GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2014 Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 11:00 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
I was in the same boat as you, until today. Lex Rep comfirmed me TURBO is in the works for Lexus sedan line-up...

the SUV line-up as well...

Big news today — Lexus has trademarked NX 200t & NX 300h in the USA, Canada, and Australia, giving the very first details about the much-rumored Lexus compact crossover.
Following the X SUV naming convention established with RX, GX, & LX, the NX trademark filing also offer some clue to what will be under the hood:
The NX 200t could be powered by the recently announced 2.0L turbo-charged four-cylinder engine.
The NX 300h will likely have the same 2.5L four-cylinder hybrid engine from the ES 300h.
If this NX does end up using the 2.0L turbo engine, this trademark also provides a potential timeline — according to the announcement last month, this engine won’t be put into production until 2014.

Read more at http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/11/0...ulchVQYUsLm.99

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2012/11/0...act-crossover/
Old 02-05-13, 01:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

maybe only in the GS-F sport only like the IS.. F-Sport peeps will def appreciate it..
I don't agree. Imagine gauges like that in an AMG Mercedes or BMW 5 with the M package? Thats the sort of buyer Lexus wants with the F Sport. Those gauges are cool for an IS, or an LFA, or a 2 door Scion, but I don't think so in a midsized $60k sport sedan.
Old 02-05-13, 01:55 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I don't agree. Imagine gauges like that in an AMG Mercedes or BMW 5 with the M package? Thats the sort of buyer Lexus wants with the F Sport. Those gauges are cool for an IS, or an LFA, or a 2 door Scion, but I don't think so in a midsized $60k sport sedan.
current GS gauges are very plain IMO...
Old 02-05-13, 02:05 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can provide the power of a V8 in a 6 and the power of a 6 in a 4 when you employ things like superchargers, turbochargers, etc. With that comes better economy. You can see manufacturers going that way. The F line cars like the AMG or M cars are are a niche product, the question is whether or not you'll have a mainstream V8 GS or even LS in the future, and I doubt it.

If you had suggested a few years ago we'd see a 4cyl 5 series BMW, or 6Cyl 7 series and S Classes I'd have said you're crazy, but its a different world. LS350 next time, I bet ya.
I am probably in the tiny minority, but I am the type of person to buy a full size luxury with a dinky engine. I am not a fast driver, and tbh, in non-performance models, I couldn't care less about sporty driving. I just want a big car, with a nice badge, with roomy comfortable seats, and great MPGs. Call mr crazy, but my ideal car would probably be a long wheelbase LS with a 4 cylinder hybrid powertrain. Ya, I'm slow as dickens, but I don't mind arriving in pure comfort.
Old 02-05-13, 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

current GS gauges are very plain IMO...
They're simple and elegant, if you look at the gauges on say a BMW...they don't get much more plain than that.

Its not a segment for things that are high tech for the sake of being high tech, lets just put it that way. The LFA gauges are overdone IMHO, it works in the LFA obviously, and it works on the F Sport IS which is geared towards a younger demographic.

Originally Posted by trexlexus
I am probably in the tiny minority, but I am the type of person to buy a full size luxury with a dinky engine. I am not a fast driver, and tbh, in non-performance models, I couldn't care less about sporty driving. I just want a big car, with a nice badge, with roomy comfortable seats, and great MPGs. Call mr crazy, but my ideal car would probably be a long wheelbase LS with a 4 cylinder hybrid powertrain. Ya, I'm slow as dickens, but I don't mind arriving in pure comfort.
I don't know that you are so much in the minority anymore...
Old 02-05-13, 05:58 PM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Agree that the GS gauges are plain, compared to my old GS it had a nice look to it and had a very elegant look to it. The fact that it changes colors is all that's cool it would have been nice if it was like the BMW cluster where its just an LCD. I would love a GS-F still even though this gas mileage is crazy, I'm not sure Lexus will go through with a turbo on the GS-F I think it will have a supercharger.
Old 02-05-13, 08:57 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

I don't know that you are so much in the minority anymore...
Really? WOuld you say you agree with me?

Regarding the big engines, i do agree with you that they will shortly be a thing of the past. Bentley has already downgraded to the V8 for their continental coupe. Ferrari has a V8 for the 458. If those ultra luxury brands are doing it, you can bet that the regular luxury cars will as well.

It's been said before, but if Lexus had offered smaller engines for every single one of their model lineup, their sales would have been through the roof.
Old 02-06-13, 10:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Regarding the big engines, i do agree with you that they will shortly be a thing of the past. Bentley has already downgraded to the V8 for their continental coupe. Ferrari has a V8 for the 458. If those ultra luxury brands are doing it, you can bet that the regular luxury cars will as well.

It's been said before, but if Lexus had offered smaller engines for every single one of their model lineup, their sales would have been through the roof.
the ferrari example doesn't make any sense.

348, 360, 430, 458, all v8....

550, 575, 599, all v12....
Old 02-06-13, 10:25 AM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the bentley example doesnt work either because they just came out with the gt speed which is a monster...
but anyways I guess the following years will be an interesting change for lexus with these turbos
Old 02-06-13, 01:40 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Oops, ya ferrari example didn't make sense.

Bentley example does because even though they do have the GT speed, they now still have the little V8. The continental line was W12 when it was reintroduced in 2003. Downsizing is occuring.
Old 02-06-13, 01:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree that people will buy smaller engined luxury cars and sacrifice performance for economy within reason nowadays. I've said that repeatedly.

I personally for instance wouldn't buy a 528...but I wouldn't buy a 550 either. If they made a V6 LS I would buy one over the V8. But, I wouldn't want a 4 banger probably, unless it was very smooth and refined.
Old 02-06-13, 08:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You're probably only in the minority in this forum, but not in the real world. I was appalled when Audi dropped a 4 cylinder turbo in the A5, since my A5 was a 3.2 V6, and I wouldn't have even considered trading for the 4 cylinder, but apparently the lower priced 4 banger has outsold the V6. That is actually the way the world of autos is going. CAFE standards are forcing automakers to go with smaller, force fed engines and the public has no problem with it as long as the car is roomy and LOOKS sporty.
Old 02-06-13, 10:33 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

The business of offering smaller engines is something, imo, Lexus really needs to take a look at. It is a no-brainer that many people, even those who can afford luxury marques, do not want/need to have big engines. Many simply don't drive "performance-style" and will hardly ever use their 300+ horsepower. They will probably appreciate the savings too. I think with all other things being equal, we all buy luxury because of the prestige badge. I know i do.

If Lexus offered smaller engines across the board, their sales would increase dramatically. I'm sure they'd be at a VERY solid #1 in US luxury sales again.
Old 02-07-13, 12:19 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

There's the problem of short term sales vs compromising long-term perception.

Small cc engines would need turbocharging in order to pull the large heavy luxury sedans/suvs adequately and in an effortless manner that luxury buyers expect.

That compromises long-term reliability, something that Lexus will never countenance since that's a core value of the brand.

Lexus will either come out with a bulletproof turbocharger or else go widespread rollout with a small-NA-engine-based hybrid solution. Its easy for Lexus to slap on a turbocharger, it's difficult to design one that meets Lexus-levels of refinement and durability.

Based on the above considerations, I expect Lexus to go with option 2 (small NA engine with hybrid tech).
Old 02-07-13, 05:31 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

If you decontent a luxury car, is is really a luxury car anymore?

Quick Reply: 2014 Lexus GS