GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Was Ready to Purchase a GS!!

Old 12-23-12, 05:48 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Lol the salesmen said the same thing, I said silver has always been my choice. The only first is I have never owned a AWD GS so not sure how the difference will be but I guess I will see. Hey I was looking through the options the salesmen gave me and I see Bi-Xenon lights but does the F-Sport not come with adaptive lighting.
no, the F Sport does not have that option. it does have the auto leveling feature.
Old 12-23-12, 06:03 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats!! you did pretty good on the trade in...Hopefully, you did great on the purchase price on the F sport as well
Old 12-23-12, 06:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Lol the salesmen said the same thing, I said silver has always been my choice. The only first is I have never owned a AWD GS so not sure how the difference will be but I guess I will see. Hey I was looking through the options the salesmen gave me and I see Bi-Xenon lights but does the F-Sport not come with adaptive lighting.
Yeah the adaptive lights only come with the luxury package.

I'm interested to know your thoughts about the AWD as well. My buddy who got the 2010 GS350 AWD the same day I got my GS had a 2000 GS400, which was obviously RWD and he says he feels the front involved in the throttle and handling a little more than he'd like. I'm coming out of the FWD ES so its hard for me to say if thats the case...
Old 12-23-12, 07:13 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad it all worked out
Old 12-23-12, 08:14 PM
matt2421
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

First off, let me applaud you for coming to the defense of the multi billion dollar auto industry, i guess its refreshing to see a little guy on thier side. The guy was offered 16k from one dealer and then got 23k. The fact that you dont see this as personal and completely within business ethics is refreshing, i guess. I dont know about you, but 7k is alot of money to me. I dont think its alot when compared to the hundreds of millions or billions Lexus makes per year, im glad your coming to the defense of the salesman who made this offer, good on you SW10ES

Originally Posted by SW10ES
What data do you have that shows the car would have been listed for $25k and sold for $23-24k? Do you have comparable cars on the lot at this particular dealer and within the area that shows that? It can't be a car thats AWD vs RWD and a model year newer. RWD vs AWD in our region is a HUGE value differential.
I looked at the used car website where i traded my car in at and it was listed for $24,995

If they make $7k and you're happy with the deal, who cares? We're all out there working to make a living. Don't worry about their profit margins, worry about structuring a deal that checks all your boxes. Hell, if you want to get top dollar, you can always spend your time advertising the car, being there for test drives, answering phone calls, dealing with no shows.
I care...I was looking to help a fellow board member out. I would surely like someone to help me save 7K when buying a new car. The guy was offered 16k for his beautiful '07 GS450H and his visceral reaction was that he was low balled and turns out he was correct. We should start listing who these dealers are so we can warn future consumers not to go to them.

Your logic doesn't hold up. If it would have been so easy to make a deal with you where they could make $5-7k on the trade as well as the new car, if they're all "money grubbing" as you suggest...why didn't they do that? Its Sales 101 to never let the prospect leave without giving them your best pitch.
sorry buddy, wrong again and i never used "money grubbing", i called them villains and to what logic specifically are you talking about? "Its Sales 101 to never let the prospect leave without giving them your best pitch", well they let me walk out with just one offer on my trade in. They did not try to negotiate with me, they just tried to sell me excuses as to why they made such a low ball offer...lets see, do i want to work with someone who wants to negotiate, or someone who acts like a stereotypical car salesman?

If they let you leave, your expectations of a deal weren't feasible for them, I promise you that.
they let me leave with just one offer on my trade, they didnt try to counter. I had the full intention of buying a car that day, i had 60k burning a hole in my pocket and they let me walk. The fact that i own a new 2013 GS should prove this statement in case you were wondering

I just bought one of these cars and traded a car, and I've been in sales my whole life. When I put down for them what my bottom line was on the car, the deal, and the trade, they met it because they knew it was that or no deal. My position however was within the confines of the data on all fronts and was a doable deal. Like I said, they marked my trade up $3k which I think is more than reasonable.
good for you...i wasnt responding to your post. I was responding to a post that had an earily similar situation that i faced. Rather then let the guy take a huge loss on his trade, i offered my personal experience in the situation. I also offered my opinion of the dealer who tried to screw me over.

