GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Battery died for no reason

Old 03-28-14, 07:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Probably, but even if it is you can buy AGM Die Hard batteries from Sears for $150.
Old 03-28-14, 09:09 AM
Polo708
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is the dealership warrantying our batteries if were under warranty? If I run auxiliary power for about 15 minutes then my car barely starts
Old 03-28-14, 09:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah if the battery is defective they will warranty it.
Old 07-23-14, 07:56 PM
fullofbs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default same problem

I had the same problem on my '13 gs350. Has happend twice to me in two months. Real pain is having to manually release the ebrake from the trunk. Took it into my dealership and they ran on all the test and said it was fine. They said they called Lexus and were recommend for me to not leave my door unlocked at night even when kept in the garage. They said for some reason this is an issue in draining the battery. **** sounds weird to me. I'm going to give Lexus a call myself tomorrow.
Old 07-24-14, 04:58 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fullofbs
They said they called Lexus and were recommend for me to not leave my door unlocked at night even when kept in the garage. They said for some reason this is an issue in draining the battery. **** sounds weird to me.
I have kept my GS350 in the garage at night with the doors unlocked for over 2 years and have had no battery problems. Sounds like they are blowing smoke on that one.
Old 07-28-14, 09:49 AM
lexusmavin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fullofbs
I had the same problem on my '13 gs350. Has happend twice to me in two months. Real pain is having to manually release the ebrake from the trunk. Took it into my dealership and they ran on all the test and said it was fine. They said they called Lexus and were recommend for me to not leave my door unlocked at night even when kept in the garage. They said for some reason this is an issue in draining the battery. **** sounds weird to me. I'm going to give Lexus a call myself tomorrow.
This suggestion may be a red herring in a sea of confusion. My first 2013 GS350 was repurchased and replaced (last March) by Lexus due to repeated instances of the battery mysteriously dying, and a few other issues. The new car has been perfect, so far. I always leave the car unlocked when in the garage.
Old 07-28-14, 01:15 PM
Cin8
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2013 GS and about 6 months ago, I had this exact problem. Was parked at the Airport garage for 4 days and could not get the car started. Had to call roadside assistance and they sent someone out to jump the car for me. The dealership didn't have any explanation beyond that the battery levels tested "normal" and it could just be the winter weather, parked for a long time, etc BS. Hubby then talked to a friend that works at another dealership who said that sometimes if you don't press the Start/Stop button hard enough, the car keeps the power on at a low level in the background, thus draining the battery.

I know this sounds hokey, but I've made sure to press it hard each time since and this problem hasn't happened again. I'm a road warrior and the car is mostly parked at the airport for days and I've had no issues starting the car since.
Old 07-28-14, 03:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cin8
Hubby then talked to a friend that works at another dealership who said that sometimes if you don't press the Start/Stop button hard enough, the car keeps the power on at a low level in the background, thus draining the battery.

I know this sounds hokey, but I've made sure to press it hard each time since and this problem hasn't happened again. I'm a road warrior and the car is mostly parked at the airport for days and I've had no issues starting the car since.
Your husbands friend is full of it LOL. The button is just a button, it doesn't know how hard its been pressed. if you press it and the car turns off...its off.

Its just one of those flukes that it happened once and hasn't happened again, its not because you "press the button hard".
Old 08-04-14, 12:35 AM
2013GS350F
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys - noticed a bunch of you are still having battery issues: You really need to ride your dealer. My GS F had under 5000 miles and was less than a year old. If it sat longer than 3-5 days the battery would die. 5 times this happened and every time I would jump the car, or call Lexus service or have the car towed in, they'd do a battery test and tell me everything is fine. Finally I said take the car, get me a loaner and you let the car sit over 3 days. Guess what - the car would not start, they did another test and it turned out the battery had a bad cell. They changed the battery (it was obviously a warranty issue) and I have not had an issue since!! If you have a new GS under warranty and have had multiple dead batteries INSIST on a new battery! Hope this info helps!

