GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bridgestone Turanza's in snow...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-12, 12:39 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockyguy4u
Not getting the F-Sport just because of the tires is a pretty flimsy reason. There are so many pluses to the F-Sport (if nothing else, the great steering wheel!!!). So, yes, I would negotiate a tire swap with the dealer.
The F Sport's steering wheel is the same as the base model's steering wheel with the exception of the golf ball divots on the three and nine o'clock leather wraps and the six o-clock F Sport badge.

Interestingly, on the all-wheel-drive GS 350, the wheel and tire package is perhaps the only performance-oriented difference between the F Sport model and the Luxury model. A replacement set of tires would cost between $1,000 to $1,400. This does not include the cost of labor to install those tires.
Old 11-17-12, 01:25 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Outrage
The F Sport's steering wheel is the same as the base model's steering wheel with the exception of the golf ball divots on the three and nine o'clock leather wraps and the six o-clock F Sport badge.

Interestingly, on the all-wheel-drive GS 350, the wheel and tire package is perhaps the only performance-oriented difference between the F Sport model and the Luxury model. A replacement set of tires would cost between $1,000 to $1,400. This does not include the cost of labor to install those tires.
Not really the only difference. The AVS is tuned for more sportier ride in Sport + mode then in the luxury version. The 4 suspension bushings are stiffer and bigger with anti-roll bars. Also bigger brakes front and rear. Interior with aluminum trim, adjustable lower seat cushion with side bolsters. Etc.
Old 11-17-12, 03:09 PM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rexus300
Not really the only difference. The AVS is tuned for more sportier ride in Sport + mode then in the luxury version. The 4 suspension bushings are stiffer and bigger with anti-roll bars. Also bigger brakes front and rear. Interior with aluminum trim, adjustable lower seat cushion with side bolsters. Etc.
The GS 350 F Sport AWD uses the same 13.1" front brake rotors as the base and Luxury AWD models. The F Sport RWD is equipped with larger 14.0" brake rotors in the front. All of the GS (AWD and RWD) models use 12.2" rear brake rotors.

I've seen no evidence (differing part numbers) that there are unique stabilizer bars on the F Sport models.

As for the front seats:
  • The base model uses a 10-way adjustable driver's seat and a 10-way adjustable passenger seat with standard leather.
  • The F Sport uses a 16-way adjustable driver's seat and a 10-way adjustable passenger's seat with standard leather.
  • The Luxury uses an 18-way adjustable driver's seat and an 18-way adjustable passenger's seat with semi-aniline leather.

There is nearly price parity between the AWD F Sport and Luxury models.
Old 11-17-12, 04:40 PM
dochusar
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have my 350 F sport since mid-August and was concerned about the Bridgestone and not the all season Contis that are present on Audi's and Porsche's in the same tire size. I drove the car I the small nor'easter we had two weeks ago and was not impressed in the handling. I had ordered winter tires and decided to put them on in early rather than late November. Got Pirelli Sottozero II in the original tire size. What an improvement in handling and no vibration until they heat up. Next summer will need to get another tire rather than the crappy Bridgestone Turanza. Might get Pirelli P Zero's or Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 11-17-12, 10:27 PM
chiefguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hockyguy4u
Not getting the F-Sport just because of the tires is a pretty flimsy reason. There are so many pluses to the F-Sport (if nothing else, the great steering wheel!!!). So, yes, I would negotiate a tire swap with the dealer.
That's not the only reason...so not filmsy at all. The premium model is quite nice by itself and you get the fogs and much better tires, for example. Also get the same engine.
Old 11-18-12, 08:56 AM
Hockyguy4u
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dochusar
I have my 350 F sport since mid-August and was concerned about the Bridgestone and not the all season Contis that are present on Audi's and Porsche's in the same tire size. I drove the car I the small nor'easter we had two weeks ago and was not impressed in the handling. I had ordered winter tires and decided to put them on in early rather than late November. Got Pirelli Sottozero II in the original tire size. What an improvement in handling and no vibration until they heat up. Next summer will need to get another tire rather than the crappy Bridgestone Turanza. Might get Pirelli P Zero's or Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Exactly what I'm doing with my AWD F-sport. Putting on the Sottozero II's this week, and will get new performance tires next summer (and maybe new Vossen wheels, perhaps 20" for the summer)....although it seems a bit ridiculous to spend the $$$ for 2 new sets of tires and a new set of wheels ($5K total?) on a leased car!! I should have bought it! Who knew that I was going to love it this much?
Old 11-18-12, 09:07 AM
Hockyguy4u
Driver School Candidate

The GS 350 F Sport AWD uses the same 13.1" front brake rotors as the base and Luxury AWD models. The F Sport RWD is equipped with larger 14.0" brake rotors in the front. All of the GS (AWD and RWD) models use 12.2" rear brake rotors.

