GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Was Ready to Purchase a GS!!

Old 12-22-12, 03:21 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Was Ready to Purchase a GS!!

So I was at my local dealership for a service and as I was waiting I noticed a GS 350 RWD in the showroom, the interior was excellent, the price wasn't so bad either. When it came to numbers that's where everything went downhill, they offered me 16K for my 07 GS450h Hybrid. Are these the numbers some are getting for their trades or is it just towards GS 450h's. I told them I'd rather wait to allow a loss on my car than take the new GS with less HP. I did leave sad as I did actually want to purchase it but it just didn't make sense to lose that much. Would love to know what yall are getting for trade numbers.
Old 12-22-12, 03:33 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you'll most likely get less for a hybrid trade in as opposed to a non hybrid trade in. don't the hybrids depreciate much more than the non hybrids? your first instinct was to buy it? then go get it. later on you might say to yourself "damn why didn't i get that car".

Last edited by sydtoosic; 12-22-12 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 04:10 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
you'll most likely get less for a hybrid trade in as opposed to a non hybrid trade in. don't the hybrids depreciate much more than the non hybrids? your first instinct was to buy it? then go get it. later on you might say to yourself "damn why didn't i get that car".
Lol for some reason I was gonna in the buy mode and after they gave me that trade in price it kinda turned me away. I don't know I'm gonna check a different dealership that has an F-Sport in my color and interior color. I'll see how that goes maybe they will give me 17K, Crossing my fingers.
Old 12-22-12, 04:16 PM
ECL
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
So I was at my local dealership for a service and as I was waiting I noticed a GS 350 RWD in the showroom, the interior was excellent, the price wasn't so bad either. When it came to numbers that's where everything went downhill, they offered me 16K for my 07 GS450h Hybrid. Are these the numbers some are getting for their trades or is it just towards GS 450h's. I told them I'd rather wait to allow a loss on my car than take the new GS with less HP. I did leave sad as I did actually want to purchase it but it just didn't make sense to lose that much. Would love to know what yall are getting for trade numbers.
For whatever it is worth, Consumerreports.com gives your car an average trade in value of over $20k! See what Carmax offers?
Old 12-22-12, 04:20 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

A lot of factors involved.Mileage,condition,options,Carfax etc.
Plus NE dealers use the Galves book for trade ins.It's usually a lot less than KBB and others.
Old 12-22-12, 04:45 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Lol for some reason I was gonna in the buy mode and after they gave me that trade in price it kinda turned me away. I don't know I'm gonna check a different dealership that has an F-Sport in my color and interior color. I'll see how that goes maybe they will give me 17K, Crossing my fingers.
i knew you were in the buying mood. the end of the month is upon us and you know what that means. go get that car young man. can't wait to see pics posted of your new whip.
Old 12-22-12, 05:30 PM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by ECL
For whatever it is worth, Consumerreports.com gives your car an average trade in value of over $20k! See what Carmax offers?
Yeah I think they told me it was because the auction prices where so low, this is coming from the dealership that I have bought 5 cars from. We don't have a carmax the closest one is in Connecticut, which would be a troop.
Old 12-22-12, 05:35 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The longer you wait, the less your car will cost
Old 12-22-12, 06:23 PM
matt2421
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

been there and i feel your pain. I realize there are alot of salesman on this site and they are not going to want to hear this but they are not your friends! i dont care how nice or friendly they are, they are there for one reason, to seperate you from as much of your money as possible!!!

My story...i had a '06 RWD GS 430 with 73K miles. I did my homework and i had several resources saying my car was worth between 19 and 21k. those sources were Edmunds, Kelly blue book, auto trader and my credit union (USAA). I went into my normal Lexus dealer and they offered me 16.5K. I was shocked at first which quickly turned into anger as i saw an '07 GS 350 on thier lot with 90k miles listed for 25K. i brought this to the attention of the used car manager and he tried to explain to me that the car that was for sale was an AWD, and a year newer thats why it was worth 9k more. I then told him i had resources that said my car was worth more. He then asked what those sources were and i told him.he then told me that those sources do not buy and sell cars on daily basis like he does for the delarship and that while those sources give you a ballpark price, the price that he offered was the true value of my car. So, no matter what i would have said he had an answer for it, just like a stereotypical used car salesman. Needless to say they lost my business. I wrote to Lexus about my episode with this dealer and i got a call back from the delaer about a week later and he said re-evaluted my car and then offered me 17.5k. At this point i was so upset with that dealership that i wasnt going to do business with them at all. Anyway, i shopped around to 5 different Lexus dealerships in the DC area and i finally got a dealer to offer me 19k. It was on the low end of my range but the delaer agreed to throw in remote start and transfer my aftermarket wheels from my old car to the new one for free. moral of the story, while there are a few good dealers out there, most are out there to screw you...so...shop around.
Old 12-22-12, 06:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