Last edited by 2013GS350F; 08-04-14 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-10-14, 10:36 AM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi guys, thought I'd share a sad upside down pic of my LS with dead battery, had to get towed, they charged it for 20 minutes but wasn't enough tried to tell the guy not to tow it because I knew dealer was closed but went ahead and agreed to tow it, when we got to dealer I told him to hook it up again and boom started right up. Battery was good, my problem was I left the engine running I think, was headed to beach and I'm thinking it shut down and radio/dvd kept playing, real weird. Anyways I'm thinking of going to a new GS, these are some interesting stories though, looks like easier way to go is to get that jump kit you plug in the cigarette lighter for all of us.
Attached Thumbnails Battery died for no reason-20140713_182400-1-.jpg  
Old 08-19-14, 02:54 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts

My battery died a few months ago (had the car for a year and a few months) and so I took it to the Service Center (San Jose, CA). They tested it and told me that it failed, so they replaced it free of charge!

Originally Posted by 2013GS350F
Hey guys - noticed a bunch of you are still having battery issues: You really need to ride your dealer. My GS F had under 5000 miles and was less than a year old. If it sat longer than 3-5 days the battery would die. 5 times this happened and every time I would jump the car, or call Lexus service or have the car towed in, they'd do a battery test and tell me everything is fine. Finally I said take the car, get me a loaner and you let the car sit over 3 days. Guess what - the car would not start, they did another test and it turned out the battery had a bad cell. They changed the battery (it was obviously a warranty issue) and I have not had an issue since!! If you have a new GS under warranty and have had multiple dead batteries INSIST on a new battery! Hope this info helps!
Old 08-21-14, 04:26 AM
JayRo354
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more dead battery victim here. I actually had to feel this pain twice since it also happened with my 14 IS250 as well. I had a portable charger handy (bought it initially for the IS)but I never thought I would need it for my GS. Two Panasonic batteries that under performed over 2 different models. (flags are flying ) Ponied up for a new Die Hard since I had no faith in the stock of batteries at the dealership.( and I had some words with the dealership over the IS when they gave me excuses when I asked for a new battery up front then) Drama free now and starts like a champ. I had to use my key from the fob to get in the car only to hear my engine go tick tick tick. I hope nobody saw me jump starting a new Lexus(embarrassing) but I did my walk of shame with my Die Hard charger in hand.
Old 08-27-14, 07:22 AM
DarkMastyr
Driver School Candidate

Our 2013 GS350 AWD had to be jump started 3 times in the last year, once when it was relatively new, and a couple more times recently. The car is driven daily as a commuter. Dealership said battery itself was fine, but was a little low on state of charge, which didn't make a lot of sense since we had to drive it about 30 min. to the dealership. Of course, they gave us some BS about how these "newer" cars don't fully charge the 12V battery after even 2 hrs of driving.

Our own inspection found the electrolyte level to be pretty low in at least one of the cells. When we hooked up a CTEK charger to the battery, it would never fully charge. Listening carefully, we could actually hear the bubbling as the electrolyte was being boiled off, which should definitely not happen. Seeing as how it wasn't worth our time to fight the dealership on this one, we just went to Sears and got a Diehard Gold AGM replacement for $150 and called it a day. Charges up just fine with the CTEK now. We'll see if we have any more issues.
Old 09-16-14, 02:51 PM
Johnny8256
Driver School Candidate

Default Battery died for no reason

I have owned my 2013 Lexus GS 350 since May 2012 and the battery has died three times for no reason. It is very discouraging to have this problem with such an expensive car. I have previously owned two ES vehicles and never had this problem. I believe there is something wrong with the electrical system but the dealer's service department says No. I would like to be able to resolve this problem. I am concerned about losing power while the car is moving.
Old 09-16-14, 05:59 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Originally Posted by Johnny8256
I have owned my 2013 Lexus GS 350 since May 2012 and the battery has died three times for no reason. It is very discouraging to have this problem with such an expensive car. I have previously owned two ES vehicles and never had this problem. I believe there is something wrong with the electrical system but the dealer's service department says No. I would like to be able to resolve this problem. I am concerned about losing power while the car is moving.
You won't, if the car is running the battery isn't providing any power, the alternator is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Battery died for no reason