GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Used GS or new ES

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 05:57 AM
Mike218
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used GS or new ES

Been reading these post for awhile. Looking to pick up a UL 350 latter this year. Will be my 1st Lexus after 20 years of Acura's. Coming from a 2005 TSX.

So had pretty much decided on the 2013 ES UL version. Now have been hearing some things about the GS. I know I can't afford the GS new so would have to be used.

Any on shave some insight what direction I should take or things I should think about ?

And maybe the wrong forum, but would consider a 2012 GS

I'm 60,but still enjoy some of the sporty ride of the TSX, but looking for more luxury now

Thanks
Old 01-02-13, 06:18 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you considered maybe waiting a few months to a year until you can get a CPO 2013 GS with a few thousand miles? If there are any used ones now, they probably have low miles and arent much cheaper than a new one.

The 3GS is a nice looking car, but the 4GS is so sick! Worth the wait IMO!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 01-02-13, 06:26 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Ok here is the thing, the price on a used GS is going to be about the same as an ES with some good options like navigation. So my answer to you would be, go with the 13 ES as its gonna be brand new VS a used car. I mean if you were gonna get a used ES and debate it between a used GS then I would say get the GS. Just a true answer that I would do, its up to you just my suggestion.
Old 01-02-13, 06:31 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

coming from a TSX I would suggest the ES. Both being FWD and the ES offering you the Luxury and less sporty ride. But the best thing you can do is go drive both to find out. Used, 4th gen GS, are going to be about the same as a new one. its a certified used car (assuming) so better/longer warranty so the dealer is going charge a premium for this.

Good luck
Old 01-02-13, 06:35 AM
Mike218
Rookie

yes I can wait and get a CPO 2013 GS. I am thinking I would be more comfortable in the AWD version
Old 01-02-13, 06:47 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

go with the new ES as opposed to the used GS.
Old 01-02-13, 07:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

If you like the new ES,go with it over a used GS.
Why buy a dated GS design when the new ES is fresh?
Old 01-02-13, 07:11 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

It really boils down to what you want out of the car. If you want plushness 24/7 then the ES it is. If you want a car that you can throw around every now and then while still maintaining a high level of luxury then I'd go with the GS. I bought my GS used and have no reservations about it. The car was in pristine condition and I saved a couple thousand. CPO GSs are running in the mid fourties in Florida and they're pretty optioned up. Good luck with your choice!
Old 01-02-13, 10:04 AM
Mike218
Rookie

I would probably like the GS AWD but thats out of my range new and I want all the bells and whistles, that is why I was looking at used. Have not driven a GS and don't want to pester the dealers until I am closer to buying. This forum gives me a chance to ask question and learn about the car, so I can sound like I know something when I walk in. I had a salesperson tell me the ML sound, I would never tell the difference and it was a waste of money. I am a audio nit and I know taht sound makes sense.
Old 01-02-13, 10:27 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Well in regards to the ML system I can say that the new GS sounds a whole lot better than the ML system that was in my 3GS, the ES has to be the same it this regard I would say dont waste money on it. I do think you should test drive them as you may not like the ride of trhe GS over the ES as someone stated. The dealer is there for you to do these things test that thing you will have a better perspective on what you want.
Old 01-02-13, 10:41 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike218
I would probably like the GS AWD but thats out of my range new and I want all the bells and whistles, that is why I was looking at used. Have not driven a GS and don't want to pester the dealers until I am closer to buying. This forum gives me a chance to ask question and learn about the car, so I can sound like I know something when I walk in. I had a salesperson tell me the ML sound, I would never tell the difference and it was a waste of money. I am a audio nit and I know taht sound makes sense.
the sales person actually told you that there's no difference in the ML as oppsed to the premium system? i have ML in my GS and i've listened to both systems. IMO there is definitely a difference. go with what you feel is best for you.
Old 01-02-13, 10:53 AM
GtiB
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am not gonna try to change your mind with my comment, but am gonna say the truth as am an ex-ES owner and currently driving 2013 GS ..
The ES FWD is awful, brakes wont be there when u need them !! on the other hand, the GS handling is outstanding even the LS wont handle as good as the GS..
but bottom line, If ur looking for a spacious family car get the ES.
if u want a sporty yet a luxury vehicle get the GS !!
And goodluck with what u pick ! hope its gonna be the right choice for u
Old 01-02-13, 11:16 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

I think I need to make this fact clear from the start : the 2013 GS is very different from the 2012 GS. I haven't driven the 2013 ES but if space especially rear seating is a priority for you, you will hate the 2012 ( 3rd gen) GS. The 2013 ( 4th gen) GS addresses this problem to a large degree but probably will never be as spacious as an ES due to the large transmission tunnel and the rear wheel drive packaging. But IMO it is not a deal breaker as much as it was in the 3rd gen 2012 GS.

As for the ride comfort, the adaptive variable suspension option in the 4th gen GS basically makes all the ride vs handling trade-offs and agonizing-over irrelevant.

You can have a great handling car without having a ride that beats you up. In fact, the greater security and confidence you'll have in the 4GS during road holding might actually reduce driver stress and fatigue. I think someone said it best : a car company never lost a sale because their car handled too well.

My advice would be to forget the 2012 GS and just consider a used 2013 GS vs a new 2013 ES.

Last edited by natnut; 01-02-13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-02-13, 11:17 AM
Mike218
Rookie

Yea, even being in the older age group, I still like to drive sport at times. My commute will go from 2 miles to 30 in the spring and I want a comfy car, but sure would like the fun of my current car from time to time. If money was no object, I am thinking the GS would be mine. Just like the idea of a new car
Old 01-02-13, 12:14 PM
ntocamping
Rookie

Originally Posted by yardie876
It really boils down to what you want out of the car. If you want plushness 24/7 then the ES it is. If you want a car that you can throw around every now and then while still maintaining a high level of luxury then I'd go with the GS. I bought my GS used and have no reservations about it. The car was in pristine condition and I saved a couple thousand. CPO GSs are running in the mid fourties in Florida and they're pretty optioned up. Good luck with your choice!
So you're saying you can get a '13 GS 350 F sport RWD for mid $40's? Any other options like BSM, ML or HUD around your area for that price?

Quick Reply: Used GS or new ES