been there and i feel your pain. I realize there are alot of salesman on this site and they are not going to want to hear this but they are not your friends! i dont care how nice or friendly they are, they are there for one reason, to seperate you from as much of your money as possible!!!
You're right, they aren't your friends. You're involved in a business transaction and negotiation with them, and they will try and maximize their benefit...just as you are trying to maximize yours. Where I think it gets unfair is when consumers try and villify the car dealership for trying to do this, when this is exactly what they as consumers are trying to do.

People seem to think the dealership SHOULD be their friend in a negotiation. Business doesn't work that way.

Knowledge is power. You have to know what your car is worth, look around the lot, what do they have? What is it listed for? Remember that the sticker price on the lot is not the price they will sell it for, find cars on the internet. You will find that the same dealer will have one price on the sicker, and a lower price listed on the internet as an "internet price". Remember the dealer needs to make a profit on the car too. If cars similar to yours are selling for $20k, then I would say $17k would be an offer you should take all day long.

Understand online resources like KBB are worthless and over-value cars, you have to look at what dealers and private parties are selling cars for yourself, find out what they are selling for at auction and you'll know what its worth. When trading a Lexus at a Lexus dealer, unless its real old or high mileage, auction values are pointless since they will put the car on their own lot. They'll use auction values to talk you down, talk it back up using examples of similar Lexus vehicles on Lexus dealer lots in your area.

I was given $25k for my 2010 ES and they have it listed for $28k on the net, 31k on the lot...very fair IMHO.

If the dealer let you leave, then he couldn't do the deal. If he could do the deal within what you wanted for the car...he would. Dealer offered me $2k less than we agreed to originally, I showed him the identical car on his lot with the 5k less miles for $32k sticker and $29k internet...he didnt have a lot of ammo.

Don't make it personal.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-22-12 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-22-12, 06:56 PM
mush
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dealers like carmax usually give u more for ur car... u can get the $$ in cash

in houston theres carmax and "texas direct auto".
texas direct auto offered pretty close to KBB for my dads truck
carmax offered closer to KBB for my moms SUV
Old 12-22-12, 06:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Totally depends. I've done really well with Carmax, and really poorly. Carmax's prices on their inventory are very high in my experience, which can benefit you.

I got $2,500 more than any dealer offer for our 2004 Prius from Carmax (damn near private party), whereas they were lower than the dealer on both of my previous Lexus cars. It depends on what moves well on their lots. People shopping late model luxury cars like to buy them CPO from the dealer, thats why theres such a swing between CPO price and other dealer prices.
Old 12-22-12, 07:00 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW10ES
Totally depends. I've done really well with Carmax, and really poorly. Carmax's prices on their inventory are very high in my experience, which can benefit you.

I got $2,500 more than any dealer offer for our 2004 Prius from Carmax (damn near private party), whereas they were lower than the dealer on both of my previous Lexus cars. It depends on what moves well on their lots. People shopping late model luxury cars like to buy them CPO from the dealer, thats why theres such a swing between CPO price and other dealer prices.

and then there's the trade in sales tax savings....
Old 12-22-12, 07:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Absolutely, but I believe that depends on the state. Saved me $1500! So Carmax would have to be more than $1,500 more than Lexus to make it worth it. The dealers know that too, you have to be firm that you insist on benefitting from the sales tax savings you already paid for, not them.
Old 12-22-12, 07:34 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea values have dropped on the h. Sad such a nice car is taking a hit but I would wait it out a bit and keep pushing dealers. Someone wants your car and will pay for it. Not every used car manager/wholesaler is afraid of your car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Was Ready to Purchase a GS!!