Probably a coincidence. The dealers are all independently owned, and Lexus corp doesn't have any say in situations like this. Its simple supply and demand. The dealer was negotiating with you, just like you were negotiating with them. They're not going to open up with their best offer...they'd be stupid to do so.
OK, but when the dealer is offering a similar car as mine on thier lot for 9k more i have a problem.

Its not personal, its business. The dealer was trying to maximize their profit, you are trying to minimize your cost. So...by the same logic wasn't your negotiating an additional $2,500 for your trade trying to seperate the dealer from their profit? Was that personal? You speak as if someone owes you the best price and terms available...you don't get what you deserve in life...you get what you negotiate.
Again, i wasnt responding to your post, i was responding to someone who felt like they were getting screwed over by a dealership that makes millions upon millions of dolars a year. So i was trying to help the little guy save a few thousand dollars, i am glad you pointed that out. Thanks again for coming to the defense of the big brother corporate world

Its not a question of just making money. Its not enough to simply "make money" if you want to run a successful business. Its all about profit margins, they have to make a certain amount of money to make the deal work, otherwise they'll just sell it to the next person. The minimum threshold of profit that will work for them depends on the specific car you're interested in, time of the month, time of the year, incentives available, and demand for your trade. Maybe the dealer you did the deal with had someone looking for a CPO car similar to yours? Maybe they had less inventory and needed more? You have no way of knowing.
I dont care what the dealer wanted!!! the dealer makes miliions upon millions of dollars a year. I am spending 60k of my hard earned money on a brand new car, the dealer needs to know i have plenty of options but i chose them. They need to honor that and cater to me!!!

Its not stealing, they made you an offer, you refused, and you both parted ways without a deal being done. It happens.
What about the consumers who arent informed and are paying these prices? i get it, "theres a sucker born every minute". Listen, there are two sides to these deals, the salesman and the consumer. I choose the side of the consumer every time and if i can arm them with some information to save them some of their hard earned money and keep it away from the multi million dollar corporations i am going to do it.

You gotta look at these things with a little more professional detachment. By your logic, your insistence on your numbers in a deal makes you just as much a villain as a car salesman. If you come into it with all the data, a willingness to negotiate, and the chip off your shoulder it'll be a lot less painful and a lot more successful.
No i dont, what happened to the customer is always correct? I am spending 60k on a new car i need the dealer to cater to me, not try to sell me why my car isnt worth what the industry standards say. i am glad you think the consumer is just as much a villain as the multi million dollar corporation, it makes my point completely.

Last edited by matt2421; 12-23-12 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-23-12, 08:16 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok so I guess today was a good day. Carmax sucks they offered me 15k lower than my other offer. I went to the dealership that I service my car at and they offered me 23K so guess it worked out. I will post pics, hopefully I can pic it up tomorrow but most likely they are saying after christmas.
Very happy it all worked out for you and that you got a much better trade in, and best of all... a new GS F Sport! I've been following this saga like the Harry Potter series. You will love the car. Great choice!
Old 12-23-12, 09:36 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Did you buy the '13? Why is it in your signature? If you haven't noticed already go on other sites and see how much 3rd gen GS' are going for... I understand you have a hybrid but you can pick up a third gen relatively cheap these days.
Old 12-23-12, 09:38 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 111 Likes on 52 Posts

Oops read through the last page! Congrats on the new 13!!
Old 12-23-12, 11:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by matt2421
First off, let me applaud you for coming to the defense of the multi billion dollar auto industry, i guess its refreshing to see a little guy on thier side.
I'm not in any way coming to the defense of the auto industry, I'm just saying that there are two sides to every situation, and I approach a business negotiation as that...a business negotiation. Nothing could ever be personal...its just business. They are going to try and put themselves in as strong a position as they can, and I will do the same. Thats how a negotiation works. If you expect a car dealer or anyone else you are involved in a negotiation with to negotiate against themselves...you shouldn't be negotiating...lets just put it that way.

