GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 09:57 PM
XBimR
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard this noise too, first time I thought it was someone throwing a rock at my new ride!

It's always at low speeds, turning into a driveway. A loud pop!

Everything seems fine otherwise, so perhaps it's the brake noise that others have described. I have to think if it was suspension or frame related it would be there in other driving situations.

Going to have it checked it out at my 5k in a couple months.
Old 02-27-13, 09:58 PM
XBimR
Driver

Funny thing is I can drive into the same driveway and there is no noise. Seems random.
Old 02-27-13, 10:37 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Our suspension is rigid and the tires are a little wider. When you back up slowly while turning, your front tires may catch a small rock and slide off of it. I never had that happened to my older GS but I've observed it happens a lot in the same manner.

I'm not sure if it's the compound of the tires or other factors. Next time, open your window while backing out and turning. Pay attention to the tires. It's likely what I had described... just a small pebble will set it off. (I have a clean driveway too, but there will always be one or two pebbles somewhere).

For me, I realized it's not the brakes, as I mentioned prior.

as far as the sound from the sunroof, I only heard it once and never again.
Old 02-27-13, 10:55 PM
ialexxx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Anyone get this problem fixed and the solution? I am getting annoyed by this pop/clunk sound from the left rear wheel when going down my drive way first thing in the morning and driving on an irregular embankment in parking lot which lifts up the left rear when turning on uneven surface at low speed. I will be taking this in in 1-2 weeks to get the suspension looked at or even the brakes. The sound is not coming from the roof panel per the TSB they did repair on.
i am having this same problem... hopefully the roof panel tsb fixes this because its getting pretty annoying
Old 02-28-13, 08:02 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can duplicate it by going down the drive way and turning left on my street and hear the same noise. It's louder first thing in the morning when going down the driveway after the car is parked overnight. It comes about 3/4 time that I do this same route so its not rare occurrence due to a rock. I can feel it slightly in the floorboards when doing this turn and when that pop/clunk happens. I did the sunroof tsb but still there and occupants in the car would say its from the rear in the trunk area and not inside the cabin.
Old 02-28-13, 12:23 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, this is not very comforting to read when we're about to buy one of these. I'm surprised no one here has asked for their dealership to bring in the factory service rep for proper identification and resolution? Is this affecting early and mid production or late too? Sometimes if you don't request the factory rep to be involved it may take many mos or even years for proper resolution.
Thanks
Old 02-28-13, 04:07 PM
betashave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW10ES
I also had this happen one time when pulling into a parking lot with a very steep curb apron when the car flexed. It was REALLY loud and scared the crap out of us.
I experienced this same loud pop/crack sound pulling into a similar steep entry into a parking lot last weekend. I've only heard this happen once, but it's my wife's car so I only drive/ride in it once or twice a week. When it happend, my wife immediately dismissed it as nothing, speculating that it was something we had in the trunk or back seat area. But it's been in the back of my mind ever since. The frustrating part is that it could be happening daily or every other day but I wouldn't know it because the wife doesn't notice it or she dismisses it as something else (not a problem with the car).
Old 02-28-13, 04:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Its only ever happened twice to mine, the second time was not nearly as loud as the first time.

There is a repair, a TSB that is referenced here somewhere. It basically involves removing the whole interior, so I'm going to pass.
Old 02-28-13, 06:22 PM
052SI
Pole Position

What production dates are affected in that TSB and the date the TSB was issued?
Thanks

Last edited by 052SI; 02-28-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-28-13, 06:41 PM
mush
Pole Position

Wow so im not alone... I heard the same noise last week. I was comming out of a parking lot turning left, thought someone threw a rock at my car. Sound came from the back driver side
Old 03-01-13, 03:45 PM
052SI
Pole Position

So if the entire interior needs to be removed, does this mean the repair involves the actual structure needs a weld or something to that effect?

Last edited by 052SI; 03-01-13 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Did you read the TSB posted on the first page?
Old 03-01-13, 03:59 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Yeah I did, it's for the sunroof and someone in this thread said they had it done and it had no effect on the problem and many say the noise is from the rear of the car like something was in the trunk, not the roof area.
Old 03-27-13, 09:02 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got this noise rechecked by my dealer and its not from the sunroof but from the suspension and there is no solution right now... They have contacted the headquarters and will await resolution. Its not as bad as I thought but can be annoying when driving down the driveway and taking a left.
Old 03-28-13, 10:26 PM
HizGSF
Driver

Originally Posted by SimonGS
Nothing yet.. Maybe its a loose transmission?
Do you hear some rattling noise when going over bumps? if we're talking about the same thing, I think it is coming from the front brakes, the pads are rattling in the brake caliper. I applied a light brake pedal pressure, to tighting up the pads, while going over the same bumpy road and the rattling goes away. I noticed the rattling after the dealership serviced the front brake for squeaking noise.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise