GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Custom splash screen pic?

Old 01-02-13, 08:09 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mush
lol the pic only shows up for what? 5 seconds? i just used one of the stock animated one
Yeah, no kidding. It would be nice to have a custom pic there but it would be gone before I backed out of my garage.
Old 01-02-13, 08:25 PM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

When I want it there longer or all the time, I use DisplayOffImage and turn the display off.
Old 01-02-13, 08:29 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ahhhh, good to know. Thanks!
Old 01-02-13, 08:40 PM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
When I want it there longer or all the time, I use DisplayOffImage and turn the display off.
what do you mean turn the display off?
Old 01-03-13, 08:08 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by modthispny
what do you mean turn the display off?
Like StartUpImage, you can also upload 3 images for DisplayOffImage. After uploaded, you can go to Menu and turn the display off. When it's off, it will display the image that you loaded for DisplayOffImage. You won't see anything else except the image on the screen. But when you make change (like drive modes, audio, calls...) it will push your image to the navi's area and show the info on the right.
Old 01-03-13, 09:07 AM
modthispny
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bnlexus
Like StartUpImage, you can also upload 3 images for DisplayOffImage. After uploaded, you can go to Menu and turn the display off. When it's off, it will display the image that you loaded for DisplayOffImage. You won't see anything else except the image on the screen. But when you make change (like drive modes, audio, calls...) it will push your image to the navi's area and show the info on the right.
got it, thanks!
Old 01-03-13, 03:19 PM
SoCal1984
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good information. I am curious if anyone has figured out how to get animations to work.
Old 01-06-13, 12:14 PM
bdizfiz
Driver School Candidate

I, too, followed the (sparse) instructions in the manual but got nowhere. I've tried with a Mac and PC, and used my own images, plus the ones in this thread. The car always says there are no images to download.

Does anyone who was successful with this want to detail exactly what you did?

Specifically:
-What format did you use on the drive and with what kind of machine (Windows, Mac, FAT-32, WinFS, etc)?
-What capacity was it (some devices can't recognize memory cards over a certain capacity, so maybe that's part of the problem)?
-What resolution was the image?
What was the file size?
What was the file format, and what extension was on it (e.g. jpg vs jpeg)?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm trying to figure out what part of what I'm doing might be off, and the manual gives no guidance about limitations. I'd really like to put my own image in there.
Old 07-18-14, 03:50 PM
magnvs
Driver School Candidate

I see this is an old thread but i'll leave this here in case anybody else is looking for the info. i just did this on mine:

the images have to be in a certain directory on your usb drive. The directory names are case sensitive.

for the startup image: StartupImage
for the screen off image: DisplayOffImage

I think the system checks for any files with a .jpg or .jpeg extension. This may be why some people using Macs had problems. If the filename doesn't contain an extension, then the system probably won't find it.

I used an image size of 1280x480 and it fit perfectly.

Hope that helps!
Old 07-21-14, 02:17 AM
bdizfiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by magnvs
for the startup image: StartupImage
for the screen off image: DisplayOffImage

I think the system checks for any files with a .jpg or .jpeg extension. This may be why some people using Macs had problems. If the filename doesn't contain an extension, then the system probably won't find it.

I used an image size of 1280x480 and it fit perfectly.

Hope that helps!
That's wildly helpful. Nothing in the manual mentions the directories, which are definitely crucial. Thank you!

And FYI, the Mac uses file extensions. It just doesn't always show them (you can turn this on and off in Finder preferences). It can support the .jpeg and .jpg extension for JPEGs.