GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 02:12 PM
PGA71
Intermediate

Received 379 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasrul3698
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALIGHTSTONE-...kPUf31uZDobm5Q
Been using this for a year and its excellent so far. Even my friends asked me to buy it for them
It came today and it is perfect!
Thank you so much.
Old 08-28-17, 03:06 PM
Nasrul3698
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PGA71
It came today and it is perfect!
Thank you so much.
glad to hear that! Enjoy
Old 11-09-17, 09:17 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts
Default 4GS cell phone holder solutions

What are you guys using for cell phone mounts in your 4GS's? I have a couple of vent clip on mount things from Amazon that seem to work OK but they get loose and I have to re adjust them every time I get
into the car. I had magnet mount jobs that clipped onto the vent too but those were too much of a pain in the ***, too. Plus on my Note 8 I can't use the magnet thing because it messes up my
inductive charging. (I have a Note 8 and an iPhone 7 Plus work phone). I want something durable that isnt a piece of crap and isn't a pain in the *** to
use. I have two cell phones to deal with so I have to mount 2, I usually put them on the center vents but I'm open to other ideas.

-Mike
Old 11-09-17, 09:37 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

https://www.mountek.com/shop/categor...s-and-phablets

Been using it for a while now. Stepped up to a RokForm ip7+ case that has a fixed magnet mount but i still have the snap 3 base and they’re perfect together.
The following users liked this post:
drgrant (11-09-17)
Old 11-09-17, 02:29 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
https://www.mountek.com/shop/categor...s-and-phablets

Been using it for a while now. Stepped up to a RokForm ip7+ case that has a fixed magnet mount but i still have the snap 3 base and they €™re perfect together.
I could only use that with my iPhone though, I still have two phones to deal with. I don't use the CD player that often but im trying to avoid blocking functionality too, lol.

Thanks also to whoever merged this thread.... that proclip looks like a beast, although not cheap, it would stop all the wobbling BS. I like the phones to basically stay put!

ETA: So that people understand where I'm coming from.... I've already gone through like $40+ worth of mounts.. and most of them
are junk.

These moved too much on the bottom, junk: (plus the magnet thing was a non starter for the Note 8 I just got, but thats a secondary problem compared to them just sucking)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TRQIXWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TRQIXWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-
Broke this when I tried to get my iPhone 7 Plus with UA case to fit onto it, was just too big for the mount, Partially my
fault, partially just junk... like who would think that stupid rubber things would hold phone in place? Me, apparently.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGF6JGX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XGF6JGX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-
Currently using these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TX6NVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073TX6NVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-
This sucks the least because it has clamp type thing but it is still very annoying because I pretty much have to
adjust them back into position every time I get into my car because they slowly loosen over time....

-Mike

Last edited by drgrant; 11-09-17 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 05:18 PM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I use this mount:
Amazon Amazon

I have a a slim case on my Samsung phone and it sticks to the mount without me having to add the magnet piece to my phone or case. I also have an iphone for work and the mount works with that device as well. However, i had to attach the magnet to the iphone case in order to have it stick to the mount when needed.
Old 04-06-18, 06:05 AM
Hudrock
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been using the Macally Adjustable Automobile Cup Holder a really like it. http://a.co/6x3m5Xt
It does take up one cup holder but since its usually just me driving and its easily removable I don't mind at all. Things I like about it is its very secure (cornering) and low profile so it doesn't block anything essential. The phone sits right above the mouse pad so its very easy to use (literally lift a finger from mouse pad) if needed and no more distracting than glancing at the radio if your using google maps. I like the Pro Clips product but it looks like it blocks part of the infotainment display on the GS. I personally wouldn't attach anything to the CD player or vents as I think this will either eventually damage your car or phone or both.
Old 04-25-18, 05:47 PM
Jdub765
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stuck part of a phone mount onto my dash for now. I just scanned my dash and I'm going 3D print a mount to go in the same spot since the gauge bezel is easily removed. I just gotta learn Fusion 360 first lol.
Old 06-22-18, 10:37 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

The above post is actually me, I forgot I had an account already. So I started learning Fusion 360, and here's the first version I had a shop print for me. Still needs tweaking, there's a gap on the bottom (I stuck some felt under there for testing), and the mount can flex forward a bit more than I'd like. I'm going to stick one of those magnet phone holders onto the front of it.

Old 06-23-18, 07:08 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Sinjimoru adhesive mount.
Provides charging and a solid hold that still allows use.
Have this in both cars, and it's great: small mount using 3M VHB adhesive pad.
Pair the phone w bluetooth and a use a 2.1a or 3.1a usb adapter for the fastest charging your phone support.

Mount w black wire
4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)-yb0fdmd.jpg

Mount w white wire and phone, bonus outrun wallpaper
4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)-81api3z.jpg
Old 06-24-18, 01:48 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathancl
Sinjimoru adhesive mount.
Provides charging and a solid hold that still allows use.
Have this in both cars, and it's great: small mount using 3M VHB adhesive pad.
Pair the phone w bluetooth and a use a 2.1a or 3.1a usb adapter for the fastest charging your phone support.

Mount w black wire

Mount w white wire and phone, bonus outrun wallpaper
How do you open your glove box?
Old 06-24-18, 08:18 AM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
How do you open your glove box?
You push the button: it's still there, right behind the phone, and there's plenty of clearance.
The way the dash is laid out, you have to obscure something, so I obscured the thing I use the least, button-wise.

4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)-gatuozw.jpg

Last edited by jonathancl; 06-24-18 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-31-18, 08:27 PM
DuB
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

4th and final version of my phone mount! SLS printed by Shapeways so it won't get all floppy in the heat lol. I made it to fit in the little nook to the left of the screen so it doesn't block it.

I used an adhesive magnetic mount, but I put in mounting holes too in case I want to change to a cradle or something else.

View from driver's position.
Old 08-01-18, 04:07 AM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by DuB
4th and final version of my phone mount! SLS printed by Shapeways so it won't get all floppy in the heat lol. I made it to fit in the little nook to the left of the screen so it doesn't block it.

I used an adhesive magnetic mount, but I put in mounting holes too in case I want to change to a cradle or something else.

View from driver's position.
Looks nice but my OCD will go crazy. I can't stand to see the navigation trim bent like that lol.
Old 08-03-18, 08:38 AM
DarthCholo
Pit Crew

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

My magnet mount location. Double sided tape. Doesn't clash with interior too much when phone doesn't leave my pocket. It does make it in this mount for my 30-60 minute commute every day. Moved it from my 535i where it worked fine for 2 yrs on a pixel2xl.

I didn't use my phone like a teenager so not worried about charging.

Quick Reply: 4GS FAQ - Cell phone mounts and holders (merged threads)