GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY puddle light led

Old 06-21-13, 01:10 PM
TopPretend
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by axiom00
+1 for the Sylvania in the mirror puddle light

Base on onexcite recommendation, I got the Sylvania and it worked out perfectly. Brightness and color (matched interior) exactly how I wanted. No hint of blue.

I also tried out the flank bulbs and when the bulbs are locked in the light housing, they are not parallel to the ground. I would say about 20-30 degrees off the horizontal axis. More of the light is directed towards the wheel vs evenly spread directly below the mirror.

Only negative is that they are expensive, $11 for one bulb, $22 for a pair
Thanks for pointing out the vled flank doesn't point downwards perfectly!

The Sylvania bulb shines all directions. But the puddle light socket has the bulb positioned parallel to the ground, not perpendicular to it, isn't it? So half light won't get to the ground, right?
Old 06-21-13, 01:23 PM
axiom00
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TopPretend

The Sylvania bulb shines all directions. But the puddle light socket has the bulb positioned parallel to the ground, not perpendicular to it, isn't it? So half light won't get to the ground, right?
Correct. It's not perpendicular to the ground, but it's not completely parallel either. 0 degrees being parallel to the ground, I would estimate 20-30 degrees. The front bulb edge is higher than the back edge (hope that makes sense).

Had the Sylvania and Flank installed at the same time, one on each mirror. I find the Sylvania to produce a more even light pattern on the ground.

I wouldn't say 50% of the light is lost, more like 25-30%.
Old 06-21-13, 10:07 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
This is better 180 degree dome diffuser and will last longer, you can get them from any Autozone for $10/piece. This also work in the trunk and vanity mirror, very bright.

Amazon.com: Sylvania 168/194/2825 Premium White LEDriving Bulb: Automotive
Picked up one from Autozone and tried it in the trunk tonight. All I can say is WOW!!! What was Lexus thinking w their incandescent bulb!? The brightness must have increased by a factor of 5. Very white just like the interior.

Going to go down to the garage and switch the puddle light. Can't wait.
Old 06-21-13, 11:05 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad it work out for you guys.

Now I wish I could swap out the stock dull LED interior light with this Sylvania LED. Any idea? :-P
Old 06-21-13, 11:10 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Half the light will shine to the housing and bounce back so my guess you'll lost 20-30% of lumen output.

Originally Posted by TopPretend

Old 06-22-13, 12:59 AM
mso4
Pole Position

Glad it work out for you guys.

Now I wish I could swap out the stock dull LED interior light with this Sylvania LED. Any idea? :-P
You were right on the money with the Sylvania LED. Pep Boys also have them but for $15.

Took over an hour to do. At least I know these won't burn out for a while.

Hardest part was undoing the clips behind the mirrors. At first I was being gentle because I was afraid something would break. Also my fingers barely fit in there. If you have big fingers it will be difficult. But once I man up things just pop out real easy. When done properly you would have the mirror (with wires attached), the mirror surround (some call the back cover), and the front cover (the part that faces the front of the car.)

Once mirrors were out I taped the turn signal with painter tape so they don't come undone with the front cover. Then I remove the 5 screws.

When putting things back I took the advice of attaching the puddle light to the mirror surround first before reassembling with the front cover. Then put the screws back. Popping the mirrors back does require some force making sure all 4 clips reattached. Took a little over an hour, 45 min for first mirror and 15 for second.

Name:  IMG_5305_zpscb57d7d6.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  89.3 KB
Name:  IMG_5307_zpsd851254f.jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  94.2 KB
Name:  IMG_5310_zps4d7486c7.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  26.9 KB
Name:  IMG_5312_zpsd571967f.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  32.4 KB
Old 06-22-13, 03:12 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mso4

Did your bag get moved? looks like the same spot but rotated? ...were they much brighter than oem, like...how much brighter, 2x, 3x, ..? what about these
Amazon.com: OSRAM - LEDriving W5W 6000K (Pair): Automotive Amazon.com: OSRAM - LEDriving W5W 6000K (Pair): Automotive
Old 06-22-13, 10:13 AM
onexcite
Lead Lap

The Osram and Sylvania are exactly the same bulbs, just different packages. Those with Osram package are made for European markets so when it come to the US they price it more expensive.

The bulbs came with Sylvania package got the Osram stamp on the base.

Originally Posted by sam430
Did your bag get moved? looks like the same spot but rotated? ...were they much brighter than oem, like...how much brighter, 2x, 3x, ..? what about these Amazon.com: OSRAM - LEDriving W5W 6000K (Pair): Automotive
Old 06-22-13, 10:22 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mso4

Wow!
That may be a bit too much for me.
I may try the 4 LED flanks I've used in the past.
Great trunk bulb,though..

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-22-13 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-22-13, 11:06 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i prefer the OEM bulbs for the puddle light..when walking up to it, IMO a subtle light looks better and classier than a bright LED that kind of shoots everywhere.

but to each their own.
Old 06-22-13, 11:50 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

The Osram and Sylvania are exactly the same bulbs, just different packages. Those with Osram package are made for European markets so when it come to the US they price it more expensive.

The bulbs came with Sylvania package got the Osram stamp on the base.

cool. Thanks.

Btw, they do look 6000k and not white.
Old 06-22-13, 12:25 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

The pics won't show true color, the camera white balance are off. The LED color is pure white, or white like the interior but brighter.
Old 06-22-13, 12:45 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

The pics won't show true color, the camera white balance are off. The LED color is pure white, or white like the interior but brighter.
Cool... I'm going to order a couple. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-13, 09:00 PM
mso4
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sam430
Did your bag get moved? looks like the same spot but rotated? ...were they much brighter than oem, like...how much brighter, 2x, 3x, ..? [/url]
I was working in the area so had to move the bags around. Afterward I tried to put them roughly at the same spot so you can see the color difference. It's hard to quantify the increase in brightness for the puddle. It was easier for the trunk. I would say 1.5x brighter. But I absolutely love the new color, in my opinion 10x better compared to stock.

Originally Posted by modthispny
i think i prefer the OEM bulbs for the puddle light..when walking up to it, IMO a subtle light looks better and classier than a bright LED that kind of shoots everywhere.

but to each their own.
I've had LED puddle before when I owned an '07 BMW 335i. It looked awesome. It's one of those things that once you have them you can never go back. Kinda like license plate LED lights. They make the rear look so modern. Or heated leather seats.

When I first saw the GS puddle I was greatly disappointed. I mean pretty much everything in the car is LED. Yet the engineers decided to use incandescent for puddle?! This especially considering how difficult it was to replace the bulbs. So I absolutely love the new look. Definitely worth the extra $30.

Yes the color is pure white, like 5k. When I showed my gf the new puddle. She said wow looks very Audi-ish now, before it looked like Toyota lol
Old 06-24-13, 05:19 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Name:  IMG_5310_zps4d7486c7.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  26.9 KB

My GS is white so the stock bulb really looks yellow against the GS when illuminated.I'm just looking to get rid of the yellow look.
Is the Sylvania LED side view pic really that bright on the ground?The light output for me seems like too much but maybe the camera is the cause.
Odd no illumination at all on the GS.
The last few installs on my Lexus model puddles with the VLED 4LED flanks were perfect.Many on the forums felt the same with their installs but those installs had the LED flanks in more of a horizontal position facing the ground.
It seems the newer Lexus models have the LED on an angle toward the street,true?Yet,stock bulbs hit the side of the GS a bit.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-24-13 at 06:00 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY puddle light led