GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hell Lots Of Brake Dusts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 09:10 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
i gotta say how much brake dust do you all get. I get some brake dust which is normal for these performance brakes. BMW is 10x worse I can drive about 5 miles and my rim is completely covered in thick brake dust. Can someone post a pic of the amount of brake dust you get, I'm very curious!
It's not terrible. I traded an Audi S5 for this car and the brake dust with the Audi was worse. I typically wash the wheels every 4 days or so. The back wheels are fine. The front wheels are where the brake dust accumulates. It's a nice "check and balance" to see the difference between the two.
Old 03-28-13, 09:32 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The harder you brake the more dust, more dust (softer pads) generally means less squeak. There was a pad change by Lexus on our IS and they were was much lower dust but had a slight squeak only when cold for the first mile or so then it would completely go away; it was a good compromise.
Old 03-28-13, 10:18 PM
onexcite
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The brake dust and squeak seem going on for awhile (my 3GS had exactly the same problem). Dealer change the pad and machine rotor 5 times. Yes 5 times!

Now my 4GS starting to squeak at low speed braking. My guess go with aftermarket or live with it.

Wonder when Lexus will listen to customer's feedback and do the right things?
Old 03-28-13, 10:26 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite
The brake dust and squeak seem going on for awhile (my 3GS had exactly the same problem). Dealer change the pad and machine rotor 5 times. Yes 5 times!

Now my 4GS starting to squeak at low speed braking. My guess go with aftermarket or live with it.

oh no! don't machine the rotors
Old 03-29-13, 03:51 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
It's not terrible. I traded an Audi S5 for this car and the brake dust with the Audi was worse. I typically wash the wheels every 4 days or so. The back wheels are fine. The front wheels are where the brake dust accumulates. It's a nice "check and balance" to see the difference between the two.
Yeah that's what I'm saying the German cars create a hell of a lot more brake dust and they don't care what you complain about, Lexus actually did listen. Best answer I got was, they are performance brakes what do you expect no brake dust!
Old 04-01-13, 07:36 AM
JOELC
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChuH
http://www.bendixcatalog.com/Applica...13&engine=1383

Never heard of the company Bendix (part of Honeywell).

Maybe the moderator can merge our posts.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-f-sport.html
Hey Great find ChuH! I have a call into them and talked to one of the main catalog guys there. He will look into the fitment and get back to me. He just has to verify if their pads are for the rear wheel set up or the all wheel set up. Fingers crossed!!

Last edited by JOELC; 04-01-13 at 07:38 AM. Reason: 11
Old 04-01-13, 01:17 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Does Lexus not make low dust oem brake pads for the GS?

I have them on my IS and I have almost no brake dust
Old 04-01-13, 01:33 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ronfsp
I have to clean my rims everyday! The front brakes is giving out so much brake dusts! If i dun clean it for a few days my matt black rims will turn greyish & it's PITA to remove the dust! Thought of changing ot the front pads to other brands like Hawk HPS which give out much less dust...
talk about brake dust... i washed the LS saturday morning and by sunday night the wheels were covered with brake dust... i didn't have that problem with the GS. i'm looking into Akebono pads.
Old 04-01-13, 01:45 PM
djpeakSD
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onexcite

Well if you have a Fsport you can take it to the dealer and they will machine your rotors and give you new brake pads, there is a TSB for that squeak. I just got it done last weekend. It does not do anything about brake dust but it does eliminate the squeak.
Old 04-01-13, 02:51 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob4256
Does Lexus not make low dust oem brake pads for the GS?

I have them on my IS and I have almost no brake dust
Exactly...this is what I said earlier, if the IS can get oem low dust/low noise then why not the GS?

I'd still also like to know if the new GS replacement pads are lower dust. Our GSFS is a late production (late jan 2013), so far it appears there is not that much dust production and since we are out of the VIN range for the TSB then maybe the new pads are lower dust.

Last edited by 052SI; 04-01-13 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-03-13, 02:15 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

Just wanted to share I just got my GS back from the dealership over the weekend. There is an updated TSB. Dealer replaced my pads and I believe resurfaced the rotors aswell, need to double check the paperwork when I get home.

The TSB did eliminate the brake squeak from low speeds coming to a stop; there also seems to be slightly less brake dust around the wheels.
Old 04-04-13, 07:28 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

The brake dust on this car is horrible. After a few days of driving, rims a dirty again. Seriously considering ceramic pads.
Old 04-04-13, 08:25 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
The brake dust on this car is horrible. After a few days of driving, rims a dirty again. Seriously considering ceramic pads.
Remember when German car drivers put up with the brake dust because their cars were the best-driving cars in the segment? Now, we are those drivers, with all the good and bad that comes with it.
Old 04-04-13, 10:28 PM
052SI
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JoshIS408
Just wanted to share I just got my GS back from the dealership over the weekend. There is an updated TSB. Dealer replaced my pads and I believe resurfaced the rotors aswell, need to double check the paperwork when I get home.

The TSB did eliminate the brake squeak from low speeds coming to a stop; there also seems to be slightly less brake dust around the wheels.
Thanks for the update...keep us posted on the dust.
Old 04-05-13, 03:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm going to change to ceramics...not gonna let them resurface me rotors even if it's a few mm.

Quick Reply: Hell Lots Of Brake Dusts!!!