He got his $23k...its the first dealer's loss. Its not personal, the first dealer was not as motivated as the second dealer. Good for him that he contacted the second dealer. Remember that Carmax came in lower than the first dealer.

I don't care about the auto industry, I don't even give it or the state of it a second thought. All I care about is my deal.

I dont know about you, but 7k is alot of money to me. I dont think its alot when compared to the hundreds of millions or billions Lexus makes per year, im glad your coming to the defense of the salesman who made this offer, good on you SW10ES
$7k is a lot of money, which is why its worth getting a few appraisals. Talking to that third dealer made the OP $7k more...which is awesome. However, you also have no idea what kind of deal he got on the new GS. That difference in the trade in offer can be made up easily if you don't know what they're doing with the numbers. He comes in all up on his trade, they realize thats a hot button issue for him, they inflate the trade value, but inflate the value on the new GS and present it in payments or something, inflate the APR or money factor...easy to do. Without knowing the nuts and bolts of both deals we cannot know how he did...he may have been better off overall with the $16k offer from the first dealer!

"Its Sales 101 to never let the prospect leave without giving them your best pitch", well they let me walk out with just one offer on my trade in. They did not try to negotiate with me, they just tried to sell me excuses as to why they made such a low ball offer...lets see, do i want to work with someone who wants to negotiate, or someone who acts like a stereotypical car salesman?
Did you make a counter-offer backed up with your analysis of the market value? They low balled my trade at first too, I made a counter offer backed up with my analysis of recent sales and current CPO inventory at their and their competitors dealers and they accepted. Successful negotiation.

They won't negotiate against themselves. If they have made an offer, its your turn to counter. They say $16.5...you say $21k for instance. Again...you have your car so you obviously did the deal somewhere. Why are you angry? Life is too short to be angry. Enjoy your car.

OK, but when the dealer is offering a similar car as mine on thier lot for 9k more i have a problem.
Then use that fact to negotiate a higher price for your trade, and if you cannot...move on to another dealer or wait for another time. Pretty simple. Say "Thank you for the offer, but as you can see you have this car on your lot for $9k more, so I'm going to need $6k more than your original offer to make it work. Then stop talking and wait for them to respond. Let the silence just hang there, first to speak looses.

Again, i wasnt responding to your post, i was responding to someone who felt like they were getting screwed over by a dealership that makes millions upon millions of dolars a year. So i was trying to help the little guy save a few thousand dollars, i am glad you pointed that out. Thanks again for coming to the defense of the big brother corporate world
I dont care what the dealer wanted!!! the dealer makes miliions upon millions of dollars a year.
So its wrong that the dealer makes "millions and millions of dollars"? If you can afford a $60k car, you do pretty well yourself. Is that wrong? I suppose you make your money handing out mosquito nets in Africa?

Also bear in mind that if you are buying a $60k car, it stands to reason that nobody you will interact with at the dealer makes even half what you make. This idea that a band of millionaires are conspiring to separate you from your $7k is a little far fetched.

I am spending 60k of my hard earned money on a brand new car, the dealer needs to know i have plenty of options but i chose them. They need to honor that and cater to me!!!
LMAO...the world doesn't work that way. Exercise your "plenty of options" if the dealer doesn't want to do the deal you want. If nobody will do your deal...then your deal isn't a realistic deal. Nobody owes you anything...nobody needs to or will cater to you. You're buying a car, not checking into a spa.

What about the consumers who arent informed and are paying these prices? i get it, "theres a sucker born every minute". Listen, there are two sides to these deals, the salesman and the consumer. I choose the side of the consumer every time and if i can arm them with some information to save them some of their hard earned money and keep it away from the multi million dollar corporations i am going to do it.
Quite frankly...if a consumer goes to buy a $60,000 car without any knowledge of what they should pay...then they deserve to get screwed. Its a serious purchase, a serious business transaction and it needs to be treated as such. You need to do research beforehand so you know what is and is not a fair deal. I saw a guy come in when I was picking up mine and they were like "I'm here to buy a car, do you have a red one?" Incredible.

