GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

DIY puddle light led

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 09:00 AM
LEP XEP
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Done

I did it. It's not that difficult to take it apart. Since I am OCD, I want to make sure there are no gaps around the edges so it took me 10 mins to put it back together. FYI, if you have gaps at the bottom chances are your puddle lights are not sink in the right slot. I ended up took the entire mirror cover apart and it gave me some idea to wrap it in carbon vinyl later. See before (right picture) and after (left picture).

Thanks guy.
Attached Thumbnails DIY puddle light led-img_1282.jpg   DIY puddle light led-img_1284.jpg  

Last edited by LEP XEP; 07-12-17 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-11-17, 02:49 PM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I take it the"after" pic is on the left?
Old 07-15-17, 12:25 AM
clcwilson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all who posted tips/advice....It was very helpful. I too have a tip, when putting the mirror back together put some grease on the clips on the back of the mirror. This will help with resecuring the mirror to the backing plate, and removing if you should have to in the future.
Old 07-25-17, 12:00 PM
gridlock13
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tejanp
after doing this mod, my driver's side mirror shakes a lot now. this is also the same side that had the glue. Anybody else experience this ?
My mirror shakes slightly too. I noticed this while on the highway. I thought it was because I may not have pressed in one of the 4 tabs in enough. I'd also like to know if we're the only ones experiencing this.
Old 08-13-17, 10:33 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Does the puddle light only come on at night?
Or does it come on in the day also when you click the unlock button?

I did the DIY, but were I park is near a light, and the puddle lights does not come on. I tested the bulbs before installation in the trunk. I know at least in the trunk if it doesn't turn on you have to flip it.
If they come on every time you unlock then I'll have to flip the bulb on both sides, so I guess I might have to do this DIY again.
Old 08-14-17, 05:15 AM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Does the puddle light only come on at night?
Or does it come on in the day also when you click the unlock button?

I did the DIY, but were I park is near a light, and the puddle lights does not come on. I tested the bulbs before installation in the trunk. I know at least in the trunk if it doesn't turn on you have to flip it.
If they come on every time you unlock then I'll have to flip the bulb on both sides, so I guess I might have to do this DIY again.
unlock your car door and put your hand under the puddle light. if you don't see light then you might have to reverse the bulb.

My mirror shakes slightly too. I noticed this while on the highway. I thought it was because I may not have pressed in one of the 4 tabs in enough. I'd also like to know if we're the only ones experiencing this.
I followed the instructions from the links provided throughout this thread and was able to do it in less than 10 minutes. Really, it was much simpler than i thought it would be. Pop the mirror off, unscrew 4 screws and pull the housing apart that was it. I do no experience any vibrations or shaking on the highway that some have noticed. When popping the mirror off, i DIYed a tool, took a 5mm piece of metal, wrapped it around with electrical tape and used that to pop the mirror off. Doing so popped the mirror off on first try. Are others forcing it a lot more?
Old 08-17-17, 08:14 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by k0kong
unlock your car door and put your hand under the puddle light. if you don't see light then you might have to reverse the bulb.

I followed the instructions from the links provided throughout this thread and was able to do it in less than 10 minutes. Really, it was much simpler than i thought it would be. Pop the mirror off, unscrew 4 screws and pull the housing apart that was it. I do no experience any vibrations or shaking on the highway that some have noticed. When popping the mirror off, i DIYed a tool, took a 5mm piece of metal, wrapped it around with electrical tape and used that to pop the mirror off. Doing so popped the mirror off on first try. Are others forcing it a lot more?

Did this mod again, flipped the bulbs, and they work now
First time it took me 10 minutes on one side and 5 minutes on the other. This time it only took me 3 minutes a side.

It is very easy to do if you remove the back cover. With the cover removed just attach the turn signal bulb and puddle light to the main frame. Then just simply slide the back cover on over everything.
Old 08-18-17, 07:13 AM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
Did this mod again, flipped the bulbs, and they work now
First time it took me 10 minutes on one side and 5 minutes on the other. This time it only took me 3 minutes a side.

It is very easy to do if you remove the back cover. With the cover removed just attach the turn signal bulb and puddle light to the main frame. Then just simply slide the back cover on over everything.
I'm glad that worked out for you! Nothing worse than completing something and finding out that it did not work or isn't as good as before.
Old 08-27-17, 11:58 AM
RC51TOFUMA
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Anyone in SoCal ( Orange County or LA ) would like to do this mod for me on my GS ?
I'll pay $$ for a clean job / install
PM me......

thanks in advance
Old 08-29-17, 07:17 AM
tejanp
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RC51TOFUMA
Anyone in SoCal ( Orange County or LA ) would like to do this mod for me on my GS ?
I'll pay $$ for a clean job / install
PM me......

thanks in advance
to be honest, do this yourself and save some money.. i was skeptical at first but was able to knock it out in 10 mins.
Old 08-29-17, 01:15 PM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tejanp
to be honest, do this yourself and save some money.. i was skeptical at first but was able to knock it out in 10 mins.
I will attempt this over the weekend... seems like an easy DIY?
Old 08-30-17, 08:40 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Can someone take a video showing the level of force required to take off the mirror. People seem to say it requires a scary level of force so I think a lot of people are not sure where it is enough or too much.
Old 08-30-17, 09:34 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by Davenlei
Can someone take a video showing the level of force required to take off the mirror. People seem to say it requires a scary level of force so I think a lot of people are not sure where it is enough or too much.
Don't yank it. Apply constant, ever-increasing, force until it eventually pops off. Just keep increasing the pulling force. You won't break it. It takes a lot...
Old 08-30-17, 12:59 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Don't yank it. Apply constant, ever-increasing, force until it eventually pops off. Just keep increasing the pulling force. You won't break it. It takes a lot...
How much pressure to put it back on? I know those mirrors (ones with BSM light, heater, etc.) are $200 each so I don't want an uh-oh situation.
Old 08-30-17, 01:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
How much pressure to put it back on? I know those mirrors (ones with BSM light, heater, etc.) are $200 each so I don't want an uh-oh situation.
It'll go on easier, but will still require a good degree of force. After you remove it, you won't have any issue whatsoever pushing it back on. You are being overly concerned about something [now] that once you accomplish doing it, you'll look back and see how it was nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: DIY puddle light led