sporty sedan for my wife and kids. She drives a Honda Odyssey currently. I switch back and forth between my 2005 M3 and a 2007 C4S. My two personal drivers are likely a lot less safe than the current GS. Decisions, decisions.
Old 02-02-13, 12:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
hopefully by this time they will have a V8
Wouldn't get my hopes up about the V8. I don't think you'll ever see a V8 in the GS again.

In fact, I bet the next LS comes in a V6 model. BMW, MB, Audi, and Jaguar have already gone to base V8s in their large luxury sedans. V8s are a dying breed.

Originally Posted by VMM
For me, the elephant in the room is this new iihs small overlap test. I realize the GS hasn't been tested but the new Camry failed. I can see that the prior ES failed but that the new ES has yet to be tested. It would be reassuring to see that Lexus addressed this issue.
I'm not worried about the small overlap test. Most cars will fail that test, only because nobody has ever tested vehicles in that way before. Doesn't mean a car isn't safe, all you have to do is look at the injury statistics on a car to know if it is safe, ask your insurance agent.

Its more than a midyear thing to make a car perform well in a never before known test. 5 years or so cars will start performing better in that test. Unless you want to wait that long, I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-02-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-02-13, 12:37 PM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ you are absolutely right, but I am still crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I think whether or not Lexus will create new v8's in the future will really depend on the next generation of the isf. We will see until then I guess.
Old 02-02-13, 12:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

No, it has to do with fuel economy, thats the bottom line. There are limits to what they can do with a V8 to improve fuel economy, the consumer wants excellent fuel economy, and because of the new CAFE standards having V8s in the lineup is becoming harder and harder.

You can provide the power of a V8 in a 6 and the power of a 6 in a 4 when you employ things like superchargers, turbochargers, etc. With that comes better economy. You can see manufacturers going that way. The F line cars like the AMG or M cars are are a niche product, the question is whether or not you'll have a mainstream V8 GS or even LS in the future, and I doubt it.

If you had suggested a few years ago we'd see a 4cyl 5 series BMW, or 6Cyl 7 series and S Classes I'd have said you're crazy, but its a different world. LS350 next time, I bet ya.
Old 02-02-13, 12:49 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
The F line cars like the AMG or M cars are are a niche product, the question is whether or not you'll have a mainstream V8 GS or even LS in the future, and I doubt it.
i agree with you for most part expect LS will always offer V8.

One more thing for re-fresh GS-F/F-sport...
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Lexus GS-12.jpg  
Old 02-02-13, 12:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
i agree with you for most part expect LS will always offer V8.
I would not be surprised if they kept the V8 as an option, but I would be very surprised if they had a V8 as standard. I think it will be a V6 standard, with a V8 option likely since everybody else in the segment has gone that way. Seriously...the LS is the only large luxury car left that has a standard V8, everything else starts with a 6 now, with MB having the 350 diesel and a 400 hybrid as another economy choice below the 550 V8.

However, I also would not be terribly surprised if they did away with the V8 entirely and kept the 6 and then the hybrid as the higher performance model, like with the GS. Again, a couple years ago I would have told myself I was crazy.

If they did offer a 6, I bet 90% of LS sales would be the 6.

I dunno about the LFA style gauges in the GS. They're cool, but in a way that would appeal to someone buying a $47k IS F Sport more than a $60k GS F Sport IMHO. I for one would not want the LFA style gauges.

For the GS you have to ask yourself, would someone driving a BMW 5 or a Mercedes E be impressed with those gauges? I think they're a little too boy racerish for the GS.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-02-13 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-02-13, 01:32 PM
terrycs
Instructor

No, it has to do with fuel economy, thats the bottom line. There are limits to what they can do with a V8 to improve fuel economy, the consumer wants excellent fuel economy, and because of the new CAFE standards having V8s in the lineup is becoming harder and harder.

You can provide the power of a V8 in a 6 and the power of a 6 in a 4 when you employ things like superchargers, turbochargers, etc. With that comes better economy. You can see manufacturers going that way. The F line cars like the AMG or M cars are are a niche product, the question is whether or not you'll have a mainstream V8 GS or even LS in the future, and I doubt it.

If you had suggested a few years ago we'd see a 4cyl 5 series BMW, or 6Cyl 7 series and S Classes I'd have said you're crazy, but its a different world. LS350 next time, I bet ya.
I don't think the V8 is dead at all. Check out how the Audi S6 and Cadillac CTS-V does it. If anything, I think Lexus might employ simlar technology to shut down extra cylinders when they are not needed to meet federal standards. Almost like the best of both worlds.
Old 02-02-13, 01:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

But those are high performance, low volume, specialty models. You don't see the A6 or the CTS available with a V8 outside of S or V trim. Also note that BMW has said the next M3 will not have a V8. No more V8 in the S5, signaling the way Audi is headed.

We're talking about comparable cars to the IS-F and GS-F (if one will ever exist)

I'm saying the day of the V8 in a mainstream model is coming to an end.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-02-13 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-02-13, 04:24 PM
LexFather

If anything they need to offer the GS 300h and GS 250.. The Germans continue to offer smaller engines as well as larger ones and the small ones are the ones that sell.

They need a GS F pronto... I'd rather them put the efforts in that than a
GS 460
Old 02-02-13, 08:23 PM
terrycs
Instructor

But those are high performance, low volume, specialty models. You don't see the A6 or the CTS available with a V8 outside of S or V trim. Also note that BMW has said the next M3 will not have a V8. No more V8 in the S5, signaling the way Audi is headed.

We're talking about comparable cars to the IS-F and GS-F (if one will ever exist)

I'm saying the day of the V8 in a mainstream model is coming to an end.
Even the Audi 3.0 A6 is supercharged. I wish the GS had a higher power/weight ratio.
Old 02-02-13, 08:34 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by terrycs
Even the Audi 3.0 A6 is supercharged. I wish the GS had a higher power/weight ratio.
You know whats funny. Here the base A6 is a 2.0 I-4 with a CVT transmission. Oh and its FWD and starts around 42k

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus GS