GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS350 Night Vision video

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 05:23 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default GS350 Night Vision video

As promised, here is the short video I made tonight. Not a lot of action there, but you'll be able to see the difference.

Oh and please excuse my noisy jacket

Link to the video, in case it does not load for you, http://youtu.be/MlVBZKaJe_0

Last edited by SNiiP3R; 12-01-12 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 05:46 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

short but sweet... thanx. i think it's cool that you can switch the nav to the smaller screen. if you're on a well lit street it takes away what the NV was intended for. i would only use it on rural back roads, although i read where it's good for pedestrian detection. i still wish i had it with the LKA but as we both know it's either or. i think they should have put it where you can see it via HUD because you have to take your eyes off the road to look at your nav screen. do you find it distracting?
Old 12-01-12, 05:56 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
short but sweet... thanx. i think it's cool that you can switch the nav to the smaller screen. if you're on a well lit street it takes away what the NV was intended for. i would only use it on rural back roads, although i read where it's good for pedestrian detection. i still wish i had it with the LKA but as we both know it's either or. i think they should have put it where you can see it via HUD because you have to take your eyes off the road to look at your nav screen. do you find it distracting?
You can definitely see people much better at night using NV. However, as you've mentioned that you have to constantly take your eyes of the road and that could create problems. I also think that it's best to be used in rural areas, not cities. It would have been much better & probably safer if you could see it via HUD
Old 12-05-12, 05:17 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
You can definitely see people much better at night using NV. However, as you've mentioned that you have to constantly take your eyes of the road and that could create problems. I also think that it's best to be used in rural areas, not cities. It would have been much better & probably safer if you could see it via HUD
Good point about the NV requiring you to take your eyes off the road...that was the main reason I didn't order it on mine (initially, I was very interested in it).

The better way would be to project the display on the HUD, and/or have software analyze the image and alert the driver when something comes up. BMW and Mercedes do this better. Also, BMW uses passive, long wave IR, not requiring an illuminator.

Not much demand for NV on any brand of car, and it's not cheap...much like the pre-collision system.
Old 12-07-12, 02:48 PM
jsch222
Advanced

Received 258 Likes on 160 Posts

It's a pretty solid gadget, but I doubt the practicality of it. For one it's way to expensive. What is the percentage that you drive at night vs day? Of that night driving time when would you utilize this? For me it would be something for me to WOW my passengers, but would cause a major distraction if I used it on a normal basis.
Old 07-26-16, 01:53 AM
uaeimran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a brand new 2015 Lexus GS350 with full specs including Night Vision view and all. I was wondering if your car has got LDA (Lane Departure Alert)?
I was supposed to get it in mine but when it got delivered it didn't have that option on the steering :/

Old 07-26-16, 03:50 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Night vision was dropped in the US as an option. If I remember correctly though, you couldn't have the night vision and LKA on the same car. Something about the location of both camera systems interfering.
Old 07-26-16, 04:15 AM
uaeimran
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@yardie876

Right. Make sense though. That was a useful info thank you.