GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Pre-collision system works well, but I almost got into an accident because of it

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 06:25 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Pre-collision system works well, but I almost got into an accident because of it

The traffic was moderate and I was not speeding at all, doing about 30 - 35mph max. The road had only three lanes and I was driving in the left most lane. Anyways, I saw an opening in the middle lane, so I switch! Now, this is where everything went south! The car started beeping, the sound was similar to park assist, the dash started blinking red and the car came to a complete stop at about 45 degrees angle. Yes, blocking both the left and middle lanes. The car behind me almost rear ended me and the car in the middle lane almost t-boned me Also, it really felt like someone slammed on brakes, the car did not apply the brakes lightly.

I really don't know what the hell happened back there The only thing that comes to my mind is, the PCS thought I fell asleep ? when I took my eyes of the road to check my blind spot real quick ( I do have BSM ) but its an old habit! Perhaps at that point, the PCS thought I was going to rear end the car in front of me or something???! not sure, since I was already turning into the middle lane....One thing I'm sure of, it was a really unpleasant situation.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 01-10-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 06:36 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow that's scary! Glad you and the GS made it with any incident. I'm assuming it had to do with how you switched lanes. I guess the PCS threshold parameters were reached. Was your indicator on when you switched? Was there a car in the left-most lane in front of you or the middle lane that you merged in? You must have been setting bullets after.
Old 01-10-13, 06:41 PM
mush
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

glad my car doesent have this option
Old 01-10-13, 06:42 PM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, it's crazy to know that such a simple thing done "wrong" like switching lanes could make that system go off

I am glad to hear you are ok. I hope my comment has no truth to it and your system just malfunctioned, because I would NEVER get PCS.
Old 01-10-13, 06:50 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by yardie876
Wow that's scary! Glad you and the GS made it with any incident. I'm assuming it had to do with how you switched lanes. I guess the PCS threshold parameters were reached. Was your indicator on when you switched? Was there a car in the left-most lane in front of you or the middle lane that you merged in? You must have been setting bullets after.
It was indeed scary... The indicator was on ( but I'm not 100% sure at this point ). There was a car in front of me in the left most lane, no cars in the lane that I merged in though.

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 01-10-13 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 06:52 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Vroomin350
Wow, it's crazy to know that such a simple thing done "wrong" like switching lanes could make that system go off

I am glad to hear you are ok. I hope my comment has no truth to it and your system just malfunctioned, because I would NEVER get PCS.
Yeah, it's pretty scary when you don't have the full control of the car I really hope that it was just one time thing...
Old 01-10-13, 07:07 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is dangerous to all of us. Lexus should have trained you about how the software works. I'd turn it off for the time being. I think it was meant as a cruise control helper. When you made the turn, you were in the threshold for the car to stop ( previously mentioned). The system still thinks you were still behind the car you w were turning away from. It doesn't know you made evasive maneuver.

The software prevented you from being to close too the car in front of you...the angle threshold was not factored. Software seems in its infancy.

Last edited by sam430; 01-10-13 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-10-13, 07:21 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
The traffic was moderate and I was not speeding at all, doing about 30 - 35mph max. The road had only three lanes and I was driving in the left most lane. Anyways, I saw an opening in the middle lane, so I switch! Now, this is where everything went south! The car started beeping, the sound was similar to park assist, the dash started blinking red and the car came to a complete stop at about 45 degrees angle. Yes, blocking both the left and middle lanes. The car behind me almost rear ended me and the car in the middle lane almost t-boned me Also, it really felt like someone slammed on brakes, the car did not apply the brakes lightly.

I really don't know what the hell happened back there The only thing that comes to my mind is, the PCS thought I fell asleep ? when I took my eyes of the road to check my blind spot real quick ( I do have BSM ) but its an old habit! Perhaps at that point, the PCS thought I was going to rear end the car in front of me or something???! not sure, since I was already turning into the middle lane....One thing I'm sure of, it was a really unpleasant situation.
glad you're ok after that one...i only use the PCS when i'm on a long drive on certain highways. the driver attention monitor wouldn't have kicked in that fast when you turned your head, turning your head even if you have BSM, is a good habit, i do it all the time ... better safe than sorry. i believe we have the advanced PCS because, i know the LS has it, and the car will come to a complete stop to avoid a collision. when i used mine i thought it worked a little too good. i've been wondering about the DAM because all i see are two red lights staring at me. i won't close my eyes while driving to see if it wakes me up.
Old 01-10-13, 07:31 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shut that crap off, nOW!!!!
Old 01-10-13, 07:34 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Not sure if I can turn it off, I will have to check the manual tomorrow..
Old 01-10-13, 07:35 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Wow that is scary, look at it this way could have been speeding traffic good thing it happened in slow traffic. Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order to make sure the system is in good order.
Old 01-10-13, 07:47 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
glad you're ok after that one...i only use the PCS when i'm on a long drive on certain highways. the driver attention monitor wouldn't have kicked in that fast when you turned your head, turning your head even if you have BSM, is a good habit, i do it all the time ... better safe than sorry. i believe we have the advanced PCS because, i know the LS has it, and the car will come to a complete stop to avoid a collision. when i used mine i thought it worked a little too good. i've been wondering about the DAM because all i see are two red lights staring at me. i won't close my eyes while driving to see if it wakes me up.
Well, the system work! I've checked haha so hopefully you won't have to deal with it in any way. I also think that drivers attention monitor would not react so fast. Then again, maybe there are other factors in the algorithm used by the car....

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Wow that is scary, look at it this way could have been speeding traffic good thing it happened in slow traffic. Maybe a trip to the dealer is in order to make sure the system is in good order.
I will definitely ask them. I doubt though that they have much knowledge, since these systems are still rare
Old 01-10-13, 08:09 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You might want to analyze what happened to see if you can get it down to its simplest elements. Then, think of a way to SAFELY recreate the situation in a controlled SAFE environment. Once you can replicate it at will, give Lexus corporate a call and tell them how much to make out the check for. Then get a BMW!
Old 01-10-13, 08:18 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
You might want to analyze what happened to see if you can get it down to its simplest elements. Then, think of a way to SAFELY recreate the situation in a controlled SAFE environment. Once you can replicate it at will, give Lexus corporate a call and tell them how much to make out the check for. Then get a BMW!
use Styrofoam as a dummy
Old 01-10-13, 10:08 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if I can turn it off, I will have to check the manual tomorrow..
yes you can turn it off. it's under the dash, where your NV button is but a little further back and to your the left. you have to feel around for it, it's there. i found it after numerous attempts, when you push the button you should see the PCS light on your tach display, that means it's disabled.

Quick Reply: Pre-collision system works well, but I almost got into an accident because of it