I've seen no evidence (differing part numbers) that there are unique stabilizer bars on the F Sport models.

As for the front seats:
  • The base model uses a 10-way adjustable driver's seat and a 10-way adjustable passenger seat with standard leather.
  • The F Sport uses a 16-way adjustable driver's seat and a 10-way adjustable passenger's seat with standard leather.
  • The Luxury uses an 18-way adjustable driver's seat and an 18-way adjustable passenger's seat with semi-aniline leather.

There is nearly price parity between the AWD F Sport and Luxury models.
Yep, for the AWD models, the difference between Luxury an F-Sport isnt that great. It's a matter of taste. I myself dont like wood trim all that much. I also love the cabernet interior of the F-Sport. That sold me. It's like being in a Modern Art museum.
However, I dont like the wheels on either the F-sport or Luxury, and plan on changing them out soon...
Old 11-20-12, 07:38 PM
Hockyguy4u
Driver School Candidate

Update:
I just put on Pirelli Sotozero II winter tires on the original rims, stock size 235/40/19. I decided to stay with the low-profile sizing, even though it can snow a lot in my area (Michigan). We'll see!

First impression: handling is clearly a lot better than with the lousy all-season Turanza's that come with the AWD F-Sport. The difference is amazing. And these are winter tires! So now I'm 100% sure that I'll ditch the Turanza's and get new wheels and performance tires next spring...
Honestly, if they had better tires on the AWD F-Sport models, they'd probably sell a lot more cars to those buyers who are cross-shopping this car with the 535xi.

Last edited by Hockyguy4u; 11-20-12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-21-12, 08:33 PM
Technophil
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also just put on Pirelli Sotozero II winter tires on a second set of original rims on my F Sport AWD and love them better than the original all season tires. I can't wait to try them in the snow. I live in Canada (Montreal) and are waiting for the first snowstorm of the season...

Last edited by Technophil; 11-21-12 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-25-12, 07:46 PM
chiefguy
Rookie

Default Lux wheels

I wanted the F sport but the dealer said they couldn't swap the wheels for the 18" premium wheels. I didn't want to have issues with potholes and snow. They are trying to get me into a lux package that has the 18" wheels and Michelin tires. But those lux wheels are not as nice as the prem wheels. Not sure what to do...
Old 11-25-12, 07:51 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like how my F-sport feels and drives with the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 winter tires on 18 inch rims. Its smooth, grippy, sharp handling, and low noise. Still waiting for the snow to come! I have the standard 19 inch and continental all season tires at a auto storage place.
Old 12-12-12, 09:20 PM
chiefguy
Rookie

The garbage OEM tires were one of the reasons I passed over the AWD F Sport model and purchased a Luxury model instead. There are no high performance all-season tires available in the AWD F Sport's stock tire size (235 / 40 R 19). There are lots of high performance all-season tires available in the AWD Luxury model's stock tire size (235 / 45 R 18). I'll probably switch to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires in the future if I stay with the stock wheels.
What color combo lux model did you get?
Old 12-13-12, 06:39 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chiefguy
What color combo lux model did you get?
Liquid Platinum over Flaxen

Later, an F Sport front bumper cover and rear valance was added.
Old 12-17-12, 05:51 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Mine came with Michilen Primacy MXM4 All Seasons. I think I will run them and see how they work out.
Okay...so today was the first real Vermont "winter" drive of the year. I am very impressed with the Michilen all seasons. At this point I see no reason to change over to full winter tires.

Right now I'm getting the best of both worlds...the quiet ride you want in a luxury car and the capability I need in the winter. SWEET!!!
Old 12-19-12, 06:11 PM
chiefguy
Rookie

The garbage OEM tires were one of the reasons I passed over the AWD F Sport model and purchased a Luxury model instead. There are no high performance all-season tires available in the AWD F Sport's stock tire size (235 / 40 R 19). There are lots of high performance all-season tires available in the AWD Luxury model's stock tire size (235 / 45 R 18). I'll probably switch to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires in the future if I stay with the stock wheels.
Hi, I just got the luxury model...I was wondering how you like the ride? It does feel a bit floaty, even in Sport + so I'm just a bit disappointed....love the car, but I guess I'm used to a bit of a tighter ride...I opted for the Lux model for the same reason you did....the tires and tire choices....how is the ride in your Lux? how is the body lean? I have the Dunlop tires

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Turanza's in snow...