Thats business, if a consumer is happy to pay full price then a business is going to sell them a product or service at full price. Thats capitalism. If you want to take the time and effort to become a savvy, informed consumer then you will be able to negotiate a better deal. Its up to you.

Lets say you had your house for sale for $400,000 but you would really take $380,000. A buyer asks you how much your house is. What do you say, $400k or $380k? What if they offer you $390k? Do you just say "Thanks, but I had decided in my head I would sell it for $380k, so I would prefer you pay me that"?

am spending 60k on a new car i need the dealer to cater to me, not try to sell me why my car isnt worth what the industry standards say.
I just don't get this need to have people "cater" to you. I bought a $60,000 car because it was a great car, not to have some car salesman kiss my feet and pretend he agrees with me. I don't care whether he agrees or not. I don't understand the victim mentality. You have the money they need, you are in control. You control your feet and the pen that writes the check so you are the boss. If you don't like the way they are treating you...leave. You speak as if you have been victimized by car dealers and I am telling you that if you have the knowledge, and the strength to say no, you can NEVER be victimized by anyone.

A Lexus is not something you need to have to live, the dealer is not gouging you on medicine or something. You need some perspective.

This is not going anywhere. I'm not going to post in this thread again except to discuss the OP's new car with him. I would ask you to let it drop for his benefit as well.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-23-12 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-24-12, 04:20 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

So, the price I got on the new GS was $58,200 before taxes and fees. That was the best they would do the car stickered at $59,845. I'm happy with the deal.
Old 12-24-12, 05:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

So, the price I got on the new GS was $58,200 before taxes and fees. That was the best they would do the car stickered at $59,845. I'm happy with the deal.
Now here's the thing.
The GS is going easily for invoice and under.So you paid about $4K more.You also get a $1500 loyalty incentive.First month's payment too.
So you got that $16.5K or $17K for your trade.
You should always get a purchase price and then mention your trade.

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-24-12 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-24-12, 06:42 AM
mush
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... Were u in a rush to buy?

But if ur happy then im happy
Old 12-24-12, 06:50 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by mush
Wow... Were u in a rush to buy?

But if ur happy then im happy
Yeah kinda was, but the good thing is I haven't signed papers yet, they have the money on hold and the papers haven't been signed because of the holidays being tomorrow nothing can really be done. So I do have a chance to get a better price, I'm open to idea's.

Also that price does not include the trade in sorry forgot to say that. What is the invoice on this car, It has Blind spot monitoring, glass breakage sensor, engine remote starter and the f-sport package.
Old 12-24-12, 07:18 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah kinda was, but the good thing is I haven't signed papers yet, they have the money on hold and the papers haven't been signed because of the holidays being tomorrow nothing can really be done. So I do have a chance to get a better price, I'm open to idea's.

Also that price does not include the trade in sorry forgot to say that. What is the invoice on this car, It has Blind spot monitoring, glass breakage sensor, engine remote starter and the f-sport package.
Invoice is around $55600.Deduct the $1500 loyalty incentive and it's a $54100 number.Also Lexus makes your first payment.
Better do the numbers with the dealer again or you're getting the trade in number you were pissed off about.
Holiday tomorrow means nothing.A dealer would want you to make the deal and take delivery today.
Old 12-24-12, 07:53 AM
bigblack06

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Invoice is around $55600.Deduct the $1500 loyalty incentive and it's a $54100 number.Also Lexus makes your first payment.
Better do the numbers with the dealer again or you're getting the trade in number you were pissed off about.
Holiday tomorrow means nothing.A dealer would want you to make the deal and take delivery today.
Ok, Wow thats huge difference, most likely I will have to wait as they close at 2PM today and I'm at work until 3PM. so I should be around 54k or 55K well if this doesnt work I'm most likely gonna sell my GS outside on my own and work without the 450h as a trade-in. I do value your help thanks all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Was Ready to Purchase a GS!!