GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Saying I got my car for Invoice or Below Dealer Cost should be BANNED

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 07:12 PM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Saying I got my car for Invoice or Below Dealer Cost should be BANNED

I am surprised how many people boast about what a good deal they got and then only post "Invoice" , "Below Invoice" , "Dealer Cost , or "Below Dealer Cost".

Really, if you are sure you got a great deal why not list the sticker price on the car, what you paid out the door, (separately listing the purchase price of the car, taxes, any rebates and other dealer add-ons, trade-in, etc).

Everybody wants to brag about how they put one over on the dealer and how great of a negotiator they are. But realistically what do the above terms mean without actual numbers? How can anyone tell what they are using for Invoice or Dealer Cost.

I know there are prices on the Internet but even those vary!

Last edited by MJA1951; 12-08-12 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-08-12, 07:28 PM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid 54,384 F sport.

Sticker was 56,538

they wouldn't budge after that and I wanted the car.

PS, I went through all my files to find this information for you. I want a damn x-mas cookie now
Old 12-08-12, 07:42 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

OP, you making a point here or just complaining?
Old 12-08-12, 07:55 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Have you checked, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-get-43.html ? Many posts in that thread are pretty detailed. And you can easily figure out the OTD price, based on the numbers posted.
Old 12-08-12, 10:43 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Have you checked, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ou-get-43.html ? Many posts in that thread are pretty detailed. And you can easily figure out the OTD price, based on the numbers posted.
I think he trying to say is that people not putting the sticker price of the car and then what they paid otd. I think OP have a point when people trying to see whats a good OTD price they want to see whats the sticker price too so if their own dealer have almost the same sticker price they can make an their own offer by the price u guys give.
Old 12-09-12, 06:29 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

My point is that most people don't really know what they paid and if they made such a great deal why not just put the numbers down. There are also factors like when you bought the car and what part of the country you are in.

I just think dealers love people who think they know more than the dealers because once they are done with add-ons, trade in, financing, etc. the price people pay is way different than they thought.

Here are the numbers on our car bought in Sept.

GS Sticker price $56003

Cash Price $52337
Rebate $ 1500
Total $50837

Nitrogen $ 50
Doc Fee $ 139
Tax $ 3808
License trans $ 120

A great deal? No but the best we could do. The dealer wouldn't budge on the Nitrogen and since they were $400 less than the other dealers in the area I was OK with this. This dealership was 80 miles away. I went to the other dealers in the area and no one would match it..

So is this a Great Deal, Under Invoice, or below Dealer cost? Who cares and what is more important, words or numbers?

It was a car we wanted and the best price I could find and it doesn;t matter if people think we fleeced the dealer!
Old 12-09-12, 08:07 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MJA1951
My point is that most people don't really know what they paid and if they made such a great deal why not just put the numbers down. There are also factors like when you bought the car and what part of the country you are in.

I just think dealers love people who think they know more than the dealers because once they are done with add-ons, trade in, financing, etc. the price people pay is way different than they thought.

Here are the numbers on our car bought in Sept.

GS Sticker price $56003

Cash Price $52337
Rebate $ 1500
Total $50837

Nitrogen $ 50
Doc Fee $ 139
Tax $ 3808
License trans $ 120

A great deal? No but the best we could do. The dealer wouldn't budge on the Nitrogen and since they were $400 less than the other dealers in the area I was OK with this. This dealership was 80 miles away. I went to the other dealers in the area and no one would match it..

So is this a Great Deal, Under Invoice, or below Dealer cost? Who cares and what is more important, words or numbers?

It was a car we wanted and the best price I could find and it doesn;t matter if people think we fleeced the dealer!
MJA...I coulnt agree more with your comments....too many people are sadly mistaken on what invoice is. As you mentioned the key is if you do your homework and you get to a price point that is best you are able to do for that veh in a particular region...be satisfied. I was able to recently purchase RX350-2013 for my wife at just over 10% disc before the $ 1000.00 Lexus Finance Incentive, it was good deal for me and didnt try to beg for more, was just careful at the end they didnt tag on any xtra $$'s that werent needed.I rather not even mention the dealer or Salesman because this was a Private transaction not a blue light Special. Again as you stated ea Region, deal, has its own circumstances and work from there. BTW I think you made a very good transaction....hoping to be in a GS -2014-2015 WHEN times comes, nothing wrong with current Es350 as my daily commute.. Your insight is appreciated. Enjoy the Ride !

Last edited by JRey350hou; 12-09-12 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-09-12, 09:09 AM
Nexson
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, nitrogen is the biggest waste.

And gotta love how the guy is trying to selling me a maintainence plan, saying it includes tire rotations, on a car that has a staggered setup.
Old 12-09-12, 09:13 AM
Vasili
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My GS luxury model was $67,083 and change. Something like $2,000 under MSRP.

Definitely above invoice, but not by too much...

I was offered my Riviera Red car for that price. If I wanted black on black, as was my original desire, they told me they could only take 1200 off MSRP, because they had none in stock.
Old 12-09-12, 11:34 AM
MJA1951
Pit Crew

I agree the Nitrogen is a waste (and I told them that) but like I said they were $400 less than any other deal I could get so that still put me $350 under any other price.
Old 12-09-12, 04:08 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No matter what the numbers are if you as the buyer feel like you got a good deal then you got a good deal!!!
The dealer is always gonna come out ahead as with any business. They're there to make a profit whether it be small or large now being a wise consumer and doing your homework adds a slight benefit to you but again for most people that think they "got over" on the dealer you are certainly mistaken.
Old 12-09-12, 07:26 PM
Hockyguy4u
Driver School Candidate

It doesnt matter what you paid. The build quality and materials alone make this car an exceptional value. The interior quality is up there with cars that cost $100K or more Go look at the Maserati Quadraporte and compare. Then test this car against a $50K 3-series with its rental-car interior, or even against a $60-$70K 5-series.
So even if you paid MSRP, you got a great deal.
Old 12-09-12, 08:41 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The bottom line is, I got the car I wanted (ordered), and for me time is money so I would rather be enjoying the car or getting on with life rather than dickering over a couple thousand $$. I could have waited to get a lower price, but I've been enjoying the car since March and the model year is really long, so that in itself makes it worth it for me..

Also, what is important is you feel you got the value you deserved for the price you paid. I certainly do.
Old 12-10-12, 12:51 PM
James5
Driver School Candidate

I paid $46,400 for my Nebula Gray/Flaxen...The sticker on my exact car was $53,400
Old 12-16-12, 07:17 AM
ExtrmeLex
Rookie

Sticker was $59,976 and paid $53,500 but they threw in winter mats, including all service till 30,000 miles.
This was not including tax title registration

Quick Reply: Saying I got my car for Invoice or Below Dealer Cost should be BANNED