GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Strange Noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 07:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

The OP's issue is likely that...

The issue I and a couple other people have described is very different, it is very loud and you can feel it through the structure of the car. You get out and almost expect to see a window cracked or the roof buckled or something. I had a buddy of mine in the car and it shocked us both.
Old 01-04-13, 09:47 AM
James5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

woah i just thought i was going crazy. had something similar happen to me twice in one day, both times i was pulling into a driveway. I thought it was just an acorn or something that had fallen off the tree and hit my car but I guess not. Will follow this thread closely
Old 01-04-13, 11:24 AM
hypnotika
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess we're not alone...please update if anything comes up. I haven't heard the noise in over a month.
Old 01-04-13, 01:42 PM
JbankO
Driver School Candidate

We'll I haven't heard it in a few days. I really would like to know what this is. My GS has like 90 miles on her and is already making crazy noises...Still drives great tho but I am concerned long term that it can't be healthy.
Old 01-04-13, 01:58 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am hearing this popping sound from the rear driver side when going down my driveway and turning left or going up driveway and turning left. I got my sunroof panel replaced under the TSB because i thought it was causing the sound but it isnt.... I am not happy about this. It happens on occassion but when it does its loud and you can feel it a bit in the car.
Old 01-04-13, 05:14 PM
jscgs350
Driver

Interesting thread. I just turned in a GS350 loaner while mine was getting the windows swapped out with acoustic glass for the wind noise issue. I noticed the noise, and I felt it, described here in the loaner while turning left, going forward or backwards, and typically over uneven surfaces like going from my concrete drive to the ashphalt street.

I really, really noticed it a couple times while backing out and turning left in the loaner. I'm headed out shortly with mine, so I'll pay close attention to see if it happens with my car.
Old 01-13-13, 07:42 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Anyone get this issue resolved? The sunroof popping TSB doesnt fix this issue.
Old 01-15-13, 04:30 PM
SimonGS
Driver

Nothing yet.. Maybe its a loose transmission?
Old 01-15-13, 04:42 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I now hear a pop on the passenger side while turning the steering wheel left and reversing on a incline plane, then jumped a 1 inch bump going down the driveway. Still rides normally. I hope its not a ball joint fiasco like the 2gs had.
Old 01-16-13, 07:05 AM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sam430
I now hear a pop on the passenger side while turning the steering wheel left and reversing on a incline plane, then jumped a 1 inch bump going down the driveway. Still rides normally. I hope its not a ball joint fiasco like the 2gs had.
I hear the pop when slight left turn too but from the rear left suspension over a small bump in the parking lot. It does it also when going down driveway onto the road while turning left only which basically lifts the rear end and leans to the right side. Never does it when turning right.
Old 01-16-13, 08:44 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the sound is from the brake. It's probably a combination of holding the brake and dipping on a bump. Any tiny bump will translate the sound.
Old 01-16-13, 09:05 AM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Maybe its like a torsion bar or strut/stabilizing bar or a part of the suspension? I remember on my previous cars when I would make the suspension really tight with strut bars and a stabilizing bar underneath, when I would go up a driveway on an angle, I would hear all sorts of pops and cracking, because those pieces make everything really rigid for great handling but makes the chassis not as flexible. That is my guess.
Old 01-16-13, 09:25 AM
Neogenic
Driver

Originally Posted by SW10ES
The OP's issue is likely that...

The issue I and a couple other people have described is very different, it is very loud and you can feel it through the structure of the car. You get out and almost expect to see a window cracked or the roof buckled or something. I had a buddy of mine in the car and it shocked us both.
Yeap, I thought someone threw a stone at the car first time I heard it. I allways hear it when one rear wheel suspension is higher then the rest and usually when I turn to climb or leave a bump. allways in the rear end by turning in vector.
Old 02-12-13, 10:47 AM
SimonGS
Driver

UPDATE: Went to the dealer, the mechanic test drove the car and said it was the "parking brake shoe'. They can't really do anything about it because its electronic and set to the specifications. He put the parking brake on and off, then drove over the same bumps and no noise. So in conclusion he said they can grease it to make the noise a little less, or just keep auto parking brake on.
Old 02-27-13, 09:18 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Anyone get this problem fixed and the solution? I am getting annoyed by this pop/clunk sound from the left rear wheel when going down my drive way first thing in the morning and driving on an irregular embankment in parking lot which lifts up the left rear when turning on uneven surface at low speed. I will be taking this in in 1-2 weeks to get the suspension looked at or even the brakes. The sound is not coming from the roof panel per the TSB they did repair on.

Quick Reply: Strange Noise